Everyone: Please Help Terry Schiavo!

by Slick Willie 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Slick Willie
    Slick Willie

I just posted this on another thread, but wanted to make sure everyone sees it. BTW, I had to make the decision along with my siblings to disconnect my mother from life support. There is a point where it is better to let your loved one slip away, I think. However, in Terri's case her exact status is unknown to anyone. In this case, I say "err on the side of life."

An email I sent my family today:

I've been watching the Terri Schiavo situation unfold down in Clearwater this past week. I'm very concerned that she has had her feeding tube removed by the courts and is being slowly dehydrated/starved to death. There is now an emergency bill in the U.S. house of representatives that could save Terri's life. I am urging everyone to write their Senators and House members to urge that they pass this bill. The House will be taking up the bill again on Monday so I urge you to take a few minutes this weekend and send an email to your reps. In case you are not familiar with Terri's situation, here are the facts as I know them: Terri is a 41 year old woman who had a medical crisis (her heart stopped) about 15 years ago, which left her with severe brain damage. During this time Terri has not been on any life support (ventilator, etc.) except for the feeding tube placed in her stomach. Her body functions normally and she is physically healthy. Terri's parents visit her daily, and they believe she responds to them. According to the family, 33 physicians have signed affidavits stating that Terri, although severely brain damaged, is not in a coma or a "persistent vegetative state." They further state that with appropriate therapies Terri will likely show significant improvement in function. According to her parents, Terri's nurses have likewise concluded that improvement is possible, and also believe that she is to some degree aware of her surroundings, and appears to be happy and in no pain. (If you've seen the the CNN reports, Terri appears to smile when her mother talks to her.) Michael Schiavo, Terri's husband, has been working since about 1993 to have her feeding tube removed, and to allow her to die. Michael claims that during his marriage to Terri she had stated that she did not want to be kept alive in the event of a medical catastrophe that would leave her unable to function without 'all the tubes', etc. Michael claims she made this statement not only to him but also to his brother and to her best friend. In all, Michael claims she made this statement to a total of six individuals (three of whom have not been identified). Now, assuming this alleged statement by Terri is true, I find it very hard to believe that she had given this issue a great deal of thought. She would have been, at the oldest, 26 when she made these statements, and at 26 I doubt she could have considered all the possible medical scenarios. Further, had she felt this strongly about this this issue, I believe that she would have seen an attorney to compose an "Advanced Medical Directive," which would be a legally binding document. There are also the facts concerning Michael Schiavo's possible financial motivation for wanting Terri's feeding tube removed. After Terri's medical crisis Michael sued and was awarded about $2.3 million. The stated purpose of the lawsuit was to obtain funds to care for Terri for the remainder of her life. According to Terri's parents, after Michael was awarded the money, he then refused to allow Terri any rehabilitation therapy that certainly would have shown whether it was possible for her to regain functioning. Shortly after winning the lawsuit Michael then began proceedings to have Terri's feeding tube removed. Terri's parent, the Schindler's, are of course opposed to having the feeding tube removed. The Schindler's are strong Catholics, and Terri was raised in the Catholic faith. They are very much against euthanasia, and believe that Terri would not want to be euthanized under these circumstances. I urge you to contact your House representative and your Florida senators to urge them to intervene to save Terri's life. Go to www.terrisfight.org for more information about this. Also, please pass this email on to everyone you know. Today its Terri's fight, tomorrow it could be yours or mine. (Below I've copied my short letter to my state representative. If you wish to use all or part in a letter to your legislators, you have my permission. Thanks again for your help!) Love, Bill ============================================================================================================ RE: TERRI SCHIAVO Dear Rep. Taylor, I am writing to urge you to do everything in your power to pass the bill now under consideration that may save Terri Schiavo's life. This young woman has been severely brain damaged for about 15 years, but according to her family, 33 independent physicians have given affidavits that her condition is not irreversible, and that given appropriate therapies, she has a good chance for significant improvement. According to Terri's mother and father, although Terri's husband Michael received a multi-million dollar settlement, he has NOT allowed Terri to receive any rehabilitation therapy. In my mind, as long as there is any chance that a person could have a meaningful life, even in a limited way, that life should be honored and preserved. Thank you in advance for your consideration of this very important issue. Sincerely, Bill Rosenke
    Asheville, North Carolina =======================================================================================================================

• mjl
    mjl

I?m in Florida and have been following this case closely for the past few years. I have to differ with you about this. She is NOT in a coma but is in a ? persistent vegetative state." In short she is not brain dead but the cerebral cortex and part of the cerebrum is dead. All the faith in the world can?t regenerate nervous tissue. Brain scans don?t lie. There is a video of her smiling and following a balloon with her eyes, what the media is leaving out is this was a one time thing and has not occurred in over a hundred attempts to reenact it. Money is not an issue as well, he was offered $10,000,000 to sign over custody, but he maintains it?s not Terri?s wish. But in short, the law is the law, it?s his call. The Imperial Federal Government does not the right to intercede. I hope I didn?t upset to many??..

• Slick Willie
    Slick Willie

I'm not upset at all. I understand this is a complex and very controversial issue. I'm not sure that I would want to live if I was in Terri's place. I'm also concerned with our government intervening in these matters as there could be unforeseen precedents set which could end up hurting others in the future.

But I am concerned that Michael Schiavo may not have Terri's best interests at heart. It makes sense that in a situation such as this, with no written directive on Terri's part, the spouses 'right' to terminate her life would not be absolute. I can only think that if I were in this situation, with a wife in Terri's condition, that I would have to give great weight to the desires of her parents. If the doctors are correct in saying that Terri is as good as brain dead, except for her brain stem which controls her heart and breathing, then why not allow her parents to take custody of her and allow them to lovingly care for her? Because if she's as good as brain dead, she has no awareness of anything, no pain, no nothing. And if Terri's parents and their doctors are correct that she can improve with rehab, then why not allow them to go for it? Apparently, Michael Schiavo has refused any therapy for Terri for the last 12 years. Why? Why put her parents through this?

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    the faith in the world can?t regenerate nervous tissue.

Thats not true. Neural tissues can regenerate, its just a slow process and things like regular exercise make it faster (they just proved this in rats at my university). There's also a possiblity that stem cells can be used to rapidly regenerate neural tissue.

Here's what the Pontifical Academy for Life, under Juan de Dios Vial Correa and Bishop Elio Sgreccia, wrote:

The approach to the gravely ill and the dying must therefore be inspired by the respect for the life and the dignity of the person. It should pursue the aim of making proportionate treatment available but without engaging in any form of "overzealous treatment" (cf. CCC, n. 2278). One should accept the patient's wishes when it is a matter of extraordinary or risky therapy which he is not morally obliged to accept. One must always provide ordinary care (including artificial nutrition and hydration), palliative treatment, especially the proper therapy for pain, in a dialogue with the patient which keeps him informed.

At the approach of death, which appears inevitable, "it is permitted in conscience to take the decision to refuse forms of treatment that would only secure a precarious and burdensome prolongation of life" (cf. Declaration on Euthanasia, part IV) because there is a major ethical difference between "procuring death" and "permitting death": the former attitude rejects and denies life, while the latter accepts its natural conclusion.

• Buster
    Buster

Let the poor woman die for god's sake. And let everyone get on with their lives, whether they want to or not, even if they prefer talking to an asparagus.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

My uncle Paul, who died of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's in 1999, had a feeding tube. It was inserted into his stomach in 1997 after he had pneumonia and the doctor said he lost his ability to swallow. The doctor guilt tripped my parents and me into putting in the feeding tube, even though my husband (a kind, compassionate, and VERY logical person) strongly said it was the wrong thing to do and Uncle Paul managed to whisper to me the night before the surgery: "I don't want it."

That was the worst decision we could have made for him. There was no quality of life for him after that -- all he did was linger for two miserable years at the mercy of the nursing home. If I had it to do over again I would have made sure it didn't happen.

I think Terry Schiavo should be allowed to die with dignity, as her body has been trying to do for 15 years. Keeping her alive under these conditions only serves the purpose of her parents and is not the best thing for her. If I were in that situation, I would want my husband to do exactly as hers is doing and fight tooth and nail to grant me leave to die with dignity.

Nina

• mjl
    mjl

People should ba allowed to die with dignity. The part that very upsets me is that both, Democrats and Republicans are using her as a politcal pawn to further thier agendas.

• Mary
    Mary
    Let the poor woman die for god's sake.

Amen.........Who the hell would want to live like this?? They did a pole and something like 87% of people said they'd rather be dead than live like Terry Schiavo. I concur. The politicians should keep their bloody noses out of it---it's none of their damn business. Maybe George Dubya should be more concerned with the thousands that are dying half a world away thanks to his greed, than this one woman who should have been able to leave this world a long time ago.

• Valis
    Valis

It makes me sick that Congress is politicizing something that clearly is none of their business. I am not in favor of starvation, but certainly the right to die. I mean give her a massive dose of morphine and let her slip away. I hope that if I ever become incapacitated my wishes will be respected and the DNR is enforced. With that said I think it is wise to get a living will and ALL the affiliated documents that go along with it. Terribly sad this is happening, but it is equally sad, if not more disturbing to have no capacity for communication, movement, ability to speak, etc..I never want to be like that.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart
    I mean give her a massive dose of morphine and let her slip away.

I do wonder what was in the dose of "morphine" given to my mom right before she died. The nurse said "it's very powerful, she only needs a little" and indeed it looked like about half a teaspoon of a clear liquid. I swear Mom didn't swallow any of it -- I saw what looked like most of it dribble out of the corner of her mouth -- and I almost went to get the nurse to say she needed more. But she quit gasping for air in about ten minutes and died ten minutes after that. Chris and I both wonder if there was something "extra" in the cup and, if so, I applaud it. Damn it, if I could have put Mom out of her nonentity existence before that, I would have gladly done so and shouldered the responsibility for that decision. Lying in bed day after day is no existence and I watched her be like that for five years.

Travis, I wholeheartedly agree with how you feel, and so does Chris. I hope by the time it's our turn there are some alternatives.

Remember "Soylent Green"?

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit