My JW G.F.-- Need help with cross/crucifex use by the WTS

by PAJA 10 Replies latest jw friends

• PAJA
    PAJA

Im trying to get information about the WTS belief in the "stake" vs the cross/crucifex for my JW girlfriend.

I need any and all information I can get my hands on....
    quotes/pictures/scans/documents etc. of cross use by the WTS, their beliefs and contradictions.

She was taught the symbol is wrong and doesnt believe it was ever used by the WTS. I know its on the pyramid monument at Russle's grave and have heard that it was used in the early days, but need things I can print out and give to her.

Any help would be great!

• minimus
    minimus

The cross&crown were on all the Watchtower magazines for years. Rutherford, the 2nd president thought this was idolatry and of pagan origin. And that an upright stake instead of a cross was historically and biblically correct.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, the cross was used on the cover of the Watchtower until 1931.

Proclaimers Book (JWs history book) chap. 14 p. 200 "They Are No Part of the World" ***

For years, Bible Students wore a cross and crown as a badge of identification, and this symbol was on the front cover of the "Watch Tower" from 1891 to 1931. But in 1928 it was emphasized that not a decorative symbol but one?s activity as a witness showed he was a Christian. In 1936 it was pointed out that the evidence indicates that Christ died on a stake, not a two-beamed cross.

Note in the upper left hand corner.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Howdy,

Have her look at page 200 of the publication Jehovah's Witnesses Proclaimers of God's Kingdom.

Attached also is a scan of a 1904 Watch Tower that I have. In it you not only see the Crown and Cross symbol that appeared on every issue but the windows of the Watch Tower in the illustration are also in the form of crosses.

-Eduardo

(having trouble uploading photo)

• minimus
    minimus

And the tower has a cross on it.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

The following link should also prove helpful to you.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/85988/1.ashx

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

All the research I have done tells me there is more evidence and historical accuracy for a cross than a stake. I think the JWs differ just for the sake of being different.

LHG

• PAJA
    PAJA

Great stuff so far......

Anyone have more scans or links to WTS publications with the cross?

Also any contradictions by the WTS on this issue?

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

In search of Christian freedon, by R Franz, has a photo of the N.Y. Bethel Xmas party 1926, with Judge Rutherford at the head of the table, the room is full of Xmas decorations, presents etc. Interesting that was 7 years after supposedly being appointed as God's organisation. I'll try to scan in a day or so when scanner fixed.

• PAJA
    PAJA

"In search of Christian freedon, by R Franz, has a photo of the N.Y. Bethel Xmas party 1926, with Judge Rutherford at the head of the table, the room is full of Xmas decorations, presents etc. "

I would love to have that one!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit