higher education

by tigerlily 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• troubled
    troubled

Hi Tigerlily,

I too am going to college. At age 37, I have about 2 years in so far. Now that the Society has softened their view on college somewhat, I see lots of Witnesses going (both young ones and older ones).

I've not had anyone say negative things to me about going (at least not to my face). What disturbs me, though, is that when the Society strongly discouraged JWs from going to college, hardly anyone went. (And those that did were somewhat frowned on. I know personally of a JW family where each child (5 of them) went to college. It was looked down on at the time, and I remember people talking disapprovingly behind their backs. Now, they are all either elders, COs, pioneers, or serving at Bethel. And everyone thinks they're great.)

What's disturbing to me is that, in matters where there are scriptural principles (seek the Kingdom first;avoid worldly thinking), we look to the Society to give us SPECIFIC rules, and then we do what they say. In other words, can we go to college or not? And depending on the answer, we do that.

It makes it look like we are following men, I think.

• rudyskid
    rudyskid

JW's go to Doctors and Dentists. They buy Medicine from the Pharmacists. They send their children to school who are instructed by Teachers. I imagine some JW’s may indulge themselves by purchasing a DVD, Computer or Digital Camera. . They may even use a GPS or a Cell phone or even take advantage of cosmetic surgery or hair transplants. I also imagine a JW would not go to an uneducated Doctor or Dentist or send their child to school to be taught by an illiterate. I doubt they would get a hair transplant or cosmetic surgery from someone with a GED, nor would they have the opportunity to use the latest and greatest technology if it weren’t for higher learning. So besides keeping the sheep, sheep, who are they kidding?

• uriah
    uriah

Much sense has been spoken. I did not stay at school because of the Big A coming in 1975. I have no quals but have taught myself. I encouraged my 3 children - all left home now - to get qualified. The meetings and door knocking will not put bread on the table or clothes on your back nor a roof over your head. I think with sadness about missed opportunies that I allowed to pass me by. i am not bitter just sad. There are many who gave up everthing because they thought A was coming - even got a mention in th WT - in 1975, sold their houses etc. What happened to them? That was 25 years plus ago. Stay in school, get qualified then reach for your goal. After all, if your goal is to change a light bulb, you need steps to reach it. You need money to buy the steps. You need a job to get the money. You need quals to get the job. You have to go to school to get the quals. - All to change a light bulb. the people who look down on you are jealous and frightened. They have been conditioned - 4 legs good 2 legs bad syndrome (animal farm by Goerge Orwell). They secretly want what you want but can't have it so don't want you to have it either - dog in the manger syndrome. Hope all these posts have helped.

• wondering alot
    wondering alot

Hi Tigerlily.
    Welcome to the family. We fight sometimes too.
    I went to college before I was JW'd, so I can't help you from my personal experience.
    I'm not fond of this country's educational system. It's run like a business and the richer you are, the easier it is to partake. Many of the Profs can be egotistical asses and you can't fight 'em. My advice is to study something that will get you a job. Just to pay back your loans. If you don't have any, have some fun, also. That may be your last chance until you get in the real world.
    Probably, the Jw's that are giving you a hard time are jealous of you and fearful. You might learn something they are not able to. If it is not in the WTBTS's pubs then it doesn't exist.

Come back soon, ya hear?

• battman
    battman

Uriah said:
    "the people who look down on you are jealous and
    frightened. They have been conditioned - 4 legs good 2 legs bad syndrome (animal farm
    by Goerge Orwell). They secretly want what you want but can't have it so don't want
    you to have it either - dog in the manger syndrome. "

just what i was about to write. Also, with the advent of the net and
    subsequent "dumbing down" of the remaining loyal R&F i would think
    that the jealousy and fear will continue esp. in rural cong. I live in a
    major metro area and going to college is hardly frowned on at all. Esp.
    if you can master the "double speak" , "wink-wink" style of communication.
    Say one thing when you really mean another. ie: i am just going to trade
    school to learn trade, just so happens it is nuclear eng or brain surgery. lol

the dubs are so willing to take advantage of all society offers today, which
    is a direct product of our very advanced educational system. Just like the
    blood issue and charity. Take, take, take but do not contribute one iota!!

Like where does all the "acceptable" blood fractions come from just to treat
    the JW hemophelliac (sp?) population. Thousands and thousands of
    donations are needed each year. what a bunch of oneseys.

makes me blood boil.

battman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit