Of course, to my mind, the most egregious continuation of the
    scaffolding is the perpetuation of many, many elements of the religion
    of the Hebrews in the new religion of the Christians, including the
    continuing worship of their primitive, savage concept of god, whom they
    called Jehovah. It's indefensible that here we are, living in this new
    era of science and truth, and continuing to cling to these olden,
    outdated, primitive concepts of God developed by the Hebrews five
    thousand years ago.

Think about it? Does it make sense to do this? I don't think so.

My $0.02

Where it is a duty to worship the Sun you can be sure that a study of the laws of heat is a crime.

• waiting
    waiting

I watched it - thought it primarily a "woman's show." Beautiful costumes on the rich women. Rich women's hair quite long, clean, and lovely.

I noticed that King Authur and Sir Lacelot aged terribly, while his sister just got more regal and beautiful. Seemed odd since Authur was at least 4-5 years younger than her. The men's hair was straggely, dirty looking, etc. as they got older. The women didn't seem to age, except to look more serene. Authur acted feeble, almost unable to walk towards the end - while his sister was strong and supple.

Also the Lady of the Lake and her attendants were graceful, quiet, clean, and had manners. The people in the castles were predominantly slobs.

Avalon was beautiful - castles tended to be cold and dank.

I thought the group of nuns was interesting - being portrayed quite like the attendants of Avalon. In other words - a primarly female haven for women looking for solitude and security away from men (and hardship) in general. I was under the impression that life was quite hard for nuns back then, as for women in general.

Being raised a Catholic, I can see the reasoning about praying to Mary. We prayed to her, and a host of saints besides, because they would "intercede" for us to God (who was quite distant.)

Mary worship is prevelant particularily in Spanish-speaking countries. May Festivals, etc. "Lady of Lourdes, Lady of Guadelupe, Lady of Grace, Lady........" Portrayed much kinder than any man.

Who were the "Druides" btw? The actual religious basis for the "pagan religion"? I would assume they are saying that they made the stones, etc.?

waiting

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Mulan:

On theories as to who the historical Arthur was:

http://www.britannia.com/history/arthur/kaking.html

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

On Historical Arthur, I'm currently reading Arthur and the Lost Kingdoms by Alistair Moffat. I personally think it's a load of tripe - just a lot of pro-Scottish propaganda really, although he does make some interesting points concerning place names.

• joelbear
    joelbear

Englishman,

One of my dream trips is to go to Glastonbury. I am a big big King Arthur fan, from childhood.

Will you take me, please please. I'll cook for you the whole time I'm there and I am a great cook.

hugs

Joel

• Mulan
    Mulan

Thanks for the link to the Arthur legends. I love this stuff!! One of my ancestors was a man named Ralph de Coggeshall. I found this while doing some research on this family name: "In "Chronicon Anglicanum," a history of England covering the years 1187 to 1224, Ralph of Coggeshall gives us a terse description of an event that took place at Glastonbury Abbey in 1191 (or 1190 depending on which account you read). Ralph's version is much less detailed than Gerald of Wales', but contains a few new details. For example, Gerald tells us that the digging effort was instigated by Henry II who had it from a Welsh bard that Arthur's body was buried between two pyramids, there. Ralph avers that the monks were digging because of the desire of another monk to be buried in that particular spot in the cemetary. Another variance with Gerald's account is in the Latin form of the name, Arthur, purportedly carved into the burial cross found in the vicinity of the coffin; Ralph calls him Arturius, Gerald names him Arthurus.
    The location of the cross, itself, is also a matter of some difficulty. Ralph tells us that the cross was "placed" on the coffin; Gerald, in "Liber de Principis instructione," c.1193, says that the cross was attached to a slab found underneath the coffin, and in "Speculum Ecclesiae," c.1216, he tells us that it was attached to the slab, but that the slab was found at the seven foot level and the coffin at the sixteen foot level.
    1191: This year were found at Glastonbury the bones of the most renowned Arthur, formerly King of Britain, buried in a very ancient coffin, about which two ancient pyramids had been built: on the sides of these was in inscription, illegible on account of the rudeness of the script and its worn condition. The bones were discovered as follows: as they were digging up this ground to bury monk who had urgently desired in his lifetime to be interred there, they discovered a certain coffin, on which a leaden cross had been placed, bearing the inscription, "Here lies the famous King Arturius, buried in the Isle of Avalon." For this place, which is surrounded by marshes, was formerly called the Isle of Avalon, that is, the isle of apples."

None of this information can be documented, but it's sure fun to find. Thank you everyone, for your comments.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Geoffrey Ashe in his book Avalonian Quest mentions an archaeological dig done at Glastonbury Abbey in the early 20th century. It shed a lot of light on the 12th century excavation, for example the reason for the two levels at which objects were found on the grave site.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit