More conversations with my wife - birthdays this time

by ithinkisee 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

ithinkisee,

I think the most powerful thing you did was:

I just smiled and continued on as if we never really had that conversation. I figured that was enough for that day, and I would let her work on that for awhile.

That takes some serious self-control. Hats off to you.

Did you see that thread a ways back about birthdays and dogs. I can't remember exactly who posted it, but the point was that birthdays are mentioned twice in the Bible, both in a negative light. But dogs are mentioned 25 times and are always either a metaphor for evil men, a symbol of selfishness, or associated with other negative things. Using JW reasoning, that would mean that dogs are 1250% more evil than birthdays. Should we ban dogs for Christians?

I think it was garybuss with that argument. I thought it was quite interesting.

SNG

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Oh, that dog thingy was by me. It's pretty long, but here it goes again:

The Bible makes only two references to birthdays, and both of them were associated with something bad. Therefore, JWs do not celebrate birthdays.

Using the same logic, I did a scan on the word ?dogs?, and found something very interesting. Dogs are mentioned 25 times in the Bible. In every single case, they are associated with something bad.

- Dogs are associated with sinners

- Food that is unacceptable to humans can be thrown to the dogs

- Dogs lick up blood and eat dead bodies of sinners

- Dogs hang out with bad people

- Vicious men are likened to dogs.

- Dogs are a euphemism for evil men who mutilate flesh

- They are used to symbolize greed and lack of restraint

Therefore, it is highly inappropriate for Christians to associate with, own, or otherwise fraternize with dogs. In fact, by my calculations, Dogs are 1250% more evil than birthdays. Consider the evidence:

1 Kings 21:19 : Say to him, 'This is what the LORD says: Have you not murdered a man and seized his property?' Then say to him, 'This is what the LORD says: In the place where dogs licked up Naboth's blood, dogs will lick up your blood-yes, yours!' "

1 Kings 16:4 : Dogs will eat those belonging to Baasha who die in the city, and the birds of the air will feed on those who die in the country."

1 Kings 14:11 Dogs will eat those belonging to Jeroboam who die in the city, and the birds of the air will feed on those who die in the country. The LORD has spoken!'

Exodus 22:31 : "You are to be my holy people. So do not eat the meat of an animal torn by wild beasts; throw it to the dogs.

1 Kings 21:23 : "And also concerning Jezebel the LORD says: 'Dogs will devour Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.'

1 Kings 21:24 "Dogs will eat those belonging to Ahab who die in the city, and the birds of the air will feed on those who die in the country."

1 Kings 22:38 : They washed the chariot at a pool in

2 Kings 9:10 : As for Jezebel, dogs will devour her on the plot of ground at Jezreel, and no one will bury her.' " Then he opened the door and ran.

2 Kings 9:36 : They went back and told Jehu, who said, "This is the word of the LORD that he spoke through his servant Elijah the Tishbite: On the plot of ground at Jezreel dogs will devour Jezebel's flesh.

Job 30:1 : "But now they mock me, men younger than I, whose fathers I would have disdained to put with my sheep dogs.

Psalm 22:16 Dogs have surrounded me; a band of evil men has encircled me, they have pierced my hands and my feet.

Psalm 22:20 : Deliver my life from the sword, my precious life from the power of the dogs.

Psalm 59:6 : They return at evening, snarling like dogs, and prowl about the city.

Psalm 59:14 : They return at evening, snarling like dogs, and prowl about the city.

Psalm 68:23 : that you may plunge your feet in the blood of your foes, while the tongues of your dogs have their share."

Isaiah 56:10 : 's watchmen are blind, they all lack knowledge; they are all mute dogs, they cannot bark; they lie around and dream, they love to sleep.

Isaiah 56:11 : They are dogs with mighty appetites; they never have enough. They are shepherds who lack understanding; they all turn to their own way, each seeks his own gain.

Jeremiah 15:3 : "I will send four kinds of destroyers against them," declares the LORD , "the sword to kill and the dogs to drag away and the birds of the air and the beasts of the earth to devour and destroy.

Matthew 7:6 : "Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces.

Matthew 15:26 : He replied, "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs."

Matthew 15:27 : "Yes, Lord," she said, "but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table."

Mark 7:27 : "First let the children eat all they want," he told her, "for it is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs."

Mark 7:28 : "Yes, Lord," she replied, "but even the dogs under the table eat the children's crumbs."

Luke 16:21 : and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores. Philippians 3:2: Watch out for those dogs, those men who do evil, those mutilators of the flesh.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Also, I think it was AlmostAtheist that has a web page where he details why wearing eye makeup should be condemned just as much as birthdays, Biblically speaking. Sorry, can't find the link.

On a side note, I was corresponding with a lady who was a member of the Worldwide Church of God under HW Armstrong and she said she was not to celebrate birthdays OR wear makeup while part of that organization.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hey RunningMan,

Sorry to get the credits wrong on that reference. Actually, I seriously wrote RunningMan first, and then I was like, "Hmm...or was it garybuss?" Anyway, I always enjoy your posts.

SNG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit