For James Thomas: Re..Ram Das

by Valis 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis

Hi James, here is some info on Ram Das, AKA Richard Alpert...I thought it might be to your liking. The first time I read Be Here Now was when I was leaving my wife at a whole 20 years of age. My friend was moving to San Antonio and I decided a break might be in order. Well, my friend had a copy of it and I spent days reading it during his move. It was very easy reading and blended a lot of spiritual ideas into this man's belief. I appreciate his outlook and try my best to "Be Here Now", but sometimes my sarcastic nature gets the best of me. Hope you enjoy the links and have a great evening.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Thank you Valiji, for your post.

It seems that Ram Das has discovered what many (not enough) have. That is: if we can enter stillness deep enough, if we can silent the mind still enough, consciousness can see it's true purity, beauty and vastness. Too beautiful for words really.

We need go no where. Need learn or earn no thing. Just be present and silent enough right here to see what has always been. Too beautiful for words really....sorry, I said that already.

j

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Vail,

I've read him in his collaberation with Leary, and part of his book on enlightenment(?) and the one he wrote after his stroke. He has a good out look on life. I posted somewhere on here thier Tibetian book of the dead translation to be use with ego death size doses of psychedelics,,which I plan to reread a few more time and tape record so that I can try it out and see the clear light hopefully on the first Bardol and not the third. First I need to find some good acid which isn't very avalible these days. I might even rent a little cabin some where out in the woods when I do it.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Jeeze man, you don't need acid to discover what you really and truly are.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

JT,

I think that sometimes I can almost grasp it. I know sitting quietly and watching my thoughts gives me little glimpses but just don't get it,,sometimes i feel really close. I think meditation is to slow a process,,psychedelics seem to bring me the closest to grasping it,,but not profoundly yet. I'm not the type that can stop all thoughts and trancsend.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

You think too much.

When you are sitting, just be kind and oh so gentle with what ever anxiety comes up. Remember friend, what ever seems to be the problem, is really the doorway, if we can just be very present with it.

j

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I feel the same way sometimes. Im always overthinking EVERYTHING.

JT, have you ever tried acid? If so, what did you think?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I'm of the opinion that there are no shortcuts to reality, and that drugs just circumvent natural processes. They seem to offer a faster route, but in the long-term do the opposite. Just my humble opinion.

I mean that in a totally non-judgemental way.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Since drugs can effect your thinking, this proves your mental and emotional state is dependant on your chemical balance in the brain. But this brings up the question of what controls this process of chemical balance? Does what you think about or expierence in life effect this balance, or is it what you eat? Does physical or mental exercise change this?

You can see why my wife is getting me a T-Shirt that says, WHY?

I ask too many questions since I have too much time to think.

Too much thinking just confuses us more, I think I will go out in my back yard and watch the birds.

Ken P.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

:I'm of the opinion that there are no shortcuts to reality, and that drugs just circumvent natural processes. They seem to offer a faster route, but in the long-term do the opposite. Just my humble opinion.

A good point. I've read tons of stuff on the internet about drugs and hardcore experiences, its just seems kind of cool but I don't see myself getting into it much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit