Chapter 14 - Dread Unabridged Details from the new OD Book

by ezekiel3 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

Sick!

Dragonlady76

• Honesty
    Honesty
    If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, [2] take along with you one or two more, in order that at the mouth of two or three witnesses every matter may be established. If he does not listen to them, [3] speak to the congregation. If he does not listen even to the congregation, let him be to you just as a man of the nations and as a tax collector."?Matt. 18:15-17.

Translation: Tell the elders. They are the only congregation that matters.

PRICKS

• myself
    myself
    MARKING DISORDERLY ONES

I must be disorderly, because I am definately marked

• Spook
    Spook

The society has disassociated themselves by their involvement with the UN.

• willyloman
    willyloman

I'll echo euphimism's remarks: There is nothing new here, other than a change in the language for announcing those who are df'd or da'd. They've just updated the book to reflect procedural changes over the past 13 years. Plus, six million people are forced to buy a new book, which is perhaps the most significant thing that has occurred with the publication of this update -- but, hey, it has a place inside where you can write your name and the date of your baptism (what's next, a new bible with the words of Jesus in red?).

Anyway, the change appears to be the work of the boys in Legal. I don't see what all the fuss is about. We could have had this conversation about the old OM book, if someone had bothered to transcribe the corresponding chapter.

But I understand that this is all new to most of the folks on the forum... when we were dubs, none of us read these books, anyway. Now that it's posted here, it takes on a whole new life.

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

Unless my count is wrong the word "love" appears ten times in this article....

Such brainwashing, if they say it enough times people start to believe it.

• moanzy
    moanzy

and another special message from Jehovah...(sob sob)....I'm so thankful for all this crap

Moanzy

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Thanks Ezekiel for your labours in transcribing all of that.

Announcements are the same them for when a person is d/fd or d/ad " So and So is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses", with no elaboration. The congo will not know the difference . Most would probably assume the worst about the person, and only the elders would know that a person had an issue of conscience with the WTS and was not an adulterer, or worse

A new definition;

The term "disassociation" applies to the action taken by a person who, although a baptized member of the congregation, deliberately repudiates his Christian standing, rejecting the congregation by his actions or by stating that he no longer wants to be recognized as or known as one of Jehovah's Witnesses

The old Org book 1989 p 150 says

"the term disassociation applies to the action taken by a person who, although being a baptised member of the congregation, deliberately repudiates his Christian standing, rejecting the congregation and stating that he no longer wants to be recognised or known as one of Jehovahs Witnesses"

Previously, one had to take action to d/a yourself, (unless you joined the army etc) but I suppose now that they can say that any of our actions are a "rejection of the congregation"

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

if the 'go speak to your bro to try and gain him' is applicable to a case of slander then that is what i did and with that objective...they ignored me...wrote them a letter-just looking for an explanation...they ignored it...spoke to several elders about it..it was really messing with my head by now...they were sympathetic but what can we do...wait on j....spoke to 2 co's...they ignored me...wrote to the gb...they passed the buck to london who sent me a letter to say they were ignoring me...wait on j...couple of weeks ago i finally spoke to one of the elders responsible for the slander and he said that he had a vague recollection of the story and he would look into it and he would get back to me because he feels for any of j. people who have been victims of injustice...tijkmo..of the not holding my breath(heb-ru'ach..gr-pneu'ma) class

• blondie
    blondie
    The only changes I recognize off the bat are the wording of the announcements; they're keeping them very short and precise.

I'll ditto Euph's and willyloman's remarks.

I got out my OM book and compared the wording and that is the only thing I saw too. (red part is new; black is unchanged)

Part of the problem is that many of us never really read the OM book carefully and now that some of us are out and no longer have a copy, our memories are spotty.

OD: Concerning those who renounced their Christian faith in his day, the apostle John wrote: "They went out from us, but they were not of our sort; for if they had been of our sort, they would have remained with us." (1 John 2:19) For example, a person might renounce his place in the Christian congregation by his actions, such as by becoming part of a secular organization that has objectives contrary to the Bible and, hence, is under judgment by Jehovah God. (Isa. 2:4; Rev. 19:17-21) If a person who is a Christian chooses to join those who are disapproved by God, a brief announcement is made to the congregation, stating: "[Name of person] is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses." Such a person is treated in the same way as a disfellowshipped person. The presiding overseer should approve this announcement.

(OM: it would be fitting for the congregation to acknowledge by a brief announcement that he has dissociated himself and is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Such a person would be viewed in the same way as a disfellowshipped person.)

Blondie

PS: I did notice that they made the sentence in the OD book gender neutral: "person" rather than "he" or "himself."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit