Law & Order SVU

by lonelysheep 8 Replies latest social entertainment

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Did anyone see it last night? This is my favorite show.

It was about a man who had his own cult following. He had tons of kids and even had a 12 yr old pregnant 'wife'. Well, all of the sayings sounded just like the jw's. I don't understand why they aren't classified as a cult instead of a religion.

Many months ago, I used to think that jw's are no more of a cult than any other religion, but that's just not true. I've been a part of other religions before studying w/the jw's, and they do not operate under cult tactics. Not that I like religion, but I can (now) differentiate between religion and cult. How they slip through the cracks, I don't know. Fancy writers, I guess.

• talesin
    talesin

lonelysheep

About 10 years ago, I went to my local library, and read tons and tons of research on cults. Surprisingly enough, all of the books on cults that I read included Jehovah's Witnesses as a cult. The books that had chapters or sections for each (eg. Children of God, Moonies, Jonestown) would also have a section on JWs.

Here, on JWD, there is a mix of opinions. Perhaps a lot of people don't like the label (that's my feeling, but I'm not a mind-reader). We had a couple of great threads on it. I'll see if I can find them. :)

Yes, that was a powerful episode last nite! I don't watch it religiously, but I do find that SVU can make for quite riveting television.

And you're right about the tone of the talk. The leader guy was quite forceful and charismatic, and had fine-tuned his mind-controlling skills.

Tell me, how do you think Olivia is gonna fare? I hope they don't make this her exit from the show ... looks like her and Elliot are both at the breaking point.

talesin

• Balsam
    Balsam

I always watch SVU, it was good and yes the cult affects this guy had going was so much the same as the WTS. WTS managed to change their being called a cult by getting their book selling legalized here in the USA back in Rutherfords day. But dragging the hapless JW into court he was able to change peoples perception of them. That is why the theocratic school was brought about to educate the bible selling followers so they could stand up in court and talk about their religion intellegently. Rutherford was a very cleaver and cunning man.

• talesin
    talesin

Here's the link to a thread with quite a good discussion of the topic.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/68246/1.ashx

I'll get the name of the thread ..

Yes or No----Do You Believe That JWs Are A Cult?

There ya go!

Happy reading ...

tal

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I love L&O SVU...I am a L&O junkie in general.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Thank you, Talesin!

• Valis
    Valis

You know that SVU's are bad for the envoronment right?

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I am a true Law & Order junkie, I watch all the reruns on cable. I always enjoy shows that discuss different cults, and now that I am out of the JW's--I can really see the connection now. But the JW's are really good at twisting the scriptures and making it sound logical. I used to get so sick of hearing that dumb phrase "thinking persons" in the WT publications, because if you listen to the WTBTS obviously you aren't allowed to think.

• chachasmum
    chachasmum

I too am a Law and Order junkie. I love it when they have all day marathons. Criminal intent is my favourite.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit