Is the "new light" doctrine scriptural?

by jaffacake 18 Replies latest jw friends

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

I already heard one argument on this, that the Scripture referred to (Proverbs 4:18) in context was actually advice of a father to his son on how during his life he would continue to grow spiritually throughout his life.

But a closer look shows that there is no mention at all of new light, in any context. It says "but the path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly estblished" [analogy: from darkness of the night gradually to the full light of the day?]

The Society's "new" light repeatedly reveals that what they previously taught was false. Until 1980, organ transplants were forbidden, this was either true or false teaching. Then the Governing Body reversed its decision, was this truth building upon truth, or a reversal in doctrine?

Even the old watchtower taught there could be more clarity, or fuller understanding of a teaching, but not a reversal of that teaching.

Sorry if this is obvious, but I'm new to all this, and although I've read that verse several times before, the truth of it just hit me!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    although I've read that verse several times before, the truth of it just hit me!

QED.

Seriously now, it is just the JW way to cope with doctrinal change, perhaps not qualitatively so different from what you can find in other religions. The old Jewish way was to rewrite history, the later rabbinical way was the oral law, the Catholic way was the ongoing tradition... you can hear some Evangelicals speaking of "progressive revelation" and "illumination"...

Of course the amount of "new light" (which sometimes is actually older light made new) in the comparatively short history of the WTBTS is just amazing.

Farkel made a very insightful remark yesterday, that JWs must never be too fond of their present light if they are always expecting a new one...

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

"new light" is really a trigger word for JWs... a way to explain away anything that might trouble them. It stops them from asking questions. They must accept all "new light" as part of their faith. Thus the society can call any change "new light" and it has immediate credibility. It's not scriptural at all. I even pointed this out to an elder, even read the scripture. to him. His answer was that it didn't matter if it wasn't in the Bible. We were to follow the FDS.

Just another reason I'm no longer there.

Coffee

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I think it is interesting that dub New Light is rarley the result of study or Holy Spirit. It is almost always the result of Old Light being positively observed as being wrong.

1975 came and went--- 1975 need new light about how long adman might have been alone.

The 70 or 80 year generation mark passed in 1994--- 1995 we need to redefine the word generation.

The serperating work was dragging on and on. New light to show we werent seperating.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

I always thought that the new light was from the book of Revelations. I can't really remember it all that well, but something about the light gets brighter and something about water flowing from the Kingdom.

It does come from some scripture quote though from Revelations. I am pretty sure.

BUT as with everything else, they quote 1 sentence and then use it a thousand times out of context to base an entire doctrine.

• mustang
    mustang

In a similar fashion: It?s like the "tacking" analogy/metaphor. The tacking maneuver in sailing allows one to "go against the wind" by cutting ACROSS it (the wind). Tacking does not admit to the useless practice of continuously reversing direction and going back and forth, to no useful purpose. Unfortunately, JW?s use the frequent reversal scheme instead of any real adjustment by design.

Mustang

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

New Light from an old flashlight. Change of Batteries or Bulb?

I still like the scriptures

Deut. 18:20-22

1 John 4:1-6

How to determine false prophets, and testing doctrine.

• bonnzo
    bonnzo

IP-SEC

don't know about you, but the only time i see new light is when the old one burns out! time to change the bulb!

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Exactly bonnzo

• The Leological One
    The Leological One
    "new light" is really a trigger word for JWs... a way to explain away anything that might trouble them. It stops them from asking questions. They must accept all "new light" as part of their faith. Thus the society can call any change "new light" and it has immediate credibility. It's not scriptural at all. I even pointed this out to an elder, even read the scripture. to him. His answer was that it didn't matter if it wasn't in the Bible. We were to follow the FDS.

Just another reason I'm no longer there.

Coffee

Can't blame you there~!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit