The most frightening haircut of my life ...

by dedalus 10 Replies latest jw friends

• dedalus
    dedalus

This morning I went for a haircut, and since my usual stylist (Caroline, quick with the clippers and a joke, does magic with my floppy mop of hair), was out, I told the receptionist I'd settle for whoever was available. After a moment I was handed over to "Winnie," whom I recognized as a Witness from a neighboring congregation -- alas, not before she'd roughly dunked my head in the sink. I was pretty sure she recognized me, too.

"So how have you been, Dedalus," she said.

"Um, just fine, and you?" I replied.

"Very good, just returned from the District Convention," she said, smiling sickly.

"Oh, how nice," I murmured, trying to keep my neck straight as she towelled my hair with an enthusiasm that can only be classified as homicidal.

Once seated, I vehemently stressed that I wanted only a little bit trimmed off the back and sides. She crossed her arms, waved the scissors once or twice in the air, and bluntly ask, "Say, are you disfellowshipped?"

I replied, nearly breathlessly, "No, I'm not, nor am I disassociated, nor am I a raving mad lunatic apostate." (Okay, okay, I lied about the last one.) Her expression softened somewhat, which inspired in me some confidence. Thinking I might preserve a shred of personal dignity without leaving the salon completely bald, I added, "Yeah, I just don't attend the meetings anymore."

To my surprise she adopted a sympathetic stance. "Well, this old world of Satan's can drag you down," she said, bending over my head.

I tried to turn the conversation to neutral topics, but she wouldn't let me. "Have you heard that So-and-so is disfellowshipped?" she said, clipping away. Now, "So-and-so" happens to be my sister-in-law, a wonderful woman with a lot of spirit, who was unjustly disfellowshipped. I felt obliged to defend her, even if at risk to myself (and my hair).

"Yeah," I said, "So-and-so went to the elders and confessed her, um, 'sin,' said she was sorry and repentant, and they disfellowshipped her anyway. Isn't that confusing? I thought repentant people didn't get disfellowshipped, that God," -- I couldn't bring myself to say 'Jehover', -- "is merciful."

She paused for a moment, sheared off a lock of hair behind my ears, and staunchly replied, "I never question the elders. Everything they do, they do for a reason." With that she knocked my head forward to trim the nape of my neck, and I prudently decided not to respond. We finished the haircut in silence.

As I was leaving, she said, "Nice catching up with you." The receptionist, who assigned me to Winnie, looked up and smiled at me. "Oh, you two know each other, how sweet! I knew I was doing something right when I put her with you." I glared, nodded hurriedly, dropped a twenty behind the counter, and left -- thankfully, with a not-too-bad cut (nothing compares with Caroline, though).

If I learned one thing from the experience, it's this: next time I get a haircut, I'm going to make an appointment first!

Dedalus

• myMichelle
    myMichelle

LOL!!

That was great!

Thanks for the laugh. The investigative reporters in my area have nothing on you, I don't think any of them would have risked their hair-do for the story.

Michelle

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Ded,

This is too funny of a story! Thanks for sharing!

Billygoat

• alamb
    alamb

Thanks for the giggle.
    By the way, I'm a hair-doer, licensed and all so if you're ever in this neck of the woods, shop's open. I am thinking of running Apostate Specials.
    My husband requests the topless cuts

• Commie Chris
    Commie Chris

YIKES! I'm having a vasectomy tomorrow. I'm nervous enough as it is. Now I've got one more thing to worry about.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

At least nobody will see THAT haircut!

Billygoat

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

isn't it nice how God always provides encouragement at the proper time.

• JanH
    JanH

Ded,

This just proves that God's Word was providing an ample warning in the story about Samson. Shag the girls as much as you want, but don't let them cut your hair!

- Jan of the uncut class
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The Devil´s Dictionary, 1911]

• reagan_oconnor
    reagan_oconnor
    - Jan of the uncut class

Hmmm... is this referring to the hair?

<Man, I'm EEEEvil today...>

Reagan

I am the master of my fate/I am the captain of my soul.

• JanH
    JanH

Reagan,

- Jan of the uncut class

Hmmm... is this referring to the hair?

To the hair as well, yes

Except, I sometimes cut my hair.

- Jan
    --
    Faith, n. Belief without evidence in what is told by one who speaks without knowledge, of things without parallel. [Ambrose Bierce, The Devil´s Dictionary, 1911]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit