New World Translation Vs. Kingdom Interlinear Translation ... your thoughts

by Ianone 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Ok Alan, I'll take your word for it. I am aware that Gangas was fluent in modern Greek, not Koine Greek. I have been told by some renegade but loyal JWs that a lot more went into the NWT than just Freddy sitting in a darkly lit room hacking out phrases. Thanks for the yakking on the phone the other day BTW. You're one of a kind, in many things.

• Ianone
    Ianone

Translators of the New World Translation

http://www.freeminds.org/history/NWTauthors.htm

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I was thinking along the lines of word for word translations of the scriptures and how they may influence our beliefs or non belief and not rely on religious interpretations into modern English by translators who may have their own agenda.

I was also thinking of the Old Testament as well as the New Testament in word for word Translations.

And then I came upon this post.

I was surprised to learn in this post that their were two versions of the "Kingdom Interlinear Of The Christian Greek Scriptures " published by the WTB&TS I never knew that.

I hope their are some knowledgeable people out their who can throw more light on this post after 13 years since it was first posted .

• freddo
    freddo

I cannot throw more light on the post but I knew there were two interlinears. Not hugely different although I'm sure someone can highlight anything significant.

I have the blue one (later) but not the earlier. As far as I recall the purple one was based on the complete (old green 1961 nwt bible) in style and came out in 1969.

The blue one of 1985 came out with the revision of the 1984 nwt (you know where Heb 1 v 6 is changed from "worship" to "obeisance" of Jesus in the main text) and at the time of the big reference bible.

I guess there would have been tiny subtle differences to support their doctrine plus some extra charts and such to make it more sellable (financially) to the JW's who would have been the main source of income.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Revelations 5:9-10 was an eye opener for

me when I was waking up. In the inter linear it says they reign on the earth and no mention of being kings just priests. So according to the actual Greek I found that no where in the New Testament does it say any Christian will be a king. But more importantly these verses show the whole idea of a special cast of humans exalted to kings and ruling over the earth is complete bullshit.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

"To each major word we have assigned one meaning and have held to that meaning.."

If that was their aim in the earlier NWT versions, it went out of the window in the 2013 edition. Nowadays it is all about "readability " and ease of translation rather than accuracy.
    ( NB... a great thread... I should have spotted the dates of it.. we don't do them like this any more)

• Londo111
    Londo111

That's the hype, but Freddie didn't always adhere to it.

For instance, charis is sometimes translated gift and sometimes 'undeserved kindness'.

He could be fast and loose when he wanted to be.

• TD
    TD

Did they really translate word-for-word in every case (?)

Very old thread, but fundy nonsense is timeless

The NWT is indeed a biased translation, but the whole idea of "word for word" translation doesn't work even in closely related modern languages that share a boatload of cognates.

One translation definitely (IMO) worse than the NWT is the Concordant Literal Version, which as the name suggests, is based on the idea that words should be consistently translated according to dictionary meaning.

This leads to oddities, like the eagle in Revelation morphing into a vulture and "baptized" morphing into "dipized."

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Wow. How can this be discussed when any semblance of "original" writings does not exist. Only 66 of these which has been totally screwed with to fit the "belief-o-matic" de jour of who held it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit