Revenge? or Disclosure?

by Odrade 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Odrade
    Odrade

Chuckky's series of threads about the death of his Father-in-Law prompt this. When is the right time to send letters to the editor, or contact the newspaper about the cruelty and vindictiveness from the local BOE? There are hundreds, if not thousands of stories on this board that are so clearly NOT just a case of congregational discipline. These stories would make any thinking person who heard them want to stay far, far away from the local JWs.

Sometimes, it's not helpful to the individual to publicize the BOE's actions, it might even be seen as revenge. My personal feeling though, is that disclosure of examples like this where the elders "beat the flock" could be helpful in many ways.

My words aren't very elegant this morning, but I'd really like to see some discussion about this. I know there are many more stories like Chuckky's out there, but we almost never see them written up in the paper. I don't think it's always because the paper doesn't think it newsworthy. I think it mostly happens because rarely are the stories even publicized. Maybe that's why, in this information age, there are still so many people who believe the JWs are "those religious people who's children dress so nicely," as I heard one lady describe them.

Odrade

• Undecided
    Undecided

I've been out for thirty years but when I was a young JW I wasn't controlled as so many here seemed to have been. I did about as I chose and became the PO when I was about 30. I moved to the DC area and I saw a different side of the elders. I was invited to a meeting of a group of elders and I could sense they were sort of above the ordinary publisher. I didn't fit in at all. I quit going to the meetings there. I don't like arrogance that is so much a part of the GB.

Ken P.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

You're probably right, Odrade. On the other hand, I think of my own case; the ultimate result is that I was shunned by my family. Would I really want to write a Letter to the Editor airing my own family's dirty laundry? In chuckky's case, his m-i-l is still a Witness; writing such a letter could probably damage his relationship with her (depending on where she stands; she's obviously not a conventional JW if she invited a da'ed person to conduct her husband's funeral).

In general, that seems to be the problem... for those of us who are most hurt, the situation is usually personal enough that we probably wouldn't want to see it in a newspaper. I know that's an odd thing to say when posting on a discussion board that can be read anywhere in the globe, but it's still true.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Okay, thinking of your case... I suspect the story may not be as print-worthy as chuckky's, (no offense) because the action of the elders and your family was primarily taken against you. Some even non-JWs would argue that the elders had a right to set rules about you using the hall for your wedding, and by your actions you demonstrated you didn't want to be in the religion.

The more extreme cases though, I don't think it's airy family dirty laundry to say "the elders threatened anyone who wants to attend this funeral, not held at a hall, over which they have no jurisdiction, refusing to support one of their own members, simply because she asked her son-in-law, who is a former member, to conduct the funeral. They don't like this because no one leaves with impugnity, and they are going to prove that point by punishing anyone who has any dealings with him." and so on.

I would imagine that example would be taken differently than your situation, or mine. And it's absolutely no reflection on the Mother-in-law, as she is also an innocent victim of bad treatment, especially in her time of need.

I think I was also remembering how Minimom was treated for attending her granddaughter's wedding, a story which really sticks in my mind as being especially cruel. Other cases like this too, where it seems the BOE went out of their way to be vengeful, petty and punitive--looking for ways to punish, rather than lovingly help as they claim to do.

Maybe it's not really different in the end, it just FEELS different.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Just an update on my previous thread.As you know, my mother in law who is a JW, asked me to conduct the funeral for my father in law.I am disassociated. Apparently, the elders wrote to the society and had a meeting today. The outcome is that noone is allowed to come to the funeral, not even close friends of my mother in law from the hall. If they do, then they will lose privileges. So now, not only does my mother in law have to deal with the death of her husband of 45 yrs, but also has to deal with the fact that none of her so called friends will show up at the funeral.

'BY THIS ALL WILL KNOW THAT YOU ARE MY DISCIPLES, BY THE LOVE YOU HAVE AMONG YOURSELVES!'

If that is a measure of true christianity, then JW's are about as far away from christian discipleship as it is possible to get!

Thanks everyone for your support...it means a lot

CHUKKY

I am so sorry to hear the lengths the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses will go to opress their followers and my heart goes out to everyone who has been affected by their malicious cruelty.

If you think this is an isolated case you are sadly mistaken. It happens in so many different ways and by so many in positions of power within the Watch Tower organisation. Just yesterday I called MR. [removed], Presiding Overseer of the Walland, TN. congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses 4836 East Lamar Alexander Pkwy; Walland, TN Phone # [removed] and informed him that the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society should be contacted as I have a court date set with my ex-wife as a defendant in a custody case. Information regarding court ordered agreements, current WTBTS doctrines regarding apostates, disassociation and blood transfusions along with the JW Elder's Manual, WTBTS book 'Direct and Cross Examination Questions in Child Custody Cases' along with,but not limited to, pertinent WTBTS articles, directives and publications encouraging Jehovah's Witnesses to violate federal and state confidentiality laws and to perjure themselves under oath in a court of law, WTBTS publications including WatchTower Bound Volumes, WatchTower Magazines, Bibles, Reasoning Book, etc. documenting the coverups, deceptions, outright lies and misquotes from secular sources will be introduced as evidence that the WTBTS, Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses and the Walland, TN. BOE are involved in this and similar cases throughout North America and other areas of the globe . One of the Walland Congregation elders, [removed] had promised to allow the use of the Kingdom Hall at 4836 Lamar Alexander Pkwy; Walland, TN. for a place of visitation and is listed as such on a court order in Blount County, TN. as the mediator to which he agreed to before the order was put in force. Due to the Walland, TN. Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses Body of Elders deciding that the divorce, in their words, was unscripturally obtained by myself they declared that they were not going to abide by their agreement which prompted my attorneys to file contempt of court charges against my ex-wife. Of course, I only was able to get so far as the reason for my call before [removed] slammed down the phone. I expected a little more than outright rudeness but, considering past performances by duly appointed servants of the WTBTS, I am not entirely puzzled by his actions.

Now, for the clincher.... I have a contract with a major publisher and distributor of daily newspapers in various areas of the U.S. and am more than willing to bring attention to the Associated Press numerous documents confirming cooperation and conciliation with the Third Reich and Adolph Hitler before and during WWII by the WTBTS, pending litigation involving the WTBTS as defendants involving slander and coverups of pedophiles in their congregations, the WTBTS documented financial investments including but not limited to the following: Rand Engine Corporation, Phillip Morris Tobacco Company, real estate holdings in Brooklyn Heights, N.Y. and throughout the world, interfaith activities including but not limited to DON MACLEAN (Australian Branch Overseer) and the WTBTS of Australia, European Human Rights/Government of Bulgaria Agreements and other activities of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses and the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of N.Y.; Pennsylavania and their affiliated corporations, legal entities and religous orders and organisations including but not limited to The Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses, European Association of Jehovah's Witnesses for the Protection of Religious Freedom ( Rue d'Argile 60 B-1950 Kraainem-Brussels,Belgium), Administrative Center for Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia (Srednyaya 6, Solnechnoye 18649 ST. Petersburg, Russian Federation), Consistorie National des Temoins de Jehovah (2, Ave. des Abattoirs 27400 Louviers, France).

MR. JAMES PELLECHIA, legal counsel WTBTS, I invite you to file a law suit against me regarding the above comments on behalf of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses, WALLAND, TN. Body of Elders, The Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society and its affiliated corporations, legal entities, religous orders and organisations.

Sincerely,

James R. Evans

Walland, TN. 37886

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

{deleted by Aude.}

• Simon
    Simon

If you wish to make accusations about people then please feel free to do so on your own website.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    Odrade wrote:
    Okay, thinking of your case... I suspect the story may not be as print-worthy as chuckky's,

Oh, I agree. I was just trying to make a larger point about the effect on personal relationships. Chuckky may not feel that printing the story would reflect badly on his m-i-l, for example, but she might still feel embarrassed by it. Ditto for Minimus' mom, etc.

Like any abusive family, one of the prime rules of the WTS is "never tell outsiders anything negative." Unless someone is fully mentally free of the WTS, they're likely to respond pretty badly to publicity, IMHO.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I see nothing wrong with ensuring that the actions of leaderships are kept in the public eye... who else is more qualified to watch the watchers than the public as a whole?

This is why the American judicial system is by law required to make cases public.

• dostprefer
    dostprefer

Re: Revenge? or Disclosure?

Vengeful people are often lured into telling lies and believing their own. However in doing this they will disclose more about themselves than they intend to. Robert Burns "oh would the giftie gie us to see oursels as others see us"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit