!st Century door-door question

by philo 11 Replies latest jw friends

• philo
    philo

Aguest: thanks again for you help on this subject, also to Batman and eby for your posts, both very relevant and enlightening.

The scriptures you cited helped me see a continuous custom for providing hospitality, bordering on a law, and that personal, or perhaps family, honour was at stake. Hence, Abraham's insistent hospitality contrasted with the unreceptive ones neglect at the meal with Jesus: one was honourable the others were not (I wonder if honour is the best word). I thought Timothy 5:10 the most 'legislative' scripture, although it does not help determine the prevailing hospitality customs for Jews as such. But you HAVE convinced me.

A general thought about the JW preaching work.

JWs sometimes say apostates oppose their preaching work, and there's some truth in that. But they also heavily imply that this is because of their: wickedness, selfishness, or just plain laziness. "The first thing to happen to an apostate, is they deny the preaching work" That hasn't been my experience. All of this thread indicates that the JW's work is not commanded in scripture, but that doesn't make it wrong . What is wrong is the requirement on JWs that they have to do it to be Christians: it's the command not the work that's the problem, especially when you recall Paul's "some as evangelisers, some as prophets, some as teachers" This is old hat to many, I'm sure, but it's new to me, so I thought I'd summarise my thoughts.

philo

• AGuest
    AGuest

Hello, dear Philo... and peace to you!

Believe it or not, my 'brothers' and I continue this 'law' down to this day. Whenever we get together, we greet each other with hugs and kisses, share the bread and wine... and wash each other's feet. Usually, we all just do it no matter whose home we're in, but we know that the primary 'responsibility' falls on whoever's house we're at. I cannot TELL you how humbling it is to have your feet washed... by someone who WANTS to do it. It is such a tender-loving act. And we have ALL found that we would rather WASH feet, than have ours washed. It seems to US that the 'better' position is the one on the floor, rather than the one in the chair.

We also eat meals, watch TV/videos, roast marshmallows, go for a hike, swim, play cards, dominos, board games, cook, sleepover, do laundry and dishes... regular everyday stuff. And everyone shares what he/she has 'received' from the spirit... or has read from the scriptures in connection to what we already know and understand. You know, a kind of 'second witness' to something we've already 'heard', but never saw written until now.

Whoever's house it is usually takes the main thrust of providing sustenance for all of the others. Since some have more than others, though, sometimes we all bring something, too. We almost always give each others gifts, too, when arriving at the house. Nothing expensive, but just a 'token' of OUR gratitude for being 'received' hospitably. This part is NOT 'law', but for some reason, we all seem to do it.

There is no 'meeting', no 'service', no 'sermon', no 'preaching'. At first, we didn't know WHAT to do... or how to do it. WE knew that although we had left the WTBTS in particular... and 'religion' in general... we STILL loved God and Christ. Eventually, we just learned that sharing what the spirit reveals to us... and showing love toward one another... was the primary requirement. After that, things kinda fell into place; we actually just do what the first century folks did... have an 'interchange' of encouragement that includes our physical lives, as well as our spiritual ones.

Our 'gatherings' are not premeditated. There is no set schedule. We get together as we can. Sometimes its all of us; sometimes it's one or two families. Sometimes, it one or two from two or more families. We don't judge one another's weaknesses, but if someone has something on their 'conscience' that they need to confess, they are free to do that. It does not happen like a 'ritualistic' confessional, but instead, someone (me, perhaps), might say something like, "I don't want to stumble you guys, but look, this is what's going on with me." We then simply forgive one another whatever 'sins' WE believe we have committed (for which of us has NOT sinned, and who doesn't WANT forgiveness?), and ask for help and guidance from my Lord through holy spirit, reassure one another of our love... and offer assistance, if needed. We then 'move on', and just increase in love.

If someone is in financial need, whether among us or if we've come to know about it outside of us, we all do what we can. We have delivered groceries, paid electric bills, rent, served dinner at a shelter, donated to shelters, given to fatherless children... whatever the Spirit lets us know about. And we don't ask one another to do so; one might do it and by happenstance another finds out and offers to help, too. There is no 'interest' or repayment expected, for our Father, JAH OF ARMIES, has provided us all with the MINIMUM sustenance and covering, and some with a little bit more. But He always... ALWAYS... repays US... for whatever kindness we have shown another. Our 'cisterns' are ALWAYS 'full', and there is no lacking.

We have no leader... and there are no man/woman 'issues'. We ALL talk and share. Even the children. If they have something 'spiritual' they want to say, it is received with the same respect we afford the adults. We don't just sit around talking about 'Bible' stuff, either. There are family issues, etc. In fact, HOURS could pass before someone shares something. But something... is always 'shared'. Always. Because in truth, that is the purpose for us gathering, is to stay 'united' in the faith.

We have learned that 'worshipping' God does not require a building, a format, a program, an institution, an organization, rules, regulations, and 'order'. Our love provides the 'order', for we are all VERY respectful of one another. But God doesn't 'dwell' in handmade temples; rather, He dwells in US... through Christ. Sometimes the presence of holy spirit is SO evident, someone is brought to tears. Not like 'holy-roller' stuff... we're not dramatic at all. But just being so FILLED up with such spirit, one becomes OVERWHELMED at times, and if you are sensitive (as some of us women are), the tears come. They are tears of joy, though... of being 'moved'. No outcry or loud outbursts or dancing and shaking, etc. Just tears sometimes... and goosebumps a LOT of times.

I am telling you this because there are many out there who wonder how one CAN 'worship' God without belonging to a 'church' or other religious organization. We have learned, though, that it doesn't matter WHERE you are, if God's spirit dwells in you by means of Christ, there THEY are. I have had conversations standing in the line at the grocery store, and 'felt' the spirit 'bear witness' with me.

We have truly been 'unyoked' from unbelievers... and 'yoked' to Christ, in that we are FREE to worship God in spirit. We are FREE to love Him as He loves us... and most importantly, free to love all others. We have NO lack of love for ANYONE... including those who consider us their 'enemies'. Hatred... is a HEAVY load to carry... and we have placed that 'burden'... avenging our enemies... on Christ. It is his 'call' and we have nothing against anyone, nor would we stand in judgment of anyone. When the time comes, we have all pretty much agreed (not in principle, but in similarity) that there is NO ONE we would personally condemn. Not one. For any reason.

Anyway, that is how we 'worship' God, still, even apart from religion... and in the face of opposition from both unbelievers... and many so-called 'believers'.

I bid you peace, Philo... and glad that I could be of assistance to you in understanding the previous matter.

I am YOUR servant, and a slave of Christ,

SJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit