IBM unveils new nanomechanical storage system: 1 terabyte per square inch!

by seattleniceguy 11 Replies latest jw friends

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

The new storage system has been tested reading and overwriting 10,000 times, showing it has what it takes to be used as reusable storage. It writes onto a polymer film at a density of 1000 GB per square inch. Wow!
    http://www.physorg.com/news3361.html

Toshiba has also just unveiled a new battery that can recharge in one minute. This will allow more complete capturing of otherwise wasted energy, for example, in deceleration of cars and trains. Expect ever better hybrid technologies.
    http://www.physorg.com/news3539.html

Man, I love technology!

SNG

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

I also love technology, and am now drooling over the keyboard.

Hopefully Apple will put the new battery technology to good use, I hate having to wait four hours for the iPod to recharge to just have it usable for 5-7 hours (i've the 20GB one, 4th gen., but it's battery sucks).

• Bas
    Bas

1 terabyte......I think you can put a medium public library on that. Also it's not that much if you consider going to the computershop now and you'll find out that most computers are fitted with a 200gigabyte harddisks. It's about a thousandfold increase in about 12 years (200meg was the average back then) hmmm, I wonder if we'll have 200 terabyte harddisks in 12 years from now, ....I think we will actually.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Oops, correction: that's 1 terabit. Still very impressive though.

SNG

• Satanus
    Satanus

Bas

Yah, i think so. Inner space is mostly empty. Might as well use it.

S

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Bas actually we're talking about 1 tb per square inch. Your old hdd probably did 200 MB per square foot.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Hold On - It reads Giga bit - not Giga byte - not quite so flash - my computer has several times this storage.

• TheOneBuck
    TheOneBuck

It is either ProtgterGamble or Johnson/Johnson that has a patent on using a prizim cube for memory storage. It is based on light refraction and it is said that one face of of 1 in cube can store the entire Library of Congress on it. That is just freaking awsome....

Hybrids will be so awsome, imagine gas stations that you can go to and charge up instead of filling up.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

ballistic, it's 1 terabit = 1/8 of a terabyte = 125 GB per square inch of polymer film. When released for consumer applications, they will probably be stacked or otherwise made to have a storage surface area much larger than a square inch. Imagine, a terabyte in your pocket!

• The Leological One
    The Leological One
    Imagine, a terabyte in your pocket!

That sounds like an old Dungeons and Dragons monster~! ()

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit