Is the Christian Beliefs System (Biblical) a Divisive Force In Our Species?

by frankiespeakin 12 Replies latest jw friends

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

When one looks at the world history of the religions of Christianity, Islam, and Judaism,, does it show them to be religions of peace?

I'm talking about the fundamentalist parts of these religions. Each one IMO seems to be a force for agression and war. The basic tennants of each one teaches they are the right religion and that one must believe a certain thing in order to be blessed. The fundamentalist part of each of these religions believes in the literalist interpretation of it's holy writings,,and those not beleiving are in a cursed position before thier God. I see these religions as a definite force that works against the common good for our species.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi Frankie,

I would split that into two distinct questions:

(1) do monotheistic religions generate more conflict than others? They probably have a tendency for conquest inasmuch as they think of themselves as universal. But practically it depends whether they are interpreted in an exclusivistic or inclusivistic way; and generally you can find both ways in each tradition (although the exclusivistic side unfortunately makes the headlines).

(2) is division per se a bad thing? One might see the religious difference as an integral part of linguistical/cultural diversity which is an unsuperable fact. Imo the famous story of the Tower of Babel illustrates that division can be appraised positively, in spite of the conflicts it is bound to create or nurture.

• Ianone
    Ianone

When critisizing a religion, the founder of that religion must be brought into question. Judging christianity on the protestant and catholic crusades and murders is unfair and invalid.

The teachings of Christ are to be analyzed.

• blondie
    blondie

Of course political beliefs don't divide.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I think it is important to deliniate "Christianity" as taught by Jesus, as compared to "Christianity" as taught by Paul, Peter, and others who re-defined Christianity to suit their own purposes. I don't see the authentic teachings of Jesus (universal love for God and neighbor, and forgiveness) as particularly divisive, however Christianity as taught by some who came later, up to and including people like Jimmy Swaggart and Jerry Falwell, are exteremely divisive. These people can find a scriptural verse to support any twisted thing they want.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Nark,

I agree with the qualifiers you mention. That's why I put "fundamentalist" as a qualifier in my begining post, because they are predominately eclusivistic type of christians.

Blondie,

Yes, political beliefs have played a major role too, and fundamentalist christians for the most part support politcal persons of thier beleif system.

Ianone,

The teachings of Christ as outlined in the bible contridict one another,, it all depends on which gospel your in or what teaching you refer to.

GG,

I used fundamentalist as a qualifier, for all three groups, and so as far as christians are mentioned it would be those that beleive the whole bible as the word of God with its teaching that the world is corrupt and will be destroyed,, and that only those that have faith will get the blessing. These teachings in my opinion fosters an attitude of superioirty for those that consider themselves "saved" as they consider those not saved to be those of the world and under Satans controlling influence. These type of exclusivistic teachings IMO serve to seperate them in some way which opens the way to inhumain treatment of those not believing,,since the veiwpoint this encourages is that these pagans are marked by God for hell or destruction anyway.

• Satanus
    Satanus

All three religions grew off the same tree. Why not include the root - judaism??

S

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Satan,

Yes, and when you look at the OT you see a God that encourages separateness and enemty for all other religions and people that follow "other" Gods. This to me paints a very unhealthy picture in the minds of his worshipers towards those with different beleifs further dividing the family of man,,creating the cultic us against them senerio,, which promotes wars and misunderstanding.

• Carmel
    Carmel

"Thirdly: Bahá'u'lláh taught, that Religion is the chief foundation of Love and Unity and the cause of Oneness. If a religion become the cause of hatred and disharmony, it would be better that it should not exist. To be without such a religion is better than to be with it.

Fourthly: Religion and Science are inter-twined with each other and cannot be separated. These are the two wings with which humanity must fly. One wing is not enough. Every religion which does not concern itself with Science is mere tradition, and that is not the essential. Therefore science, education and civilization are most important necessities for the full religious life.

Fifthly: The Reality of the divine Religions is one, because the Reality is one and cannot be two. All the prophets are united in their message, and unshaken. They are like the sun; in different seasons they ascend from different rising points on the horizon. Therefore every ancient prophet gave the glad tidings of the future, and every future has accepted the past.

Sixthly: Equality and Brotherhood must be established among all members of mankind. This is according to Justice. The general rights of mankind must be guarded and preserved.

All men must be treated equally. This is inherent in the very nature of humanity."

(Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 28)

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Carmel,

Those are nobel ideas.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit