Going into debt too pay for a wedding

by unbeliever 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

There's nothing wrong with a manageable amount of debt, IMHO. Different people have different priorities, and that's their prerogative.

OTOH, $3,000 for a photographer sounds pretty frankly ridiculous to me.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

The Wild One and I ran away and got married in a little chapel in Reno, cost us all of $160.00. We just didn't have the money to spend at the time, but I have done this twice, and the intimacy of a few close friends in a tiny chapel meant so much more to me than the big blow out in 1980. Lots of stress and a year paying on it. Yuck...

Much better to remember the meaning and throw out all the pomp and ceremony if ya asks me, anyhow...

Jeannie

• Purza
    Purza

It is amazing how quickly everything adds up. I am getting married this year and I started with a $5K budget and I am now pushing $10K. I would be happy with a backyard wedding, but fiancee won't have it. He said I didn't get a wedding the first time around and that our wedding will be our "last" wedding, that we should have some fun with it. And we have asked friends to help with photography and catering -- the cost is in the ceremony and reception sites.

I agree though -- if you are young and don't have a lot of money -- DONT spend it on a wedding.

Purza

• Carmel
    Carmel

Hey, my wedding cost $8.00 The church was free and we headed out in my 57 volks bug for a hot night in the bridal suite..cost $35.00, our big expenditure... Must have worked, still hitched after 41 yrs.

carmel

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

It's not worth it. I wanted to take out a loan just so I could have this great reception , but hubby said no. I'm glad he did. We spent all of about $1000...got married in an historic mansion, had a cake/champagne afterwards, danced and had a great time. I had friends help me make some of the favors and the centerpieces. My husband and I made our cd, then had a record shop make the copies. In my opinion, it can be very easy to have a nice wedding on a budget. Even at a reception hall...where I worked before.

• badboy
    badboy

tHERE ARE SPONSORED WEDDINGS.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Nina and I spent $900 on our wedding, but we took a 9 day honeymoon in Cancun. Of the two I liked the honeymoon better.

• Shania
    Shania

We gave our daughter a buget to follow------we paid for food-flowers and limo, she covered everything else.......................we put in $10,000 and she put in $5,000 so we thought for 180 guest at a beautiful country club on a gourges fall day it was perfect amount to spend...................she also bought her home before they got married which was a smart decission.............all and all we gave her a buget to work withand we didn't go broke.

• Golf
    Golf

Dr. Phil recently had a show that covered this very topic, she missed it.

Sorry, I don't go along with this type of reasoning, sorry.

Carmel, I see we lived in the same time frame and prices.

Golf

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

Our wedding cost us around £4500 ($8500) and we had it in a pub by the beach, 50 friends and a sit down meal for the reception. It doesn't have to cost a fortune but my wife looked breathtaking in her dress and the photographer was ok.

We could have spent more but we figured that people that do end up doing it just for show

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit