The Contribution Box

by professor 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Overall, I think the Jehovah's Witnesses are exemplary when it comes to handling the issue of needed donations to keep the lights on. Other churches tithe or take up collections and it isn't just the old JW mentality in me, but there is something untoward in both practices that I don't like. I think it somehow cheapens the faith to collect money like that.

I can still remember the 'donation talk' at the Service Meeting about the young boy in Guatemala or Nigeria, I can't remember the country. He had a pet chicken that he had raised from a hatchling and took it to the marketplace. He sold it for $1 US and put the whole dollar in the contribution box for Jehovah. If he could do that with the money he earned from selling his beloved chicken then we should be able to contribute our valuable things. This shit sounds worse than passing a collection plate around IMHO. The f@$ing beggars on the GB didn't even blink when they sent this out to the congregations.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    Usually what I have seen is that the elders see what the deficit is and cover it themselves if the congregation doesn't come through.

This actually explains the rice and raisins that our family ate for weeks on end when I was a kid. Dad barely made enough to feed his family, but as an elder, he'd bale out the hall any time there was a deficit.

Sorry, but I don't view that as honor. I still hate rice and raisins.

J

• professor
    professor

Do they call that Coll'uvetta? Hey, it sounds better than ramen noodles 24/7.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit