Man kills seven, himself at church service -- beliefs identical to WTS

by YellowLab 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

After my years of probing among scores of religious movements, I stumbled across the Plain truth and the Worldwide Church of God, and became a "passive member" for some years, reading their magazines, books, brochures, and paying tithes. Later, when I met the JWs, the "leap" was not big at all, as Armstrong had paved the way - Trinity, soul, hell, birthdays, Easter, Christmas, end-time, life on Earth, evolution/creation etc. After I became a JW, I continued reading the Plain Truth for some years, and was constantly surprised to see how it covered the same topics as the WT. My guess was/is that they partly borrowed, and partly belong(ed) to the same Adventist/prophetic speculations/chronology pattern, and therefore have similar views. The latter attempt of explanation because I do not understand how he could have moles working for him inside the WT, or have the time to publish similar articles that soon after the "original" appeared in the WT.

The the Prophet died - and the Church changed all of its teachings ......... Not very deeply rooted in the hearts and minds of the followers, were they?

• PinTail
    PinTail

I would not give them squat, I never gave the JWs squat, so that is that blah blah blah.

Shane

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

I came across this some time ago: http://home.datawest.net/esn-recovery/artcls/lifton.htm

It talks about some of the classic "thought reform" techniques commonly associated with mind-control cults, and how these manifest within the WCG and its offshoot organizations. I found it extremely interesting to note the similarities between their behaviour and that of a certain other religious organization.

• under74
    under74

JAVA just did a thread about this http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/86933/1.ashx

From everything I've read about Adventist groups and WWChurch of God there isn't a direct link between it and JWs. There is a direct link with Armstrong and Church of God 7th Day which came out of 7th Day Adventist which came out of the Millerites. So as others have said there is a link but it's not direct from what I've read.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Yeah. I remember my mom going on about how Armstrong, borrowied from WTS. I would pull the Plain Truth mags out of those free blue newspaper boxes and read it from time to time. It struck me as a copycat of the Awake in a lot of ways.

Chilling similarities in philosophies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit