If the Watchtower crumbles will God survive?

by truth_about_the_truth 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

I found this interesting essay at http://www.jwinfoline.com/Documents/Watchtower_organization/if_the_wt_crumbles_will_God_survive.htm that I would like to share:

The Dilemma

What happens when an organization claiming to be the only ones who speak for God has its veil pulled back so that many, perhaps for the first time, see the fallible humanity behind the claim? For Jehovah's Witnesses who have come face to face with immorality amongst the leadership, favoritism for one person over another when dealing with sin, inconsistency in organizational policy or unscriptural doctrinal teachings, the effects can be devastating. Because the Watchtower Society demands from their followers unconditional affirmation that their organization is divinely directed by God in all they do, a Witness who sees otherwise is faced with living a lie or finding themselves outside the boundaries of the Watchtower.

How does a Witness view God when the organization loses its hold?

How does a Jehovah's Witness view God when they have seen the human nature of the Watchtower organization? It is not uncommon in this situation for a Witness to begin to doubt that there even is a God. For years or even decades these Witnesses have trusted an organization to reveal God to them. Their future hope for a new life in a better world has revolved around the activities and teachings of just one organization. They have been taught that to doubt the organization is tantamount to doubting God and so nagging doubts and questions not originating from the Society's approved questions at the bottom of the page of Watchtower material has been delegated to the back of their mind. However when a Witness is exposed to undeniable proof that the Watchtower is not the faithful, pure organization that they were led to believe it was, the questions and doubts that they have pushed aside now flood their mind. If the Watchtower is unfaithful, is God now himself unfaithful? If the Watchtower leadership has acted immorally or treated their followers with little respect does that mean that God no longer cares for truth or that he no longer loves the Witness? Sadly some have concluded that God is as changeable as the Watchtower Society itself, that he is unreachable or worse yet that he does not exist.

Where can they find faith?

Witnesses whose scarred faith survives their exit from the Watchtower organization can find faith and hope within the words of the Bible. God himself is not ignorant of organizations that seek to elevate themselves to the position of doorkeeper to God. He has given us warnings in scripture to counteract their claims. In Psalms 146:3, 4 he says "Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save. When their spirit departs, they return to the ground; on that day their plans come to nothing." God has emphatically said for us not to trust men for our salvation, yet the Watchtower says, "And while now the witness yet includes the invitation to come to Jehovah's organization for salvation..." The Watchtower,

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

I think that the disillusionment that is experienced by ppl who have been duped by a religion that equates itself to God himself unfortunately results in rejection of God altogether in some cases. Kind of a "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" for lack of a better analogy. I think this essay helps keep things in perspective.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I believe that many would become atheists. For others, it depends on who they have to turn to who are already on the outside. For even others, they may band together and form their own religions, starting out as independant bible study groups to figure out what went wrong.

J

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

Sorry this part got left out:

Has the Watchtower taken Jesus' spot?

In John 14:6 the Bible says, "Jesus answered, ?I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the father except through

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

Crap! why doesnt this cut and paste work right?

In John 14:6 the Bible says, "Jesus answered, ?I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the father except through

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

AARRGGHH! Here goes again

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

Forget it. take a look at the link. ****growls***

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Really it depends upon the persons reason for leaving and the standard of truth they will then adopt. Some have left the organization (or other churches) over doctrinal differences and so may feel inclined to start a new religion or find a church that endorses their opinion. In some cases they may sour on organized religion but essentially retain the belief system. Others, such as many here, have taken the bitter experience as a lesson in critical thinking. How was it that I believed the WT was the agent of God? what was wrong with my reasoning? I do not want to repeat this error and so must force myself to acknowledge that I had accepted extraodinary claims uncritically. I did not insist upon a high enough standard of evidence.

This new outlook transforms a person into someone much more alert and conscious of shallow propaganda and poor argumentation. What many have, after investigation, found is that supernatural claims and superstitions can be analysed and researched soberly without fear or emotionalism.

As for myself I thew out the bathwater and found there was no baby, only a reflection of myself.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Yeah,, whatever Pete said Actually I have to post it:

I do not want to repeat this error and so must force myself to acknowledge that I had accepted extraodinary claims uncritically. I did not insist upon a high enough standard of evidence.

This new outlook transforms a person into someone much more alert and conscious of shallow propaganda and poor argumentation. What many have, after investigation, found is that supernatural claims and superstitions can be analysed and researched soberly without fear or emotionalism.

As for myself I thew out the bathwater and found there was no baby, only a reflection of myself.

It can tremendously change your whole out look very radically,,once you see that.

• Ticker
    Ticker

Heres my reflection on this issue from someone who has just recently went through such a transition.

First off, yes it's hard to rebuild faith in a God that was put on an equal scale with a human organization. I remember when I first struggled with the thought that the Watchtower could possibly be wrong, I prayed for help from God to steer me in the right direction and if what I was learning was wrong then to show me my error. Somehow or something kept me pursuing further and further, as I only prayed to know the truth. It was a very difficult period, and honestly I struggled with feelings of apathy. I felt that their can't be a God because he had to have an organization or at least some physical presence on earth and I could no longer accept the watchtower, so I could no longer accept God. I struggled with this for sometime but I thought about it and began to see organized religion as a crutch. Its a crutch in the sence that it spells out all the answers in black and white, does all the thinking for you, and gives you a purpose in life whether it is correct or not. To me it was the easy way as no thinking was required. I began to reflect on what a personal relationship with God and his son truly means. Does it mean depending on imperfect men for all the answers to life, or rather does it mean doing our own leg work and searching his word for our own answers? Who is the truth and the life? An organization of humans or is it Christ as the scriptures so clearly spell out?

I began to think about the road that is broad and spacious and the one that is cramped and narrow. Is the cramped narrow road the one where you have all answers given to you by imperfect men or does it involve effort on each individuals part to make the truth their own. I believe that the narrow road signifies ones who don't rely on a crutch for their salvation but rather rely on Christ and his Father. I admit it is much easier to have all the supposed answers then to rely on faith alone, but what does God truly require of us? I can understand why many feel apathetic when leaving such high pressure-all questions answered organizations, its an enormous task to be responsible for ones own salvation, rather then ride the curtails of a large group. In all honesty though our salvation rests in Christ and not in being part of a group, as the scriptures state in Acts chapter 4:12 "Their is no salvation in anyone else, for their is not another name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved." No group or organization today can or rightfully has authourity to claim that it is the key to salvation as we are warned in 1st Corinthians chapter 3:11 "For no man can lay any other foundation than what is laid, which is Jesus Christ." The key thought is as a witness you are taught to view an organization as critical to salvation, and this is one of the major detrimental attacks on faith in God. Faith in God becomes blended with faith in the Watchtower to the point that the two are no longer distinguishable but become one. So when one leaves the watchtower they feel they must also leave God or cease belief in a creator. Its disheartening to see it happen to individuals but I hope in time they may rehabilitate their faith in God aside from a legalistic organization. I feel its unfair to peg God in the same hole as the watchtower, please remember God was not behind the hyprocrisy and injustice, it was men who had no authortiy to place themselves in the position they have.

God is not so far off that you need to belong to a group to be his follower, remember that he searches hearts, not numbers and affiliations. The first century congregations were not legalistic and organized, they were only united in brotherhood of love on the basis of Christ's sacrifice. Their were no leaders for all were to be brothers, as only Christ was the rightful leader, no governing body's to lord it over ones, bible trained conciences were to be guides not an implemented regime of rules, love was to prevail not prejudice, arrogance, and judgemental attitudes. Centralized authority did not even exist until the second century as ones struggled for power within the congregations, and began to implement structured doctrines, forcing their ideals upon ones bible trained consciences. This has continued down till our day and parallels the Watchtowers approach. They on one hand give lip service to a personal relationship with God and on the other hand force ones to conform to their ideals and make that relationship a binding contract with the Watchtower Organization. This in no way coincides with any scriptural backing. They have essentially took the stand of the pharisee's and other 2cd century religious authority figures. In no way had Jesus ever promoted such an idea of a authority structure as exists today. His message was freedom not religious oppression, and he suffered the same persecutions as ones today who endevor to worship through spirit and truth. He was attacked by religious authority as a heritic and a blashphemer, much the same as ones today who seek a sole personal relationship with him outside of and religious authoritive organization.

I have managed to rebuild my faith in God and his son, and feel fully confident putting my trust in Christ and his Father alone. I do not need the easy road of a large number orgnization to stimulate feelings of eliteism and rightness through a strength in numbers, rather I choose the hard road of sole trust in God and his promises. For this I have much greater satisfaction and fullness then I ever did as a Witness, and my wish would be that ones who exit the Organization would also be able to seperate the two and place honour, love, faith, and trust where it truly belongs, in God and his son, Christ Jesus, the only truth and the only life that we as humans can depend on. Please don't lose faith in our only saviour and true head over the injustices of human authority, but rather take delight that as Christ was persecuted so will we as we strive to follow his example. Don't let a Organization in sheeps clothing ruin the precious relationship offered to each and every person, as we are all important to him no matter how small we may seem in the whole realm of things.

Ticker

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit