How do I know when it's love....

by DanTheMan 40 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Hello,
    I don't post a lot about my personal life here anymore but I have a situation that I'd like some feedback on.

I have been dating A for about 5 months. She is a university professor, originally from Madrid Spain, speaks 3 languages, quite an interesting and intelligent lady. However, I have also come to find that she is very insecure and somewhat childish emotionally.

She has brought up marriage several times, and I have tried to keep her at bay on this subject, as I just don't know if the relationship has that kind of feeling or not.

The problem is, I don't know what that feeling is supposed to be. I don't have overpowering Romeo-and-Juliet romantic feelings towards her. I know I like her a lot, but I just don't know if I like her enough to make a lifelong commitment. I wonder if my romantic ideas are just Hollywood bullshit that doesn't happen in real life, and if I should be happy that I found somebody like her even if I don't feel like "oh my god she is my whole world" and that kind of stuff.

One of the biggest problems I have with her is that she doesn't seem to respect my independence. It's like she has an idea of how I should be and she becomes angry when I don't toe the line. It really has made me mad on a couple of occasions. She often takes on a very maternal sort of tone when she speaks with me. The overall feeling I have with her sometimes is that of being stifled.

The only relationships I have for comparison purposes are from like 15 or 16 years ago, when I was just a kid in high school. Of course back then it was much more Romeo and Juliet with the girls I would get involved with, spending hours talking on the phone - "I love you I love you I love you" and all that. But those relationships never lasted more than a couple of weeks. I didn't date at all when I was a JW, I was always out of the loop socially.

She left my house Saturday, basically saying that she would wait to hear from me but she was going to start looking around. She was crying, it was a very emotional day for both of us. We haven't talked since, and I have to say that in some ways it feels like a weight has been lifted.

I feel terribly guilty about it though. As I said, she is very insecure, and beyond that I do believe that she has some mental illness, I don't mean that as a slam at all, but there were a couple of incidents that really made me raise my eyebrows. Also, she is always having nightmares, every night she would start yelling and I would have to wake her and calm her. She has what I consider to be an unhealthy relationship with her father in Spain, talking to him on the phone every single day, like she's a kid away at boarding school not a 37 year old independent woman. She has been suicidal in her life before, and the melancholy in her eyes Saturday was heartbreaking for me. It's like, I love her so much but I can't deal with her pain.

Is this what love is supposed to be like???

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

DANGER DANGER DAN ROBINSON!!! Do not let her talk you into marriage. It is sooooo obvious that you are NOT at all in love with her that way. If you were, believe me, you'd know it. You'd have no doubts. And, SHE seems to be exhibiting some very serious emotional problems that need some professional attention. Encourage her, kindly, to get some professional help, but, I would say that this lady/girl needs to grow and heal some before anyone gets involved with her. She's not healthy, and you sound like you are much further along in that department.

Terri

• Fleur
    Fleur

If it feels like a weight has been lifted when you haven't seen her, that should be your first indication that you are NOT in love with her.

Speaking as someone who got married thinking that someone was in love with them, who wasn't; I have to tell you honestly that there shouldn't be any doubts in your mind if you love someone enough to marry them or not.

My second husband and I felt that 'i can't live without you' love from day one, it has not faltered in 8 years and only gets stronger for both of us every day. maybe we're not the norm, but I can tell you this, no one should settle. Marriage is a very serious business, and it sounds like this may be a bad fit for you.

Think it through. Carefully.

wishing you happiness!

essie

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i think if you read what you posted you'll have your answer..

her having problems with your independence is a big red flag.

she's givng you ultimatums (sp) , and is obviously in a different place in the relationship than you are.

if she hasnt the patience to wait for you to clear up your own feelings then its not real love.

you need to think hard on this relationship.. you may decide to marry her and be happy. but you should be OK in your own mind with whatever you choose to do.

• Seeking Knowledge
    Seeking Knowledge

Agreed, if you are relieved that she left and you feel a weight has been lifted, then you do not need to think any further. It sounds to me like she's looking for someone to take the place of her dad.

Do not be with her just for the sake of her mental well being. If you aren't happy now, you won't be happy later.

Good Luck!

SK

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I agree with the posters above...This is NOT love. She may need some psychological help..and unless you are a trained professional...................

I wish you the best...I'm sure you know what you must do. Good luck

Lisa

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    and if I should be happy that I found somebody like her even if I don't feel like "oh my god she is my whole world" and that kind of stuff.

it's just me.........but if I did not feel like someone was my whole world and that kind of stuff..........

It would be easy to walk away.

purps

It is better to be alone than to wish you were alone.

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

Do you want a wife or an emotionally unstable controlling manipulative mother? The choice is yours.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Thanks everybody for your feedback, in all likelihood I probably won't be calling her again. It's sad, it feels like a situation that could have been great but just didn't quite fly.

A guy that she had been with for 4 years dumped her last Spring because she found out that she has some issues that might prevent her from being able to bear children. I think that was totally shitty on his part, and I don't think she has fully recovered from that crushing blow. Plus I think she was quite devastated herself to learn of this, and I wonder if it might be a big part of her extreme insecurity.

• talesin
    talesin

I think you're on the right track, Dan. I can't add much to what Sunnygal and the others said, just a brief note.

A quick calculation tells me that she was only 6 months out of the old relationship when you started dating.

That's what we call 'rebound' relationship. They rarely work. I'd say, move on.

You will know when it happens. Some of us are just 'late bloomers'. ;)

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit