JW at meetings vs. JW at social events

by truth_about_the_truth 10 Replies latest jw friends

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

Have you noticed how JW switch modes depending on where they are?

They seem a lot more 'normal' at social gatherings than while they are engaged in 'theocratic' activities.

It's like there's a spiritual switch that they turn on and off. Zombie mode/Human mode

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Sorry, I meant to say - see the following web page for a social scientific explanation of this phenomenon:

http://www.anthrobase.com/Dic/eng/pers/goffman_erving.htm

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

very interesting. Thanks for the link.

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

ha! i guess it depends who you ask... some witnesses take the JDUB baggage everywhere they go... bowing their heads for minutes at a time before a meal in a restaurant, leaving mags as tips (wherever tips are expected), preaching when someone toasts or even just clinks their glasses... a lot of Jdubs are the same boring meeting-goers in social events. the rest are leading a double life!

bethel

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation
    leaving mags as tips

Oh my frickin God! Were you present when somebody did that? I would have died of embarassment.

• Whiskeyjack
    Whiskeyjack

My father was one of those who would preach at the drop of a hat wherever he was but you're correct. One quarter are too fearful (ridicule, derision, etc...) and the two quarters modify their behaviour in accordance with the envirionment they find themselves at the time (school, work, social events, etc...) when not "on duty" to varying degrees.

Most younger individuals I've known did this for the life experience more than anything else and then the deception starts and they learn to lie like gangbusters to protect those experience opportunities which is the saddest thing in my opinion.

• proplog2
    proplog2

I never noticed a difference between the conversations after the meetings and the conversations at social gatherings.

After meetings people talk about their jobs, investments, home projects, pets, their children, recent purchases, health, sports and even politics. Rarely religion. A meeting or two after 9-11 there would be a little speculative discussion about prophecy but that's it.

Social gatherings more of the same. The last thing they want to talk about is their faith.

• truth_about_the_truth
    truth_about_the_truth

proplog,

I guess i should have specified during the meetings instead of at the meetings. You are right, the after-meeting chat session is just like a social event. Ppl talk about general things. The spiritual switch seems to go on at the beginning and ending amens.

• Honesty
    Honesty

They seemed to be happier at the social gatherings but it could have just been all the alcohol they consumed and then lied about later.

• TheOneBuck
    TheOneBuck

Hahaha yeah they did lie about it a lot. I never did, if I polished a fifth and they asked I would tell them. Getting loopy drunk every now and again does not make you a drunk, but again there are always ones out there who take things way to literally or try to force their opinions on you.... nevermind this could end up being a LONG reply :-)..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit