Sport: bringing out the worst in JWs

by Pleasuredome 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

This has been a rant of mine on other threads, playing sports with JW's was the worst. I will also say the only serious injury I ever recieved (played high school & college) was from playing with the JW's, go figure.

• Golf
    Golf

I've played amatuer sports all my life and pro sports, witness or not, you get to see another side of a person.

Golf

• R6Laser
    R6Laser

I remember when I used to play football with them. Once this guy got hit so hard at a football game after the meeting that he was taken to the hospital for a concussion. After that the elders banned playing football between congregations and they even gave a local needs talk about it. I remember playing basketball against some of the elders and when they would guard me I would bump them back into the lane real hard to back them up and enjoy while doing that. It was the only time when roug physical play was allowed with the elders playing and I made sure they felt it. When playing football we usually made teams pitting congregations against each other, so we would always pride ourselves in who would hit the brother from the other congregation the hardest.

• avishai
    avishai
    remember playing basketball against some of the elders and when they would guard me I would bump them back into the lane real hard to back them up and enjoy while doing that. It was the only time when roug physical play was allowed with the elders playing and I made sure they felt it. When playing football we usually made teams pitting congregations against each other, so we would always pride ourselves in who would hit the brother from the other congregation the hardest.

Dude!! Why?

• Smoky
    Smoky

Wow, back in my younger days we played football against other neighboring congregation teams. It was fun but very competetive and rough... i have seen many injuries from black eyes, blown knees, seperated shoulders, broken collar bones. We once had to take 2 guys had to go to the hospital after 10 minutes of playing, cause of the brutal tackling.

I do remember that it did bring out the worst in da brothas (MS included), from cussing, to all out royal rumbles. But it was pretty much what happened on the field stayed on the field...cause no one ever got in trouble.

Soccer was a different story cause of the number of elders that participated, and all wearing there favorite team jersey. It got so bad the C.O, had to put a stop to these weekly matches, ou could have swore they were wordly people playing.

ah the good old days.

smoky

(p.s. i am one of those fools who got there Knees blown out)

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

The weekend soccer matches were the only thing I enjoyed when I was a dub. We actually had a decent team as 2 of our team played for Leeds Utd juniors and another played for Halifax reserves. There was a mix of elders, ex-JW's and a couple of worldly? players who we said were studying but they weren't really. We played against other congs. and usually thrashed them on our home ground. We weren't invincible though as on away matches we didn't seem to play as well.

We had numerous local needs talks about not being too competitive or using bad language etc but everyone ignored them. It was too much fun and a good way to let off some steam. Also a good opportunity to give some of the elders a good kicking

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit