Is the society shooting themselves in the foot with the new DF policy?

by truth_about_the_truth 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

Let's face it, it seems like a simplification of the DF process as many of you have already mentioned.

Within the 6 million or so JW worldwide, there has to be a good number of ppl that are on the fringes of being DFed. In the past, it took time to technically DF these ppl because of the no-shows at judicial hearings and appeals. Also DFing a person can be delayed when no actual proof can be provided of the sin committed. Now that DFing can be done more unilaterally by the elders, the process has become streamlined.

I think you can expect a surge of disfellowshippings in the coming yrs because of this. There already has been a lack of growth even without this. The numbers will shrink even more. Do you think in their attempt to 'simplify' the process they have shot themselves in the foot?

• minimus
    minimus

I think you're missing the point. There is no new DFing policy.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

On the contrary, I'm sure they came out with this new book to cover themselves in some legal ground.

DY

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the DF'ing policy is the same.

But ...

It looks like people can be announced as "No longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses" for reasons other than disfellowshipping offenses - just not going to meetings or out in service anymore. These people are to be treated the same as a disfellowshipped person.

So it is not a new disfellowshipping policy per se, but now anyone can be shunned for not going to meetings anymore.

Am I correct?

-ithinkisee

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

I disagree with minimus in that there is no new policy on DFing. There clearly is a reason why the DF policy was specifically mentioned during the announcement of the book. Something has definitely changed. I guess time will tell exactly how it has changed but it does appear that it is easier to DF someone than in the past.

For a group that is hurting in numbers I dont know if that is such a smart move.

• minimus
    minimus

Prove it, truth.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Truth,

The only reason it was mentioned specifically in the letter is so that next week when a disfellowshiping is announced and they use the new format people understand that its not a change in the DF policy. They are still supposed to shun.

There is a certain ambiguity in the announcement; this was to clarify that for the members. This is a non change as far as any policy.

Now I will grant you that there is probably some hidden reason for the change, as the old announcement was fine, said the same thing. I don?t know what that reason might be at the moment though.

• toreador
    toreador
    I disagree with minimus in that there is no new policy on DFing. There clearly is a reason why the DF policy was specifically mentioned during the announcement of the book. Something has definitely changed. I guess time will tell exactly how it has changed but it does appear that it is easier to DF someone than in the past.

Was the new policy mentioned in all congs at the announcement of the book? Did they mention they were to be treated the same as a dfed person when the new anouncement was read at the release of the new OM book?

• minimus
    minimus

What "new disfellowshipping policy"?

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

This is a repeat of my post from another thread:

the details are told verbally at the next elder's school and are penciled into the margins. The way the policy is written, it can be taken in more than one way. We will need to wait and see what the specific implimentation will be.
    Exactly! We only have a general outline of what the change really is. I'm sure there are some MS or Elders on this board that will keep us up to date on the developments in the next MS/Elder's school.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit