Has anyone read the Book of Enoch?

by truth_about_the_truth 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

This is a book supposedly written by Enoch that some say was left out of the Bible canon by the early church when it was being put together.

I'm in the middle of it and find it very interesting.

It gets into some fascinating details about the pre-flood world than the books in the regular Bible canon. Enoch has a lot of visions which are very reminscent of Revelation.

I have mixed feelings about this book. Although it reads very 'Bibley' (is that a word? ), I'm not sure how authentically I should regard it.

If nothing else, it's very entertaining.

• Ianone
    Ianone

Im in the middle of reading it myself. People make a big deal about the Nephilim alien stuff in it, but I think it focuses on the judgement of the wicked more so. It also shows that God becomes a man to redeem His creation which is the Gospel. I like it.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

some parts are interesting, but the visions are boring. needs a few car chases and some sex scenes to liven it up a bit.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

I find it interesting that passages in Jude and in Peter quote from an "apocryphal book" like "Enoch", and still pass the test of "All Scripture is inspired by God and beneficial."

The WTBS explanation is that they are quoting from the "original source material", not those books per se; I find this a weak argument, (as are most of their arguments), because if the source material is good enough to quote from, then why isn't this material included in the Canon? Once you start pulling on the strings of the Bible, it starts to become unravelled quite rapidly.

In the word of Mark Twain-"It is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies."

Or ...

To quote from one of my favorite movies, "If that were true, then the sacred scrolls wouldn't be worth the parchment they were written on!" to which the other replies, "Well....maybe they're not!" (Planet of the Apes)

• Neo
  • Ianone
    Ianone

Well here is the thing. The Jews and catholics have distorted and withheld much of scripture from the mainstream world. Just because the bible has been altered is no reason to discredit Christianity. At some point in time, there was an uncorrpupted written version. There is still an uncorrupted version but it is not written on paper. The Spirit reveals all truth in God's timing.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

TaboutT...It is great to be intersted in the literature that helped shape the face of western culture, book of 1 Enoch included. The book appears "Biblely' because it was one of the many influential works that were used as source materials for books of the NT. Here is a link to one recent article here on that subject.: Jude and 1 Enoch2 ( OOPs I didn't see it had already been posted)

There is no conspiracy at work just simple evolution of doctrine. Here are a couple great sites that has been posted before that have the texts and commentery on a number of such works: Early Christian Writings: New Testament, Apocrypha, Gnostics, Church ...

Early Jewish Writings

There is a vast world of real scholarship to be experienced please don't draw knee jerk conclusions or buy into half baked conspiracy theories. It is a lesson in history and doctrinal development.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Do you have the translation by Nickelsburg? It is the most up-to-date version, it's very affordable (under $10), and is the only translation that gives the Aramaic text its due weight.

Had 1 Enoch been included in the OT, I really wonder how the Society would explain away the unmistakable references to hellfire and eternal punishment (especially in the Epistle of Enoch), and the description of the afterlife of the souls awaiting judgment.

The links with Canaanite mythology and Babylonian and Greek cosmology in the Book of Watchers is also a rather fascinating subject. Also, 1 Enoch is an anthology of works from different times, with the text in some flux (e.g. the Book of Parables included in the Ethiopic and not the Aramaic, the Book of Giants tacked onto the Aramaic but not the Ethiopic, the Book of Luminaries circulating independently in the Aramaic).

• ballistic
    ballistic

Whos to say the bible hasn't played an important role in the evolution of human society. What if you were an alien race trying to impose order on an under-developed race. OK I don't believe in aliens, but it has played it's part hasn't it. We're moving on.

• PaganCross
    PaganCross

Was discussing the Old Testament "Apocrypha"books at my book study.The conductor didnt know what I was Talking about untill I showed him it in the Insight books.Why were these books not included in the KJ 1611?Not inspired?Who's to say?

Mel Gibson may do a movie about I&II Maccabees.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit