The Watchtower In Crisis: Why They Can't Raise Good Kids

by metatron 19 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

If there any single factor that I would rate as the highest priority in raising a child, it is this:

Teach them to be caring, loving adults who care about other people.

We've already noted, ad nauseum, how Witnesses are largely impelled by motives other than love in their "ministry". Beyond the

"pioneer stroll" and fantasies about who's-house-you-want-after-Armageddon, there is a further problem in raising Witness kids

that I list as:

3) Discouraging acts of charity, kindness and empathy - if the Watchtower believes that selfishness is the natural inclination

of youth, they have a responsibility to see that better motives are practised. Instead, picking up a hammer for Habitat for Humanity

or contributing to Amnesty International are seen as 'worldly' and a waste of time in a "dying world". Never mind that early Christians

gained fame by rescuing abandoned Roman babies - or that the apostles set up an internal charity for starving widows, as

"putting in your time" is given the priority. I firmly believe in the transformative power of hands-on work of caring for

others and its ability to change predatory attitudes into a caring outlook.

More than this, you parents need to consider the delicate and slender thread - that may keep your kids away from

trouble - the cultivated fear of hurting someone else. Let me tell you a true story:

I once knew a vivacious, attractive, single young woman in her 20's - who was intelligent, successful and independent.

Since she had a prominent job in the public eye, I once asked her why she didn't change her obviously 'ethnic' last name.

( as obvious as 'Scharwzenegger, you get the idea!). She replied, "I couldn't, it would hurt my father."

Having troubles in my own household, I nearly burst into tears.

Who knows what self destruction or horror your kids might avoid by the simple thought that their parents would be hurt?

How many Witness parents will shed tears because their kids react otherwise, being raised in a cold, legalistic, judgemental

cult? How many will suffer the dismissive thought that 'my parents are religious fanatics!' ( ask me, I KNOW!)

What do you expect from a religion that is far more skilled in the practise of shunning than any act of charity or care?

4) The effect of extremism - All kids will naturally rebel - that's just a part of growing up and testing the boundaries while

becoming an adult - but this process doesn't need to be amplified by Watchtower extremism! Can I join the football

team? No! Can I go to the prom? No! Can I go to college? (often no!) Do I have to go to 5 boring meetings a week? Yes!

Do I have to peddle magazines door to door? Yes! Is there any reason why we have to go to l-o-n-g t-i-r-e-s-o-m-e

days at the assembly, in which everyone else is half awake, anyway? Yes!

Now, continue the above process for about 15 or 16 years of your kids' life and guess what often happens?

The kid privately concludes "My parents are idiots. They are religious fanatics who are wasting their lives - and mine.

I gotta get OUTTA HERE!". At that moment of thought, the "baby gets thrown out with the bathwater". The future

Ex-Witness kid may end up worse than his 'worldly' peers because all of his parents advice is tainted by the organization's

extremism. Can you say "unintended consequences"?

Can someone tell me why the "Your Youth" book has two chapters against masturbation? Do any of you parents think

that there might be much bigger threats to your kids than a private 'bathroom' function? Like drugs? or drunken driving?

Hello?

I know an elder's wife who has privately wondered why the Witness kids she sees seem so 'socially inept'. Take all of the reasons

mentioned previously and wonder no more, sister!

Now, the final reason:

5) the cultivation of uncritical thinking and fantasy - The organization critically depends upon cultivating uncritical thinking and

acceptance of its demands. Nearly every Watchtower magazine, these days, is a showpiece of 'do as we say and don't ask

too many questions'. How else can you get 6 million people motivated after one hundred and twenty years of false

prophecy? That's quite a lot of history to ignore - did you ever get angry waiting for for an overdue repairman to come to your

home? Try ignoring that sort of delay multipied by a factor of thousands in the ceaseless promise of Armageddon Soon!

Did it help young Witnesses when the Society told them to avoid college because the End was so soon - in 1969?

( the May Awake of that year). Are those Witness 'kids' worried about retirement today?

As an elder, I constantly witnessed the fruits of uncritical thinking particularily in the sort of widespread health problems

that seem to ravage Witness congregations. Do have Candida? Multiple Personalities? Depression? Anorexia? Self Mutilation

Syndrome? Irritable Bowel Syndrome? The latest weird, Witness-trendy ailment that has few or no objective medical evidences

behind it? I'm not saying that they aren't really sick - far from it! They never seem to catch on that nearly any ailment

has a strong emotional component and your subconscious might be sending you a message that I've had enough of this

nonsense! I got tired of going out in service hearing about how "pollution" must be causing their running noses - despite

the obvious presence of nature's allergens and the absence of factories, long gone.

If you think thinking ability has any abundance among Witnesses, ask yourself why Sister Accountant can't handle the

congregation finances instead of Brother Fumble? Or why the elder who mumbles in a thick accent is chosen to deliver

critical annoucements? Or why no one can figure out why the sound system is screwed up? Or why the Society's songbook

was written by hacks? ( "molested bees"????) Or how they can spend thousands of hours to create one baptism?

Add your own observations here.

In summary, there are no guarantees in life or in raising kids. I know that some Witness kids will turn out OK inspite

of all of the above. Nevertheless, my opinion is that this organization is far too willing to label its youth as wicked and discard

them in the blind pursuit of extreme goals. I cannot tell you how many kids I saw ,as an elder of many years, who might have

turned out to be reasonably balanced, fufilled adults - if they were raised apart from the standards of the distant elderly ( and

almost entirely childless) men who run the Watchtower. Let me leave you with a true story that illustrates the problem:

Some years back, Governing Body member Gerrit Loesch was sent on a tour of branches in Europe and South Africa.

Therein, he was accosted by tearful Witness parents who asked what they could do about their families falling apart and kids

giving up the 'truth'. His glib response was to fire back "Read your Bible!". It's too bad that some sister didn't take immediate

offense and slap him good and hard. If someone had, perhaps District Overseers wouldn't have requoted this idiotic reply as

profound wisdom. Why didn't someone say, "What the hell book do you think we're reading? Do you think we never

heard of the 'Bible'? How about some specifics, such as Jesus might reply with, when questioned?"

The old men in charge are clueless. They don't know what to do. They don't know what to say. They don't want to think

that they are causing much of this exodus of Witness kids away from the 'truth' - and into trouble.

Consider the above and search your hearts, you Witness parents. One day, when you look with dimmed eyes out from

that nursing facility, you might appreciate a visit from a loving son or daughter - who never learned the pathways of a cold

religious extremism that bears a name usually associated with a prison camp:

"Watchtower"

metatron

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    Do have Candida? Multiple Personalities? Depression? Anorexia? Self Mutilation

Syndrome? Irritable Bowel Syndrome? The latest weird, Witness-trendy ailment that has few or no objective medical evidences

behind it?

Metraton - I'm not sure if its just the odd bissection of paragraphs and sentences (formatting problem?) in your post or if I have simply misunderstood. Are you suggesting that the above illnesses do not exist except in the minds of witnesses?

• Gill
    Gill

Oh Wow, Metatron!

Exactly, exactly, exactly!

Crumpet - Metatron was saying that the extreme stress and pressures of being a JW causes these terrible problems amongs some witnesses, who subconsciously just can't take it any more.

I was dishing out supplements to my very sick JW cousin today, and all I wanted to say was for God's sake leave that damned cult....but I couldn't, I was too afraid that she wouldn't speak to me again because she's in too deep.

Damn the WTBTS!!!!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Thanks Gill!

(crumpet climbs off her high horse as she no longer needs to go into depth about her IBS symptoms).

(rest of JWD forum wipes sweat from brow in relief)

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Thanks for posting that, I really enjoyed reading it.

The old men in charge are clueless. They don't know what to do. They don't know what to say. They don't want to think

that they are causing much of this exodus of Witness kids away from the 'truth' - and into trouble.

This is caused by their anti-education bias. They make themselves to be human counsellors, yet they don't know what the f*&^ they are doing.

• Gill
    Gill

Hey Crumpet - IBS - I could write a book on it!

Take Magnesium for the stress related side of it and then the best multi-probiotics you can afford, except not just one capsule a day but one with every meal! Watch for results in a week or so.

Magnesium by the way, you can take up to 600mg a day but you MUST space out the dose! Then gradually bring the dose down to about 300mg a day. Healthspan do a great Mg with B Vits. EXCELLENT!

Metatron - sorry for hijacking the thread but.....it's still absolutely brilliant and very accurate!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Met, these are some very profound observations and thoughts.

Using fear as a motivator did not work to make my children well adjusted. Thank goodness I was rebellious when it came to the "charity and kindness only to the strong". So I have very kind, generous, but messed up royally, kids.

• metatron
    metatron

Emphatically no! They really are sick!

Countless Witnesses search in desperation for a "reason" why they feel lousy, sick or depressed. If you do this

long enough, your body will give you a reason! You will become infected, depressed or suffer the results of stress!

I have observed my own health rebound first, after leaving Bethel and second , after giving up as an elder. The mind and body

are intimately connected - and while right thinking may not heal you, "wrong" thinking will make you sick!

metatron

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Gill - thanks so much for that advice. I actually started taking this one called Multibionta or similar three weeks ago along with a probiotic yoghurt and it has worked wonders. Is it safe to take more than one a day though? There is still room for improvement though. But the number of nights I have to sleep in the spare room owing to "windiness" and cramps have reduced which is excellent!

Sorry Metatron for further girlie chatting about health probs! (I do miss that aspect of the JWs - there were so many semi-hypochondriacs as well as genuinely ill people and I used to love "listening in" to the hushed coversations my mother would have with other sisters about various ailments -it was my personal highlight of the Tuesday night bookstudy!)

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

It still blows my mind when I consider the physical disease that I believe the Watchtower causes.

Myself, I've always been a really healthy guy. But in the six months or so leading up to my departure, I was accosted by more and more frequent stress-related physical symptoms, such as that terrible sinking knot in the stomach and a sore throat with an "insta-on" function that would fire up whenever I thought about something that challenged my faith.

I have no doubt in my mind that if I had ignored these preliminary symptoms, I would have done so at great cost to my physical and mental health. The mind in conflict does not produce a happy body.

Now when I think about those poor souls in the congregation, about how their mind is desperately trying to survive under terribly stressful situations, I really feel for them.

SNG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit