Is our society changing ........... becoming more religiously polarized?

by tyydyy 26 Replies latest jw friends

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

I realize that it's entirely possible that I'm seeing things from my own perspective only but I've noticed a increasingly powerful voice speaking for religious thoughts in world politics. Are we seeing a return to a Victorian age? Is that possible? Am I just paranoid?

I'm noticing on the talk radio stations that the "conservative" hosts have no problem inserting their religious beliefs in their opinions instead of a logic that applies to people of all religion. Since 9-11 I've seen ........... noticed that people are beginning to blame a specific religion or lack of a specific religion for our fears. I know that for those inside a religion like the Borg this kind of attitude is nothing new but on the news and in the mouths of the politicians there is a lot of issues that are really religious debates such as the Terry Shiavo thing or the Gay Marriage battle not to mention the current "Crusade" in the Middle East.

Am I just unrealisticly wishing that the rest of the world will wake up from their faith based coma?

TimB

PS. I know it's been a while since I've posted so I'd like to say hello to all my old friends. "Hello old friends!"

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Opposite thing in Canada. Talk show hosts are PC liberals, and religious people are moved to the corners of society, which, if you ask me, is the thing that breeds extremism.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I think it is an American phenomenon ... one that will hopefully end very soon!

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

PS. I think that the problem isn't religion, it's Americans and the mob-mentality of Americans.

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

Yes, here in America we've seen some scary changes since Bush has been in office and the Republicans have won the Congress. Big Brother is getting bigger and the "religious right" have been flexing their newfound muscles but it does surprise me that they are meeting with very little resistance. Is the general public showing it's tacit approval?

TimB

• Satanus
    Satanus

This is an interesting topic. I am interested in hearing other opinions. Also, i will give mine.

I don't think that all the agnostics and new agers have just disappeared or joined in. They are probably laying low. I think that a large part of the population has been bamboosled or zombified by the media. The govt and the corps have a huge influence on media. Also, methods of conditioning the public through media has been studied and experimented w for a few decades now. I have read some studies of how news reports at first come out w a load of bs, then are slowly changed, while the original false idea still remains in the publics mind, and built on w other falsehoods. The iraq wmd is just one example.

I'm quite sure that govt, media corps/hollywood and govt have found a cozy and mutual arrangement whereby they can all benefit from working together in the shepherding of the 'little people' (remember blade runner?). I read reports of the bush admin manufacturing propagand which was read as solid news by the media.

The funny thing is that in a study that was mentioned here on this site, it was found that college kids felt that americans have too much freedom. The manipulation is working.

S

• Valis
    Valis

More than anything I am more concerned about the megachurchification of the States. There are a lot of them and the have the ability to utilize a lot of political power...even moreso I think than a lot of the fundamentalist collection of smaller individual churches like the Southern Baptist. If we could keep them a larger political issues as a group I wouldn't care what they do with their Sunday mornings.

SIncerely,

District Overbeer

• talesin
    talesin

S

Do you find it telling that Frank McKenna is our new US Ambassador? Can you say ... 'good old boy'?

t

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing
    Is the general public showing it's tacit approval?

I think they are, but not intentionally. A lot of Americans are just not involved. They go about their daily life and do little more than bitch and complain about how things are (or are becoming). It has always been this way (at least for many many years), but the difference is that I see a big movement in right-wing religions getting involved in government and politics, and *the rest of us* are just now starting to look around and say WTF?

Albert Einstein said that Americans will put with anything provided it doesn't block traffic! I think this so true! Americans have to feel it (what "it" is) impact their daily lives enough before most of us will even feel complelled to do anything about it.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Talesin

Haven't read about the guy. But, i read about lots of good old boyism.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit