I need Help on a Research Project

by JustMeNonJDub 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

You can read my story "A Fallen Away Catholic Comes Home by Claude Kenneson" at

http://www.catholicxjw.com/conversions.html

• Valis
    Valis

People become JWs the same reason railiroad hobos sang this song...At the end of the journey everyone wants a paradise..

1. On a summer day
    In the month of May
    A burly bum came hiking
    Down a shady lane
    Through the sugar cane
    He was looking for his liking
    As he roamed along
    He sang a song
    Of the land of milk and honey
    Where a bum can stay
    For many a day
    And he won't need any money

Chorus:
    Oh the buzzin' of the bees
    In the cigarette trees
    Near the soda water fountain
    At the lemonade springs
    Where the bluebird sings
    On the big rock candy mountain

2. There's a lake of gin
    We can both jump in
    And the handouts grow on bushes
    In the new-mown hay
    We can sleep all day
    And the bars all have free lunches
    Where the mail train stops
    And there ain't no cops
    And the folks are tender-hearted
    Where you never change your socks
    And you never throw rocks
    And your hair is never parted
    Chorus:

3. Oh, a farmer and his son,
    They were on the run
    To the hay field they were bounding
    Said the bum to the son,
    "Why don't you come
    To that big rock candy mountain?"
    So the very next day
    They hiked away,
    The mileposts they were counting
    But they never arrived
    At the lemonade tide
    On the big rock candy mountain
    Chorus

• Honesty
    Honesty

I was going through a divorce and my business was tied up in our estate. A friend had grown up as a JW, left and went back. He invited me to the Kingdom Hall and I got love bombed. The rest is a 15 year nightmare of Hell and cognitive dissonance until I became a loathsome apostate.

• kls
    kls

Mine and Kazar 's recruitment are exactly the same.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

I was born in it. So was my mum and her mum before that. I suspect my father joined to piss off his parents, seriously.

• JustMeNonJDub
  • Effervescent
    Effervescent

I was born into it, my grandmother on my fathers side was the first to convert. We weren't really active though until I was about 8 or so. From then on my father worked his way up the ladder to power and things got worse and worse in our family. At 17 I decided I couldn't believe the same things he told me I HAD to believe and escaped by leaving home and the state. I'm just glad I found the strength to do it. If I hadn't done it then Im afraid I would never had and I'd probably have swallowed a bottle of pills long ago.

• La Capra
    La Capra

I was born into it. At the end of 1967. About two years before I was born, my second brother was born and my mother decided to give up her teaching career to raise her children. My mother is a brilliant, well-educated, very articulate person. My father, on the other hand, while quite bright, was not well-educated, and enjoyed simple things like watching television and reading books about history, and is not very social or talkative.

About a year before I was born, my mother miscarried her third pregnancy, and I can only guess at her devastation-and all the self-loathing that goes with a failed pregnancy. She must have been depressed, and feeling very unimportant-just a mom with two toddler boys at home, and a husband who didn't challenge her intellect.

Then one day (probably about the time she got pregnant with me), an old man with not only a Swedish accent, but a speech impediment, knocked on her door, while she was up to her nose in dirty diapers and Cheerios, offering her a paradise (where miscarriages never happened) of perfection, and a pseudo-intellectual pursuit to fill & sustain her mental cravings. They got her when she was weak, insecure, and feeling unappreciated. I am sure she was love-bombed. And she was educated-a real catch for the dubs back then (and probably still now).

A few months after I was born my mom got baptised and is still, to this day, fully ensconced in the cult. I have one brother who is "sort of" in, but my other brother and I are out. My dad never joined. And for all the times he could have left us and gotten himself a normal life and family, he stayed. What character! I know that was a true parental sacrifice on his part - not to leave - when leaving could have been so easy.

And as for my mom, because she is married to an unbeliever, she will never be in "the in crowd" that she so longs to join, nearly 40 years, never being good enough. What a waste.

Shoshana

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

I was born into it.

A few years before I was born my mother (2nd generation JDub) had an elder visit here at home. My father was not present, just mom, and my two bothers (5 and 6 at the time) and my sister(baby).

My mother was drifting away and hence the visit. The elder told my mom that if she turned her back on Jehovah that not only would she die at arrmagedon, but also her three children, pointing at each one individualy. Scared her enough to go back.

steve

• lilbit
    lilbit

I know my parents became JWs to save their marriage. I guess it worked they are still together. I dont think they will ever understand how badly they messed up their kids though

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit