I think ill start reading the Bible

by crizlee 3 Replies latest jw friends

• crizlee
    crizlee

At tonights book study I was bored and started reading the Bible starting from Genesis...and damn its interesting. I got to chapter 12 in a hour session. 7 is used a lot. Noah was drunk and got naked, his sons walked in on him and were disgusted and covered him up. He got pissed off at one of em who didnt even cover him up and made him into a slave hahahha wouldnt expect that from the only righteous man on earth. Jehovah cursed a lot of things especially the snake. Jehovah allowed man to live to an avg 900 years to make life. Later life expectancy decreased because the Earth was populated.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

crizlee

I love the Bible myself - I read it daily. Reading it for understanding is the first step to finding real truth.

Take care -

Jeff

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    I just like reading old litarature and history. Maybe I should change my major from Aerospace Engineering to Archaeologist..I still have time before college starts. What do you guys think? Would that be a good move? Hell I made A's in US and World History. It came easy to me.

You have to remember the audience for whom Genesis is written: the Middle Eastern equivalent of hicks. Not saying this disparaginly, but I mean, at that time, the descendents of Abraham were simply tent dwellers with little or no metropolitan civilization. Genesis is written in terms that would be easy for such people to understand, especially if it came down through oral tradition before Moses supposedly wrote it (many Jews and Christians hold Moses to be the writer of the Pentateuch, but some-most modern scholars say that is impossible; of course, everyone has their bias).

Just so you know, archaeology doesn't have very many or well-paying jobs. You can still take an archaeology minor (maybe) while taking engineering, it depends on your university. Personally, if I had a strong ability in physics, I would go into engineering (but I never took physics, got 99% on my Math 12 provincial examination, though). I'm in Classics right now, if you're wondering, although I'm thinking of doing some linguistics.

If you want semi-objective notes for your bible, buy the Catholic New American Bible (not the New American Standard Bible). Even though they notes are written by the Confraternity for Christian Doctrine, they regularly call into question the authenticity and realism of the majority of texts in the Bible.

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

crizlee:

I have read that Ham did not just fail to cover Noah but that Ham performed a sexual act on Noah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit