Do you think the JWs are more extreme than the Mormons?

by Qcmbr 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I studied with the Mormons for a year, and some of my extended family are Mormons and seem happy. I know that they have some beliefs which are very strange, but they are not so hardline as the JW's. Much more is left to their conscience or 'free will' and they treasure families and will take almost any steps necessary to keep a family together.

I couldn't get past some of the teachings, and being a hardline Starbucks fan, I'd have never made it...

I don't believe them or their leadership to be a threat like the witnesses are. There is more room for individuality and more respect for women.

J

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

I remember having a "fun" time with them when they would come to our door when I was a JW. I had The Book of Mormon and tried to read it but it's even weirder than the Bible to read.....who are all those Prophets anyway?

That said I work for a couple of Mormon families (housecleaning) and they are two of the nicest, cleanest caring people to work for. I see nothing strange or unusual about their life style compared to anyone else from any other religion who I've worked for. Well they do have food storage in abundance, but that's all good.

I've also done volunteer work in the local library and pretty much everyone who worked in my department were Mormons. The big difference I noticed is they don't gossip about each other in fact you would be hard pressed to get them to say anything about another person good, bad or otherwise. I found the total atmosphere to be not only friendly but you really had a great feeling that you belonged and were important to the smooth running of the library. I always looked forward to going to my volunteer job knowing I was appreciated for my hard work. It was strange because up to this I had only worked with JW's in an office setting and the gossip mill, backstabbing and insecure feelings were rampant I hated being there.

As far as their religious teachings are they weird? You bet! Are they a cult? You bet! (can you say Joseph Smith) Do I want to learn more about their religion? No way! But then I don't want to learn about any organized religion so I'm not just singling out Mormons.

time for a cupa.....

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Well said, Talesin.

DY

• Smoky
    Smoky

I dont know much about Mormons but do they believe they are the choosen church by God/Jesus?...and are they considered a Cult too?

If so, they may have a good argument with JW's regarding growth in recent years, I believe they are twice as many Mormons than JW's, if i am not mistaken.

Its a tough call, but I must say the JW's lead the pack in my book.

smoky

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

I don't trust anyone who doesn't like a nice cuppa tea. That's just weird. All the ones I've ever had coming round to my door are American, what's all that about then? You'd think they would of got some UK ones by now.

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

I have a great aunt that is a very devout Mormon. I have nothing but respect for her. She is happy, kind, generous and well adjusted. But her beliefs are crazy as hell.

I also have a great aunt that is a very devout JW. I have nothing but respect for her. She is happy, kind, generous and well adjusted. But her beliefs are crazy as hell.

• NoBorg
    NoBorg

In some ways yes, in some ways, no. They are the same in the respect of control however.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

My PA is Mormon, we have many interesting chats about faith and religion. The striking thing about her is that she does seem to run some members of her faith down alot (a nurse on another ward is LDS) and she has nothing good to say about her or her family. I've noticed she gossips alot to, she is what my granny used to say "Runs with the foxes, but Hunts with the Hounds" all at the same time. Yet she is very devout. I have no problems as she gets the things done I ask her, and that is good enough for me. But the Mormon faith? Some really strange concepts. I love a beer, won't do for me.

Scoob

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I have both morman and jw friends.... give me the mormans anytime. I play on their softball team, attend church once in a while and just party ("PG" rated) with them. My JW friends shuns me for a couple of weeks about 25% of the time, when I bring up something "sensitive" about dubs that they can't handle. My morman friends couldn't care less if I question the authenticity of the Book of morman or try to goad them into a discussion.... they're so much "cooler" than the dub.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

What is the difference in LDS and Mormons?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit