When is the real date for the memorial

by Ticker 9 Replies latest jw experiences

• Ticker
    Ticker

Ive heard it is not actually march 23 but is the night of march 22. I am asking becuase Im just going to celebrate it on my own but I would like to try and do it on the correct date. If anyone knows the correct date It would be much appreciated as I know the witness date for the memorial is out to lunch.

Ticker

• kls
    kls

It is march 24 at sundown,last i heard

• AshtonCA
    AshtonCA
    Ive heard it is not actually march 23 but is the night of march 22. I am asking becuase Im just going to celebrate it on my own but I would like to try and do it on the correct date. If anyone knows the correct date It would be much appreciated as I know the witness date for the memorial is out to lunch.

Hi Ticker,

actually, their date this year is the 24th and it is wrong like you said. The real date for the Passover/Memorial celebration is the 23rd (Nisan 14 after sundown). The JW's use the wrong calendar to calculate it, so they are usually wrong every year.

Just go get some wine and bread from the jewish section of your local market and enjoy the lovely flavor of saltless crackers hehe. We usually do a nice chianti that night. It doesn't have to be kosher.

Ash

• AshtonCA
    AshtonCA
    It is march 24 at sundown,last i heard

like I said, that's the JW's date. the real date is the night before (23rd).

Man, I feel like a broken record lol

Ash (who just noticed she made junior member, cool! what do I get?)

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Actually, they just use the calendar all the other Christians use. Since the resurrection was on a Sunday, Good Friday was on....... a Friday, and the Maundy Thursday keeps the Last Supper.

Remeber, Jesus didn't say, "this ye do in memory of me on Nissan 14." No, he just simply said "this ye do in memory in me." It was common among early Christians to have the Eucharist every Sunday (cf. St. Justin Martyr).

• blondie
    blondie

I will point out that the Jews are celebrating the first day of Passover after sundown on APRIL 23.

http://www.kashrut.com/Passover/

So in the part of the Christian world Good Friday will be on March 25

and the Jews will be celebrating in on April 23

and the JWs on March 24

• Ticker
    Ticker

Thanks for thoese insights on the date everyone. Its funny the witnesses tend to think their la carbon copy of the first century christians and they cant even get the date right. It takes other sources to even discover the true date. Good point Classicist, your right their is no specific mention of a yearly date to observe but like you stated, they were to keep doing it in rememberance. I also recall reading awhile back how the NWT actually slanted certain scriptures that supported a frequent rememberance, once a week or so was the custom I believe. Very interesting point and a good one to refresh in my memory. Thanks again to everyone for help with the date and yes I just plan to get some wine and crackers and partake.

LMAO I actually typed wine and cheese and then noticed what I had typed, oh well made me laugh.

Ticker

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

I had always thought that the date was worked from the Vernal Equinox.

Memorial night is the first night of the first full moon after the equinox.

My diary for this year was bought at a cheap remainders shop and does not tabulate the waxing waning and full moons. Maybe someone can check and post this info?

Whenever I checked this in the past the WTS date was always out by a day or so at least.

Waning Rodent

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

This was big news to me when I first read these memorial posts over the past few weeks. Is this the first time that the memorial hasnt been held on nisan 14? Heck even in the witnesses song it went "twas nisan 14 when your glory was seen" Oh well they've lied about so many other things, why should it surprise me about this?

Dave

• Will Power
    Will Power

Thanks for asking this question again. I've been wanting to talk about it since it has turned out to be s topic my Husb. is so far willing to discuss.
    (previous instructions have been that I am forbidden - He JW, me informed nonjw)

So far he has found out that in 325 Hillell II changed the Jewish calculations for the calendar so that passover would at least be in the right season every year.
    It is complicated but - in the end - for a religion that screams "no part of this world" why have they taken the secular course?

The Jewish calendar is the way it is because it wanted to stay clear of the "nations".

here is a link filled with great stuff about the passover - Nisan 14.

http://www.leaderu.com/theology/passover.html

amazing how the WT is a pick & choose for their own gain in how it USES the OT when it suits them - if I was Jewish I'd be outraged as much as I am because I'm a Christian!!!

sincerely
    will

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit