Society Movie from 1967

by drahcir yarrum 10 Replies latest jw friends

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

In 1967 or 1968 the society had a film out designed for teenagers titled "Heritage". It was the most pathetic, but hilarious propaganda movie I ever remember seeing. Does anyone know if this movie is still in existence?

Maybe I should check eBay!

• blondie
    blondie

I was a teenager in the 60's and don't remember seeing this. Of course, we weren't going to meetings much then either.

*** 1975 Yearbook p 232 United States of America (Part Three) ***
    The motion picture “Heritage,” also produced by the Watch Tower Society in 1966, dealt with the various temptations faced by young persons today. However, Angelo C. Manera, Jr., remarks that it showed “what the youth of the New World society were doing and how they were overcoming these temptations and following a Christian course of action.” Unique in that it had a sound track, unlike other recent movies produced by the Society, it was shown by many television stations. So, thousands viewed it in their homes. “Heritage” also was presented at circuit assemblies and other public gatherings.

• messenger
    messenger

The heritage film was eventually retired due to being out of date. It was maintained by key men in the circuit arrangement and loaned out on request to other elders who wanted to show it again in their congregation. I remember my father had a copy that sat for years in the corner of his office. I can't recall if he had to turn it back in to the CO or if he eventually threw it away. Point of interest I recently talked to a brother who wa sin the film and knew several of the others. They recruited several jersey boys as well as bethelites for the filming. Just a bit of trivial worthless JW nostalgia.

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

hhahha we have a copy of that somewhere. Ohhh man ya that was a reel winner hahhaha. And NO it's not for sale!!!

Ven

"The best way to convince a fool that he is wrong, is to let him have his own way."---Josh Billings

• wasasister
    wasasister

And does anyone know the key phrase from that movie? The one thing all teenagers desire? Correction, the TWO things teenagers desire?

No cheating...

wait for it

not yet

OK, here goes. All teenagers want out of life are:

"Peace of mind, and self-respect"

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

ohh yes 'the thing that people the world over are looking for' ahhaha ohh yaaa

Ven

"The best way to convince a fool that he is wrong, is to let him have his own way."---Josh Billings

• TMS
    TMS

wasasister:

"wasasister And does anyone know the key phrase from that movie? The one thing all teenagers desire? Correction, the TWO things teenagers desire?

No cheating...

wait for it

not yet

OK, here goes. All teenagers want out of life are:

"Peace of mind, and self-respect"

"Oh yes, I remember it well!" (Sung in a pseudo-Maurice Chevalier accent)

It reminded me of Playhouse 90, shot in black and white. . . .

I think it opened with a family argument scene. . . Does anyone recall the young boy putting his hands over his ears so as not to hear the fighting?

As wasasister reminded us, there was an appeal to all the "benefits" of living a moral life.

TMS

• VM44
    VM44

I think I saw that movie. It was in glorious B&W.

I remember the scene showing some teenages in a convertible car, drinking and
    throwing the empties out to break on the rocks.

Haven't thought about that for years!

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

Ven,

Do you have a new picture?

It looks different than the old one. :-)

--VM44

• Kismet
    Kismet

They showed this movie to the Bethel family one night after the family study.

It was one of the triggers for me to start questioning everything that I had thought was 'Truth'

That line, "peace of mind and self respect" though I vaguely recall personal contentment also being said???

I kept asking myself but I am here at Bethel why don't I have peace of mind? Something just isn't right. I went through months of blaming myself that it must be something wrong with me praying for peace of mind. It didn't come.

As I started to dig into the teachings and really started to observe I realized it wasn't me. Something was wrong at bethel and the whole arrangement of things.

That movie was pivotal but not for the reasons the Society likes to point out!

Kismet

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit