Names given to children

by the_classicist 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Toronto_Guy
    Toronto_Guy

I knew of a Witness who's first name was "Nimrod", but I think he became a Witness as an adult. Not sure what his parents were thinking.

Both my brother and I have very unusal, although short, names, are both were chosen from the Old Testament. My Father apparently wanted to name me Elijah, he loved that name...thank god my mom didn't allow him! lol

toronto_guy

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

One kid was name Corban (not bad really) it means dedicated to God.

• Thinking
    Thinking

We have a girl in our hall named Brooklyn,
    and in my moms hall are brother and sister named
    Gideon and Bethel.
    My mom ate it up....like thier names were a ticket to pure spirituality!!!

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I think there are trends towards "traditional" names in general. I know of a guy whose new grandson has been named Reuben.

In the UK in 2004, Joshua, Thomas, James, Daniel, Samuel, Benjamin and Joseph were all in the top 10 boys names. Girls names seem to be heading in a more secular direction, with Grace and Hannah at 11 and 12, Abigail at 17 and Leah at 24 in the 100 most popular babies names.

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation
    We have a girl in our hall named Brooklyn

She should be glad the org isn't based in Yonkers or Hell's Kitchen.

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

I am jonathan,my bro is david.Remember they were best friends in the bible.Funny,were both out of the org ,and we are best friends.

• stopthepain
    stopthepain
    jw fever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Wooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!Catch It!!!!!!
  • Mulan
    Mulan

I think it didn't even have to be a Bible name, just a word in the Bible.

I knew a family who had two daughters, Bethel and Bethany. Kind of cute.

There was a little girl in our cong. named Shemaiah..............I don't remember what it means, but I don't think it was a name, just a word somewhere in Leviticus. Her brothers were Matthew, Mark and Luke.

I knew another family who, with their 7th child, finally had a girl and named her Hallelujah..........Hallie. They said "Hallelujah, it's a girl".

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Ugg my X and I had an agreement that he would name the boys and I would name the girls trusting our gender instincts about what is a good name to go through life with.

He named all three boys Bible names, his name was also a Biblical name so it fit for him. I like my boys names and only with the youngest did he part from the middle name also being a Biblical name.

My girls have short names you can't nick because I hated having so many nick names for my longish name. Funny thing is the girls who were very close in age called each other by pet names, lol.

Kate

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I was named after a Greek goddess, thanks to Dad. I coulda been a Shawn.

CG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit