Ozzie's Weekend Poll #127

by ozziepost 42 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day all,

Yes, we're early this weekend! Well, you know what they say, "the early bird catches the worm"? And we need to take full advantage of the days which have been "cut short"!!

So, how are things with you? Hope you're feeling stronger. Summer has now passed downunder and the fresh southerly winds have started to blow already. beautiful!

So, what shall we discuss this weekend? It seems that the Awake! going monthly is a very topical subject so settle back, take a nice glass of shiraz, or a cup of tea or coffee and reminisce awhile with us as we invite your comments on this poll question:

What will you miss most when the Awake! goes monthly?

1. How can I sell the "Watchtower" on its own?

2. All that 'knowledge'.

3. How will I "Watch the World"?

4. How will I know "What Young People are Asking"?

5. The Christmas issue!

6. The crossword.

7. Keeping up-to-date with medical knowledge.

8. 32 pages.

9. Knowing how bad the world is.

10. Have to buy "Reader's Digest" now!

11. Its distorted view of..............................................everything!

12. Pictures of dubs in their 'Sunday best' clothes.

13. The cover

14. Not much.

15. Other (please detail)

So there we have it. Get your responses in - we're looking forward to reading your opinions. remember "What will you miss most?"

Enjoy.

Cheers, Ozzie

• under74
    under74

15. Other (please detail)

I guess I'd miss it because as a kid I hated having to read the Watchtower...the Awake was more like Entertainment Weekly for Witnesses. So.....I'm thinkin' about the kids. What are they gonna be forced to read now? Think about the kids dammit!

• new light
    new light

Now it's gonna take 8 years to get my equivalent of a bachelor's degree! And I was hoping to reach a Masters!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

LOL @ new light!! Ahhh, the memories! How often we were told that reading the Awake! is the equivalent of a university education!!

What i used to remind my 'brothers and sisters' was that none of the writing was original - it was all reported from other sources, so the writers of the Awake! were cribbing the research of those with a university education. Kinda seems back to front, eh?

• Honesty
    Honesty

15. (other)... Yeah, I'm gonna have to start saving for the kids' education now. The deceived ex-wife stillastupiddub mother of my precious children thought I was full of it when I told her that 6 weeks ago. I bet she's already figuring out how to spend their education club money when the WT god smites my apostate butt into oblivion at Armageddon.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

15, Other. Now I'm going to have to find something else to line my bird cage with 2 weeks of the month. Funny thing is, I used to used newspaper and my birds would get constipated. When I switched to the Awake! it cleared up, maybe they scream "Shit Here!"

Kwin

• ozziepost
  • blondie
    blondie

1. How can I sell the "Watchtower" on its own? Not that I place any but when I used to "feature" the magazines, I found it hard to use the WT since the articles were so boring and inapplicable to the homeowner. I would hide the WT behind the Awake and "feature" an article in it. With only one Awake....

2. All that 'knowledge'.

3. How will I "Watch the World"? Specifically selected "news" articles designed to put other religions, the medical profession, the governments in a bad light. Notice how they never quoted the source.

4. How will I know "What Young People are Asking"?

5. The Christmas issue! Which conveniently came out during Christmas. Like the literature offer in November used to be the NWT...when people were looking for a nice spiritual Christmas gift.

6. The crossword.

7. Keeping up-to-date with medical knowledge.

8. 32 pages.

9. Knowing how bad the world is.

10. Have to buy "Reader's Digest" now!

11. Its distorted view of..............................................everything!

12. Pictures of dubs in their 'Sunday best' clothes. Sisters with ankle breaking hemlines and high heels in "field service"

13. The cover

14. Not much.

15. Other (please detail) I get both magazines. I read the study articles right away and make notes. I sometimes glance through the WT side articles but I only flip through the Awakes and file them away. You can get better information from Newsweek or Time or similar magazines. Theoretically, it will be one less magazine the rank and file are expected to read. Will they take the time and read the WT before they walk through the door on the day it is slated to be studied? I doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised to see the day when the WT comes out once a month with all the study articles in it and an occasionally Question from for the Readers and a short article in the beginning designed for the public.

• prophecor
    prophecor

How will I "Watch the World"?
    How will I watch the world, indeed? Seems I can't stop this one to pay attention long enough!

• lawrence
    lawrence

Loving this thread, we have some very funny former brothers and sisters...I'm going to miss the articles about the faithful special pioneers who traded books for eggs and magazines for bread. The concentration camp stories are really inspiring and so are the ones about the sisters who walk 8000 miles to go to assemblies. Then again the medical advice is invaluable, I don't go to doctors anymore - I use the WTS Cd and search for Awake remedies and cures. So Ozzie, all in all it's a real tragedy to me to be missing the "food" at the "proper time." What maniacs did we associate with in our disturbing pasts?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit