Did I do the right thing?

by dmouse 13 Replies latest jw friends

• dmouse
    dmouse

My wife is still a loyal Dub, and I allow her to take my son (13 years) and daughters (9 & 11) to the meetings, assemblies and on the service. I cannot talk to her about her beliefs because, well, she refuses to talk about them. She knows that I no longer believe, but not much in the way of detail. Anyway, my son has been invited to take part in a service meeting part tomorrow. I had a quick look at the information, about choosing a suitable career. It is the middle part of a three-week symposium and the information is basically a big downer on further education. My son is very bright and I anticipate him going to university when he is old enough. Then comes this crap – don’t go to university become a pioneer instead, if you don’t then you are spiritually weak. I’m afraid I lost it then, and have forbidden my son to take part in this irresponsible nonsense. Have I done the right thing? Will I alienate him by my actions?
    I feel so strongly about this issue that I could not just sit by and let my son be polluted even further by this BS.

Dean.

• crossroads
    crossroads

YES you have done the right thing. In fact you need to
    write a letter to the congragation stating you forbid all
    your children to attend the meetings. My brother has
    done this and even copied an elder in his old congragation.
    They have not come after him. You are the HEAD of the
    house that great sword(the bible) cuts both ways.
    So let it be written so let it be done.

• Maximus
    Maximus

Even if you should alienate him now, see that he gets educated.

Trust me, he will be eternally grateful to you in the future.

I know.

Maximus

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

Last I heard the dubs weren't "forcing" anyone to attend meetings. A letter to the elders will do nothing more than mark you as a psycho.
    If your wife takes your kids to the halls that would be between you and your wife. The congergation would naturally help your wife out becuase they believe that instruction from God is superior to the demands of a husband. Do like most unbelieving mates do..watch rated R movies, Skinamax is always nice, and buy them Christmas presents.

• outnfree
    outnfree

Dear Dean,

Well, you MAY have alienated him for a little while, but he may just as well be secretly relieved.

When the dust settles a bit more, perhaps you can have a calm, heart-to-heart talk to him about other Witnesses you've known (or read about) who struggled in their later years because they never planned on Armageddon taking so long to get here. (Jehovah is SO patient. ) How a University education is necessary in today's world just to keep afloat, etc., and that being financially sound is NOT a sin.

Then assure him of your love, give him a hug, and tell him you look forward to helping him decide upon his high school curriculum.

You may wish to smoothe things over with your wife, too, by making the point that while she wishes to assure the very best for your children by giving them the tools they need to be successful spiritually, you also want to assure that they do not needlessly struggle materially as they make their way through life in this world.

Remember, LOVE is the motivating factor.

Hope it all works out.

outnfree

• joelbear
    joelbear

A 13 year old is old enough to make his own decisions. I would sit down with him and tell him about your dreams for him and your confidence in him and how much you want for him out of life, including an education.

But, at 13, he should be allowed to decide for himself whether he should take part in the part.

Have you asked him how he feels about the subject matter?

hugs

Joel

• Latte
    Latte

dmouse,

I would say for sure that you did the right thing. .

I am in the UK. e-mail me if you like. This education business,is very regretable.

Latte

• dmouse
    dmouse

Thanks, everyone, for your input. It is very encouraging. Sometimes when we make a stand we feel all alone but then a quick post here shows that we are never alone in standing up to the Borg. That’s what gives some of those who have left the strength to continue, and again highlights the value of boards like this.

The elder was due to come round tonight to prepare the part with my son. After I said that I would not allow him to take part in it my wife rang the PO who rang the elder to tell him not to come round. I was quite prepared to stand my ground with either of them and explain why I object to this discouraging of further education. My wife and son seem ok now but I wonder if there will be any repercussions from the elders; they might see me as a threat to my family’s ‘spiritual’ well being.

• crossroads
    crossroads

dmouse---glad all is going well---remember your the
    head of the house according to witness beliefs-use it.

joelbear----your usally right on, not here my friend.
    Do you have a 13 year old have you had one?
    I'm not handing mine over to Charlie, David, Freddie,
    or any other "WAKO" out there without a fight.
    I wouldn't want to see them "BURNED" would you.

• chappy
    chappy

Children have a real sense of "truth" as long as they are allowed access to ALL the data. Let them be exposed to WT meetings but make certain they have absolute freedom to see information that the borg attempts to keep from the rank and file. They could send a strong message to your spouse and the elders if they determine, on their own, the lies and misinformation comming from the WTS. By forbidding them to attend/participate, the witnesses make you the bad guy. To me, there's nothing more satisfying than children, based on their own INFORMED ability to understand, making mince-meat of their lies and propaganda.

"Out of the mouths of babes"

later,
    chappy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit