almost done with college, what next?

by jwbot 22 Replies latest jw friends

• jwbot
    jwbot

So, In June, I will be officially done with my schooling. I realized today that I will not graduate THIS semester because I needed 2 more art classes to fullfill my Studio Art minor. Well I immediately signed up for two "boot camp" classes in the summer, MTWThF classes from morning till afternoon...for a full month! Sheesh!

Oh so what can a girl with a BA in New Media and a minor in Studio Art DO?? Hey does anyone have a job for me? ;) I can see an end in sight (that is...until I am married in september and decide to re-enroll to get a masters, haha) but now that I see that end...I see that I will need a job. *chokes* OMG I am scared...

Any advice???

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Convince your fiance to move to NYC and get a job here.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

The world is your oyster hun...you have a million things to choose from. What is your dream job? Pursue it! I haven't done that...I've pursued money. And here I am at 33 trying to make a MAJOR career change, which means taking a MAJOR cut in pay to do what I want. If I could go back to your age, I would do things differently career-wise. Look for your dream job and don't take no for an answer. Look...keep looking until someone says yes.

Just my two cents,

Andi

• Valis
    Valis

Go somewhere else and get a Masters..

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Do research on the net about jobs with that kind of a degree.

Don't worry to much yet. First finish your education well, and then worry about finding a place in which to work and grow.

Congratulations in advance!!! A Bachelor's Degree is quite an accomplishment these days.

DY

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Well in the New World they should be using New Media.

• Valis
    Valis

http://www.maine.info/jobs8.html

There is a list of colleges and links to job opening they might have. Since you already are familiar with the academic environment that is a good place to go job hunting.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• franklin J
    franklin J

yes, my advice is to get a job and work.

find a job placement agency and start the interviewing. It may take some time, but hey, what else have you got to do now that you do not go out in field service and attend meegings...chuckle, chuckle

In all seriousness, find a job and build your career for a few yeats after you are married. You will be surprised how much you enjoy it.

• jwbot
    jwbot

Thanks guys! (Thanks for the link Valis). I am looking at job posting sites and there is nothing that I see myself doing. I want to do design, my dream job is to work at a newspaper or magazine doing layout design, even advertisements. Oh that would be neat. I know that I can sort of sit back and do some good searching and there is not a huge rush...although my fiance would like a little help from me as he has been the one bringing home the bacon. :)

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

First of all, CONGRATS on finishing your degree to this point! That is a great accomplishment.

Second, do not stress over getting the perfect job. Realize that good things take time; there are very few who get out

there and find the exactly perfect job. My nephew graduated in Graphic Arts and took the first offer he got (he is quite

good, but not the very top student). The others in his program almost scoffed at him as they were waiting for those

great big offers. Ha. He worked for a well-known sporting goods company for 2 yrs, then had an opportunity to move on to

a major university sports department, where he is now. He designs their logos, etc. and gets in to all the big games (University

of Kansas). Awesome job and worth the short wait.

My daughter was a Business student w/ minor in fine arts and got a job working in a hotel office, which she hated. But one thing

leads to another (ALWAYS watch for opportunity)..she ended up being the Director of a small town's arts center, which really boosted her resume and she has now gone on to bigger and bigger things. Believe me, I don't know how many phone calls I got from her, crying, "I'll never make it...I can't find a good job...etc." It was tough, I had to boost her confidence many times over the years, but she was tough and made her way just fine.

So, Good Luck, watch for the little opportunities to come your way!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit