What Profound ironies do you know about?

by Siddhashunyata 17 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

siddha

I like your writing style. It's conversational and more streamofconsciousness than the formal writing usually used. ;)

I have another one,

Since I was born, my whole life was the JW, sunup to sundown. As a young teen, I focussed only on preaching, and moved to 'serve where the need was greater' as a full-time pine-ear.

Whilst living, eating, sleeping, breathing with my pine-ear sis's and brethren, I saw and experienced things I never knew existed in the b'Org. Shocking to a true believer.

One year later, I was no longer a JW.

I guess that, through pine-earing, J** truly showed me the way!

t

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

talesin, it is one of the ironies of lfe that "you can't cheat an honest man". Throughout my experience as a true believer it was my "simple eye" that got me in trouble. I once caught a look on a book study conductors face that caused me to look again and I saw him glare slightly at a married pioneer sister (Her husband was a nonbeliever). She had the look of adoration as he continued feeding the sheep that night. Two weeks passed and the conductor's daughter ,who worked for me,called home for him to come pick her up for a ride home. It was the pioneer sister that answered the phone . The daughter said the sister was helping out while her mother (study conductors wife) was in the hospital having the baby. I told the daughter I would give her a ride home and I did. When I knocked on the door the brother (study conductor ) opened and I asked him to step outside. It was dark. In the faint light I looked at him and said " Are you ok ? " He swooned and cried out that he was doing every thing in his power to not have "these" feelings for the sister. I felt cut that he was in such trouble and pleaded for him to not be around her (they would also go in field service together). After pulling himself together he said he would stop and she would just have to understand. At that point he went inside and as I turned to leave the door flew open and the pioneer sister stood stealthily in the doorway. She called my name and said she wanted to read me something. Her bible was open and she read scripture about the platonic relationship between David and Jonathan . She "admonished" me and I left. It wasn't long before I again saw the brother. We just sort of gestured and waved, like "comrades". Then one night after the service meeting I caught his eye . We were in the back of the crowded hall as everyone was leaving. I went to him and asked if he was ok , he asked to go out side and there he confessed adultry. I was beside myself as to what to do. I told him I would not say anything for two weeks and that he should tell it to the Elders within that time. ( I have never been an Elder ). He said he would. After two weeks my conscious compelled me to speak with him and I did . He said he had spoken to the District Overseer and everything was ok and that I don't have to do any thing. I looked at him with that simple eye and behold , he was lying. I went to an elder and the rest is history. The irony ( since that is what this thread is about) , the irony is that , to this day , the wife of the book study conductor...hates me. Surely god's ways are unsearchable.

• talesin
    talesin

Interesting, I had a similar experience. Briefly ~ I told a friend that her partner had aggressively propositioned me (he was a known cheater), and she dumped me instead of him. Has not spoken to me since that day.

* no good deed goes unpunished *

Saying that tongue in cheek. I feel the good energy I put out, does return to me, although often from the most surprising sources and in the least expected way. ;)

tal

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

the price of empathy...the edge of insanity

• Golf
    Golf

Is it irony or stupidity?

Golf

• talesin
    talesin

golf

Irony is stupidity bounced back to its source.

Whaddya think? I don't think I quite have it nailed ...

I like this expression, siddha

"simple eye"

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

Interesting. Irony seems to have the same general chacter as delema although one wouldnt think so. Both tend to affect character . Life takes on a curiously unpredictable quality. . Inwardly we feel tension between a developing cynicism (resistance) and a developing tolerance ( acceptance). Out of this comes a complex and sometimes oblique character . An interesting person ,to say the least. Its as though Nature is polishing a stone. One definition of irony is "frustrated hope".

This character is under developed in JW because of so much denial. Ironies and delemas are often unthinkable because they (reality) conflict with ideology. For example I recall a Circuit assembly where a story was related how several brothers and sisters opted to go to the beach instead of the Sunday meeting. One of them drowned. Moral of the story : If they had been at the meeting they would all be alive. But the speaker failed to mention the then recent bombing that had taken place in an Australian Congregation . Those brothers and sisters in the front row had their faces blown off, literaly. If both stories are juxtaposed without denial, a different reality falls out and a different way of seeing life. Takes a strong mind. As a Witness, one of the questions I would ask myself was "Why delemas?" We want to do whats right so why not just give us a choice between right and wrong ? Why delemas? Which Siamese twin should die or will they both die or will they be vegetables? We wreck the plane , there's nothing to eat but each other. etc.

By the way, years ago, from the podium: "Brothers ,in the Ressurection will you be able to forgive those who wronged you in this life? Surely our love will be tested. Think about it. If you were eaten by a cannibal and God saw fit to ressurect him would you be able to forgive him ?" No delema or irony. Just do the right thing.

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

delema = dilemma

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit