Did anybody ever predict the end of the world for way off in the future?

by AlmostAtheist 9 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

The guy that shot 11 people, killing 7, in a church in Wisconsin was apparently upset over a sermon he'd heard. The sermon may not have been about the end of the world, but the church he attended taught that it was coming, and coincidentally, it was coming "soon". http://apnews.myway.com//article/20050314/D88QDHU00.html

Has there ever been anybody that looked over a pyramid, or read Daniel, or compared history to beasts in Revelation, and didn't somehow manage to come up with a date that was well within their lifetime? It seems that these prophets come along at JUST THE RIGHT TIME, early enough to get people excited about the date before it comes, but not so early that they themselves don't live to see it.

Has this ever not been true? Did any group in the 1600's say "The end is coming in 1885!" or anything like that?

Dave

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

Just look into the history of the wtbts,the "mother" of all doomsday predictions.

I believe Nostrdamus predicted the end in about 3500 something...

• Valis
    Valis

Almost...maybe this will help w/some of your researching..

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake

Man! Wisconsin is sure in the news a lot lately! For bad stuff! Must be all the apostates here causing a demoralization of the cheese state.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

In 1479 the Aztecs predicted the end of the world would occur in 2012...

"The Mexicans, as all other Meso-Americans, believed in the periodic destruction and re-creation of the world. The "Calendar Stone" in the Museo Nacional de Antropologia (National Museum of Anthropology) in Mexico City depicts in its central panel the date 4 Ollin (movement), on which they anticipated that their current world would be destroyed by earthquake, and within it the dates of previous holocausts: 4 Tiger, 4 Wind, 4 Rain, and 4 Water."

~Merry

• melmac
    melmac

Thanks for the link, Valis.

• Hyghlandyr
    Hyghlandyr

Well as a Discordian, I am a Non-Profit Prophet, and I proficize the end of the world in the year 321,3904.03 Annum Dios.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Well as a Discordian, I am a Non-Profit Prophet, and I proficize the end of the world in the year 321,3904.03 Annum Dios.

All right, I'll follow you at least until then. But you better be right! Dave

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

This is kind of an interesting end of the world scenario site..

http://www.exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm

• upside/down
    upside/down

Didn't it end in 1975?

Holy crap did I miss the boat?

"Remember when the Earth blew up and they built the big "Space Ark" and we all came here to live? And they decided not to tell any of the stupid people so that.... ooooooh"- Steve Martin (record)

u/d

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit