How can I prove to my wife the WT false prophecy quotes are real?

by The Leological One 22 Replies latest jw friends

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

Hi,

My wife's just started reading through a list of false prophecies, and I'm wondering how I can prove these quotes are real and not just put up by people who hate the WT? Many of these are really old, i.e. the ones dealing with 1925~!

Thanks for any help or advice~!

• blondie
    blondie

http://quotes.watchtower.ca/

Use this site to get the location in the WT publications. Then use whatever you have in your library (WT-CD or hardbound) or the KH library or from someone who has been a JW a loooooooooong time.

All the quotes from that website are word for word from the publications.

Love, Blondie

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Ask her what SHE would accept as proof, then explore the possiblility of fulfilling that requirement.

If she says she would have to see a watchtower from 1890, for example, help her to appreciate that finding an original hard copy is going to be pretty time-consuming and expensive. Does she insist on pursuing this, or would she accept scanned images of the pages?

..and YES, scanned page images can be counterfeit. Let's not pretend they can't be. What we need to look at is the possible motives for forgery of a professional like, say, Research Applications International. If he produced forged documents his business would be worth zero.

On the other hand, if the TRUTH would prove those other quotes are based on distortions and lies, why doesn't the WATCHTOWER make the genuine documents available to refute the liars?

If you're in NYC, maybe you can arrange to visit the Bethel Library for some personal research.

Do any UN officials have a Bethel Library Card?

• minimus
    minimus

Nathan---u sooo bad. Leave the UN alone.

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

Thanks Blondie and Nathan~! I have a little thin book with some WT old quotes printed in a scanned manner in it and have been thinking about trying to find a way to get the 50 year CD for a while now and surely will soon. I don't know any current JW's that would willingly help to get access to old books or anything, though; I live in Oklahoma but would love to be able to check out the east coast someday~!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

The solution is very simple.

Have her write the WTS requesting photocopies of the literature in question. Make sure the letter offers to pay a reasonable "processing fee". The letter should include something like:

I am willing to pay up to $10.00 (US) for any processing fees related to this request. If it will cost more, please notify me what the expense will be before the work is performed.

The reason you do this is so that they cannot charge you $1,000.00 to scan a few pages and then sue you for the costs. (Yes, some places will do that.)

If she can't trust a photocopy from the Watchtower Society, what can she trust?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I hope that works for you. My wife refuses to read any articles I've printed out right off the CD. She wont even look at them on the computer screen.

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

If you are talking to someone who is everything she can to hang on to her beliefs, then nothing is going to help.

The last time I talked to my JW friend, he said something about not expecting to live this long and I stupidly asked why (actually I'd just been talking to a couple of other friends who said the same thing which was shy I didn't immediately connect.) He said "my early religious training." I blinked and said "of course, how insensitive of me." And then he said it was a result of his "immature thinking." In my usual tactful way I said "how can you say that--it is an explicit teaching even now!" And that, of course, ended the conversation.

I don't understand the appeal of this particular cult to this particular person, but I am finally accepting that what I understand doesn't matter at all.

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

Thanks Elsewhere,

I think she said she could order the 50 year CD, so maybe she could order other materials in the fashion you mentioned even though she's DF'd.

The solution is very simple.

Have her write the WTS requesting photocopies of the literature in question. Make sure the letter offers to pay a reasonable "processing fee". The letter should include something like:

I am willing to pay up to $10.00 (US) for any processing fees related to this request. If it will cost more, please notify me what the expense will be before the work is performed.

The reason you do this is so that they cannot charge you $1,000.00 to scan a few pages and then sue you for the costs. (Yes, some places will do that.)

If she can't trust a photocopy from the Watchtower Society, what can she trust?

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

IP_SEC,

hope that works for you. My wife refuses to read any articles I've printed out right off the CD. She wont even look at them on the computer screen.

I'm sorry to hear about that and am still amazed at how people can convince themselves what they know is the truth even if they are scared to death of reading anything that might contradict such truth. My wife wouldn't have been willing to look at anything either until just very recently, though it's only a little at a time. She's reading one thin book now, though I haven't read it myself and am not sure how good it is at pointing some things out. It seems okay from the first couple pages I read.

I hope your wife gets interested some day in looking into things more, too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit