What was actually printed about 1925?

by confusedjw 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I've seen folks reference 1925 concerning "End of the World" claims from the WT similar to 1975.

I've read quotes from the WT about "the 1925 date is even more fixed in the bible than 1914"

but what did they really say was going to happen? Something about Moses was said I think.

Can anyone with references post them? THANKS!

• gumby
    gumby

Ever heard of the pamphlet...."Millions now living will never die"

Gumby

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

The "embed page" function doesn't seem to be working for me, so I'll try just posting the link:

http://quotes.watchtower.ca/1925.htm

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

The following is the text of a document I have on file dated 11/19/95. I have no idea as to the source, though it must have come from online somewhere. So if someone on this forum wrote it, I extend my apologies for not giving credit.

PROPHECY, 1925 & 1975 - A COMPARISON

A BRIEF ANALYSIS OF WHAT THE WATCH TOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF PENNSYLVANIA TAUGHT ABOUT THE YEAR 1925.

Watch Tower prophecies regarding 1873/4, 1914, 1918 /9 had already failed.The sights were shifting to 1925. By this time, the WTBTS now teaches, Christ had 'inspected' them, liked what he saw, and rewarded them with more privileges - they were appointed as God's sole organisation on earth and responsible for giving out the 'food in due season' : Some examples regarding 1925:

Studies In The Scriptures, Vol 7, The Finished Mystery, from page 128:

'No doubt Satan believed the Millennial Kingdom was due to be set-up in 1915...Be that as it may, there is evidence that the establishment of the Kingdom in Palestine will probably be in 1925, ten years later than we once calculated.'

Millions Now Living Will Never Die, published in 1920, from page 88 :

'...we may expect 1925 to witness the return of these faithful men of Israel from the condition of death, being resurrected'

Millions Now Living Will Never Die, from page 89-90 :

'Therefore we may confidently expect that 1925 will mark the return of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and the faithful prophets of old'

Millions Now Living Will Never Die, from page 97 :

'...1925 will mark the resurrection of the faithful worthies of old'

Watchtower, Oct. 15, 1917, from page 6157 :

'There will be no slip-up...Abraham should enter upon the actual possession of his promised inheritance in the year 1925'

Watchtower, July 15, 1922, from page 217 :

'This chronology is not of man but of God...of divine origin...absolutely and unqualifiedly correct.'

Watchtower, Sept. 01, 1922, from page 262 :

'1914 ended the Gentile Times...The date 1925 is even more distinctly indicated by the Scriptures...by then the great crisis will be reached and probably passed'

Watchtower, April 01, 1923, from page 106 :

'1925 is definitely settled by the Scriptures...the Christian has much more upon which to base his faith than Noah had (so far as the Scriptures reveal) upon which to base his faith in the coming deluge' Watchtower, July 15, 1924, from page 211 :

'The year 1925 is a date definitely and clearly marked in the Scriptures, even more clearly than that of 1914.'

BUT WHEN 1925 ARRIVED:

Watchtower, Jan. 01, 1925, from page 3 :

'The year 1925 is here. With great expectations Christians have looked forward to this year. many have confidently expected that all members of the body of Christ will be changed to heavenly glory during the year. This may be accomplished. It may not be.'

Note - Back in 1923 the Watch Tower was telling it's followers that they should have more faith in 1925 that Noah had had in the flood. Now they seem to be backtracking. Suggestions to extend one's home, in readiness for the return of loved ones, were made in the publication The Way to Paradise (1924 Pages 228). It suggested that in 1926 it would be possible to phone Abraham in Jerusalem, and arrange the return of ones parents to the new extension (page 229) It was aimed at younger ones and it also said:

'Current news informs us that attention is already being centred on Palestine and thousands of Jews are trying to return there..... No doubt many boys and girls who read this will live to see Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Daniel and those other faithful men of old come forth in the glory of their 'better resurrection', perfect in mind and body '

[ a boy or girl of 10 would be 82 now]

'They may have some amusing experiences at first; for they never saw telephones, radios, automobiles, electric lights, aeroplanes and steam engines... What a privilege to be living just at this time and to see the ending of the old and the coming of the new. Of all the times in earth's history, today is the most wonderful! ....The princes can easily radio their instructions to any part of the world. Think of Prince Abraham having some general instruction to give calling'Attention'; and all people every where listening...'

Years later the year 1925 was discussed:

1975 Yearbook, from page 146 :

'The year 1925 came and went. Jesus' anointed followers were still on earth as a class. The faithful men of old time - Abraham, David and others - had not been resurrected to become princes in the earth. (Ps. 45:16) So, as Anna MacDonald recalls: '1925 was a sad year for many brothers. Some of them were stumbled; their hopes were dashed...Instead of it's being considered a 'probability,' they read into it that it was a 'certainty.' and some prepared for their loved ones with expectations of their resurrection.'

That is an interesting rewrite of history. Everything is changed around to place the blame for the error on the followers. Had Anna forgotten that it was the Watch Tower through it's publications which had promoted the events to occur in 1925. The predictions were stated with words of strong certainty. Being loyal followers of the Watch Tower, Jehovah's Witnesses are told not to question whatever is stated by the publications. (ie - the leaders or publishers)However, prophecies for 1925 and the return of the 'ancient worthies' mentioned in Hebrews were first moved up to 1932, and expectation actually continued for some 20 years (until 1950) Under the second president Joseph (Judge) Rutherford, the architect of the 1925 beliefs a actual house was built in 1929 for these men of old to live in when they returned.

Strong predictions to the effect that Israel and the Jews would be restored to Jerusalem were dropped and it was decided that the resurrected 'men of old' would want to live in California, America (as, it seems, did Rutherford) The house was in San Diego and was called Beth Sarim (House of Princes). Although the deeds stated that 'it was to be held in trust for these ancient worthies - for ever', Rutherford himself lived in it until he died in 1942 and it was sold a few years after his death.Salvation (1939) Page 311:

'At San Deigo, California, there is a small piece of land, on which, in the year 1929 there was built a house, which is called and known as Beth Sarim. The Hebrew words Beth Sarim mean 'House of the Princes'; and the purpose of acquiring that property and building the house was that there are those on earth today who fully believe in God and Christ Jesus and in His Kingdom, and who believe that the faithful men of old will soon be resurrected by the Lord, be back on earth, and take charge of the visible affairs of earth. The title to Beth Sarim is vested in the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society in trust, to be used by the president of the Society and his assistants for the present, and thereafter to be forever at the disposal of the aforementioned princes on the earth.... It stands there as a testimony to Jehovah's name; and when the princes do return, and some of them occupy the property, such will be a confirmation of the faith and hope that induced the building of Beth Sarim.'

The actual deed of the house was published in Golden Age, 19 March, 1930 Pages 406 - 407

Time Magazine 31/3/30 said:

'Judge Joseph Frederick Rutherford 60, lives in a ten room Spanish mansion, No 4440 Braeburn Rd, San Diego, Calif. Last week he deeded No 4440 Braeburn Road, and adjacent two car garage and a pair of automobiles to King David, Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthae, Samuel and sundry other mighties of ancient Palestine. Positive is he that they are shortly to reappear on earth, Said he: 'I have purposely landscaped the place with palm and olive trees so that these princes of the universe will feel at home..'Warming to the theme, The San Deigo Sun of 9/1/31:

'A gaunt unshaven tramp has been the lone claimant for the $75,000 Southern Californian mansion of David, king of Israel, since it was deeded to the Biblical character a year ago.This was revealed today by Judge James Rutherford, temporary owner of the luxuriantly furnished Spanish type mansion at 440 Braeburn Rd in the exclusive Kensington Heights district.In one of the oddest deeds ever recorded, Rutherford, president of the International Bible Students Association and the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society, has placed in trust the magnificent estate for ancient kings and prophets of IsraelThe slayer of Goliath and his companions may occupy the 10 room modern home with it's landscaped gardens and patio as soon as their credentials are approved by Rutherford and officials of his societies, divinely authorised to recognise them.One morning as I was going from the house to the garage, a queer looking creature approached me, tipped his dirty hat and cried 'Howdy Judge, I'm David' 'Go and tell that to the winds', I told him and he left without arguing the matter. I could see at a glance that he was not David. He didn't look like I knew David would look.'Asked how he expected David and his distinguished brethren to look, Rutherford, without hesitation, opened his huge Bible and pointed to a verse which said that the Princes of the Universe would be risen from the dead 'as perfect men'.'I interpret that to mean', the tall dignified Judge declared, 'that David, Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jepthae, Joseph and Samuel will be sent here to wrench the world from Satan's grasp, clothed in modern garb as we are, and able, with little effort, to speak our tongue.' Rutherford pictured the arrival of the biblical delegation perhaps in frock coats, high hats, canes and spats. At Beth Sarim (House of Princes) as Rutherford has named his mansion, David will find the most modern appliances that science has devised.When the distinguished guests walk up the circular stairway to the second floor, they will find a large office with red leather chairs and shiny flat topped desk with inverted lighting. Even French telephones await the touch of the princes. Opening a wide door, the native sons of Palestine will behold a large bathroom, resplendent in shiny black tile with needle shower and an amply filled medicine chest.What a thrill giant shouldered Samson, who wrecked a palace with his bare fists might find in the gold safety razor and strop!Rutherford built the second floor bedroom, which he temporarily occupies, large in order to accommodate several of the expected owners. With wide pane windows that look out on the purple Cuyamacas to the East and California's first mission to the north, the bedroom is almost severe in it's furnishings.The rulers of the universe will have simple tastes, the judge apparently believes, although the austere end tables sported gaily covered fiction magazines.Rutherford has imported some Koniach, Wasser from Cologne, Germany to freshen the princely faces after shaving. A black skull cap hangs over one of the bedposts.The coming of David and his companions will be the greatest news story of the ages, Rutherford predicted. 'I am not a publicity seeker,' Rutherford said with a twinkle in his kindly brown eyes, 'but I feel that the world should know about their arrival. It will be a great news story.'Word of his 'House of king David' has reached into every corner of the world, the judge stated. 'Everywhere I went people asked me about this place,' Rutherford said. 'In Chicago a millionaire manufacturer offered to build another house for David, but I declined the offer. 'Literally thousands have driven here to see this place,' Rutherford continued. 'Many have come to the door and my secretary has shown them about the place.'The patio with it's silver pool and olive and palm trees is gay with flowers. Down toward the canyon, paths have been landscaped to allow David and his friends to walk in meditation. Many of the fruits and trees, native to their Palestine, will greet the rulers when they arrive.In the two car garage next door stands a new, yellow 16 cylinder coupe which will be turned over to the rulers along with all the personal property on the place.'Everything will be theirs, the house, the land, the furnishings and even the clothes if they need them,' Judge Rutherford said. 'What will I do? Oh, don't worry about me. I'll manage somehow.' the judge smiled. He had another 'Watch Tower' residence on Staten Island and practically an entire floor at Bethel -[ see Moyle v. Franz et al 5/10 - 5/27, 1943 N.Y Supreme Court}]The seven famous men will not have long to rest at their San Deigo estate because they soon will lead the forces of the Lord to vanquish the minions of Satan at the battle of Armageddon, Rutherford believed. 'But they will win out. The Lord will punish the devil and will show that the preachers and the politicians have been giving the people false counsel,' Rutherford said confidently. Rutherford will sail May 9 for Europe where he will speak before conventions in Berlin Paris and London.'Consolation, 27/5/42 on page 13 (13 years later)

'Further proof that these princes will shortly take office on earth as perfect men is found in the prophecy of Daniel (Dan 12:13 quoted) Daniel's lot is that of these princes. Proof is now submitted that we are living at 'the end of the days ' and we may expect to see Daniel and the other mentioned princes any day now!'Interestingly, years later, the 1975 Yearbook on page 194 mentioned the San Deigo residence, saying:

'In time, a direct contribution was made for the purpose of constructing a house in San Deigo for brother Rutherfords use.. Concerning this property the 1939 book Salvation stated: 'At San Diego, California, there is a small piece of land, on which, in the year 1929, there was built a house, which is called and known as Beth Sarim.' [ the rest of the original 'Salvation' article is not quoted]That statement therefore, quite clearly, is a half truth - a cover up. Selective history is not really history at all. The 1993 'history' book - Jehovahs Witnessses - Proclaimers of God's Kingdom, also fails to throw much more light on that major episode in their history - It is left to a small footnote on page 76. The press had had a 'field day', and it all reflected badly on God's Word, the claimed source for these Watchtower prophecies.

So were the leaders of the WBTS prophesying? The definition of prophecy is quite simple - foretelling what the future holds. They (the leaders of the society) have actually answered themselves on many occasions:Watchtower 1/4/1972:

''So, does Jehovah have a prophet to help them, to warn them of dangers and to declare things to come ? These questions can be answered in the affirmative. Who is the prophet? ... This 'prophet' was not one man, but was a body of men and women. It was the small group of footstep followers of Jesus Christ, known at the time as International Bible Students. Today they are know as Jehovah's Christian Witnesses'.'Of course the 'return of the Princes' predictions had to eventually be dropped. In 1950 Fred Franz, speaking at a large U.S. convention, announced that the 'Princes' were now present - at the convention! At last! Unfortunately, the wave of excitement soon subsided when he explained that 'Princes' were now to be viewed as the 'congregation overseers' Either Franz had a wicked sense of humour, or it was a strange way for God to deal with his sole organisation on earth.

Jehovah's Witnesses and 1975

Anyway, were the lessons of 1925 learnt by the leader(s) of the Society, the publishers of all these books and magazines?

Vindication, vol 1 (1931), p 338-339 :

'There was a measure of disappointment on the part of Jehovah's faithful ones on earth concerning the years 1914, 1918 and 1925....they also learned to quit fixing dates for the future and predicting what would come to pass on a certain date....' [ had they? ]

Skipping past predictions for 1941 (the war would develop into Armageddon...... or ' the remaining months before Armageddon' - (see Consolation 29/10/41) and moving on to the year 1975 , and the WTBTS prophecies and predictions about that time. What do we find? The end of Rutherford's presidency had seen the moving of the interpretation of the beginning of the 'last days' from 1799 up to 1914 .

In 1943 the book 'The Truth Shall Make You Free' was published. This book moved the date for the second advent, or coming / presence, of Christ from 1874 up to 1914. Originally 1914 had been the date for the END of the wicked system and all the churches etc. Also, effectively, the end of 6000 years of mankind's existence was moved up from 1874 to the mid 1970s (1975) as later highlighted in the book Life Everlasting - in Freedom of the Sons of God published in 1966. Bold claims then started to be made, although not quite so dogmatic, if in print.Awake! 8/10/1966, p 19:

'In what year, then, would the first 6,000 years of man's existence and also the first 6,000 years of God's rest day come to an end? The year 1975.'

Watchtower 15/10/1966, p 629:

'Discussion of 1975 overshadowed about everything else. 'The new book compels us to realise that Armageddon is, in fact, very close indeed,' said a conventioneer.' Life Everlasting - In Freedom of The Sons of God, 1966, p 29 - 30:

'How appropriate it would be for Jehovah God to make this coming seventh period of 1000 years a Sabbath period of rest and release..... It would also be most fitting on God's part, for, remember, for mankind has ahead of it what the last book of the Bible speaks of as the reign of Jesus Christ over earth for a thousand years, the millennial reign of Christ... 'According to this trustworthy Bible chronology six thousand years from man's creation will end in 1975, and the seventh period of a thousand years of human history will begin in the fall on 1975 C.E..' 'It would not be by mere chance or accident but would be according to the loving purpose of Jehovah God if the reign of Jesus Christ, the 'Lord of the Sabbath,' was to run parallel with the seventh millennium of man's existence.'

Surely, it is a foolish man who decides what is 'fitting' or 'appropriate' for God, especially in view of Jesus' cautions.Watchtower, 1/5/1967, p 262:

'Just think, 1975 marks the end of 6,000 years of human experience.....Will it be the time when God executes the wicked?....It very well could be, but we will have to wait to see.'

Watchtower 1/5/68

'The immediate future is certain to be filled with climatic events, for this old system is nearing its complete end. Within a few years at most the final parts of Bible prophecy relative to these last days will undergo fulfilment resulting in the liberation of surviving mankind into Christ's glorious 1000 year reign!'

Watchtower, 15/8/1968, P 494:

Article heading - 'WHY ARE YOU LOOKING FORWARD TO 1975?'

'ADAM CREATED AT CLOSE OF 'SIXTH DAY' Are we to assume from this study that the battle of Armageddon will be all over by the autumn of 1975, and the long-looked-for thousand-year reign of Christ will begin by then ? Possibly, but we wait to see how closely the seventh thousand-year period of man's existence coincides with the sabbathlike thousand-year reign of Christ....It may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years.' (P 499) Kingdom Ministry, 03/1968, P 4:

'...there are only about ninety months left before 6,000 years of man's existence on earth is completed....The majority of people living today will probably be alive when Armageddon breaks out...'

Watchtower 1/5/68, Page 271

'Eight years from the Autumn of 1967 would bring us to the Autumn of 1975, fully 6,000 years into God's seventh day, his rest day.' [compare with WT 1/10/75 below]Kingdom Ministry, 06/1969, p 3:

'In view of the short time left, a decision to pursue a career in this system of things is not only unwise but extremely dangerous.....Many young brother and sisters were offered scholarships or employment that promised fine pay. However, they turned them down and put spiritual interests first.' [This advice remains current]Kingdom Ministry, 05/1974, p 3:

'Yes, the end of this system is so very near! Is that no reason to increase our activity?....Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system of things in the pioneer service. Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world's end.'

Watchtower, 1/7/1974, p 397:

'It also tells us that this millennium must be preceded immediately by the most destructive war in all human history. We can now see the political rulers...being gathered...for that War of all wars....'

Even stronger statements were made about 1975 at various conventions. Witnesses around at that time will remember, even though the episode is only given a passing reference these days, and many seem to have developed 'selective amnesia'. The Society fo und all kinds of external secular 'support' for 1975 and the view was advanced that the world couldn't possibly continue for much longer. See for instance The Truth that Leads to Eternal Life (1968 edition) On page 88 it quotes a book called Famine 1975 which was also quoted extensively in much other Society literature. Interestingly, the references to this book were quietly dropped from later editions of the Truth book. A 'six month maximum' Bible study program was started after the Truth book was published, because of the 'nearness of the end'Autumn 1975 arrives

Watchtower 1/10/75, Page 579 [compare with WT 1/5/68 above]Does this mean, then, that mankind has now reached 6,000 years into the 7,000 year period that God blessed and made sacred as his rest day? ... No, It does not mean that. [it did in 1968]Too late - Advice had been heeded - mortgages were closed, insurance policies cashed, medical insurance lapsed, treatment put off, and educational opportunities turned down. 1975 is now 20 years ago. The WTBTS (claiming to be a prophet) had stated that 'it may involve only a difference of weeks or months, NOT YEARS'. Whilst claiming to be GOD's Prophet they had stated that after the 6,000 years and before the Millennium, the earth will experience Armageddon. Well, the 6,000 years ended and The Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania had yet another failed prophecy on it's hands. So what did they say in 1976?:

Watchtower, 15/7/76, Pages 440 - 441. A humble apology from the leaders? Not a bit.'It may be that some who have been serving God have planned their lives according to a mistaken view of just what was to happen on a certain date or in a certain year. They may have put off or neglected things that they would otherwise have cared for.. . But they have missed the point of the Bible's warning.....But it is not advisable for us to set our sights on a certain date, neglecting everyday things we would ordinarily care for as Christians, such things that we and our family really need... If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises.' So there we have it! It was the individual followers fault again - just like in 1925!

The society's latest [1993] 'History' book - Jehovah's Witnesses, Ploclaimers of God's Kingdom (mentioned earlier), despite designating pages and pages to building and printing expansions, virtually ignores the 1975 saga. At the end of the book there is a chronological section called 'Notable Dates'. The predictions for 1925 and 1975 don't even get a mention!

Now let's remind ourselves of the Bible. Deuteronomy 18:20-22:

'However, the prophet who presumes to speak in my name a word that I have not commanded him to speak or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet must die. And in case you should say in your heart: 'How shall we know the word that Jehovah has spoken ?' When the prophet speaks in the name of Jehovah and the word does not occur or come true, that is the word that Jehovah did not speak. With presumptuousness the prophet spoke it...'

So what has The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society ITSELF said about False Prophets in the past?Prophecy (1929), p 22 :

'If these prophesies have not been fulfilled, and if all possibility of fulfilment is past, then these prophets are proven false.'

Vindication, vol 1 (1931), p 146 :

'God's faithful people on earth emphasised the importance of the dates 1914 and 1918 and 1925. They had much to say about these dates and what would come to pass, but all they predicted did not come to pass.'

Paradise Restored to Mankind -- by Theocracy (1972), p 353 - 354 :

'Jehovah... will put all false prophets to shame either by not fulfilling the false prediction of such self-assuming prophets or by having His own prophesies fulfilled in a way opposite to that predicted by false prophets.'

Awake! 10/08/1968, p 23 :

'True, there have been those in times past who predicted an 'end to the world', even announcing a specific date....The 'end' did not come. They were guilty of false prophesying.... Missing from such people were God's truths and the evidence that he was guiding them and using them.'

Watchtower 06/15/1974, p 381 :

'Similarly, the 'false prophet' is not a person, but is a system or an organisation.'

Watchtower 01/15/1959, p 40, 41:

'Whom has God actually used as his prophet ? By the historical facts of the case Christendom is beaten back in defeat. Jehovah's witnesses are deeply grateful today that the plain facts show that God has been pleased to use them.'

Also, during the late 1970s and throughout 1980, each issue of The Watchtower cover featured this statement :'A Watchtower enables a person to look far into the distance and announce to others what is seen. Likewise, this magazine, published by Jehovah's Witnesses, aids the reader to see what the future holds'.

Now, as we know, by definition one who tells what the future holds is, of course, a prophet.Watchtower 1/4/1972:

'So, does Jehovah have a prophet to help them, to warn them of dangers and to declare things to come ? These questions can be answered in the affirmative. Who is the prophet? ... This 'prophet' was not one man, but was a body of men and women. It was the small group of footstep followers of Jesus Christ, known at the time as International Bible Students. Today they are known as Jehovah's Christian Witnesses'.1939 Yearbook of Jehovah's Witnesses, P 85:

'It should be expected that the Lord would have a means of communicating to his people on the earth, and he has clearly shown that the magazine called The Watchtower is used for that purpose.'

Awake! 8/6/1986 pg 9:

'You will be interested to learn that God has on earth a people, all of whom are prophets, or witnesses for God. In fact they are known throughout the world as Jehovah's Witnesses.'

So the Watchtower Society has constantly claimed ' prophet' status in their relatively short history, yet using the Biblical test for False Prophets and even using the Watchtower's own material about False Prophets, it is clear that the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society leaders have made prophecies which have failed. They have actually called themselves 'God's Prophet', yet their prophesies have turned out to be FALSE. Why does the 1995 Awake! fail to mention any of this. Why does it not conclude that since the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society has had so many failed prophecies, they can't be prophesying by GOD's direction, nor through GOD's Holy Spirit, nor by GOD's Angels. Why do they instead attempt to shift the blame onto the eagerness of the followers? Is it so that they can retain their mystical 'God's Prophet' status for future predictions or changes? It must also be remembered that the WTBTS is HIGHLY CRITICAL of any and all other religion, and teaches that ALL other religion is false and is from Satan. So what about the past Presidents of the society? They held ultimate responsibility for what was published and taught. >New York King's County Clerk's Court Record, 1940, vol. II, p 795,

Fred W. Franz on the witness stand:

Q. Who subsequently became the Editor of the magazine, the main editor of the 'Watch Tower' magazine ?A. In 1931, October 15th, as I recall, the 'Watch Tower' discontinued publishing the names of any editorial committee on the second page.COURT: He asked you who became the editor.WITNESS: And it said --COURT: Who became the editor ?Q. Who became the editor when this was discontinued ?A. Jehovah God.'

Olin R. Moyle, v F.W.Franz, et al. Libel suit testimony, May 10th to May<BR>27th, 1943, New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division:

Fred W. Franz on the witness stand, sections 2596; 2597

Q. At any rate, Jehovah God is now the editor of the paper, is that right ?A He is today the editor of the paper.Q. How long has he been editor of the paper ?A. Since its inception he has been guiding it.Q. Even before 1931 ?A. Yes, sir.'

Nathan Homer Knorr (then President) on the witness stand, at the same Olin Moyle trial, sections 4420; 4421 :

Q. But you don't make any mention in the fore part of your Watch Tower that 'We are not infallible and subject to correction and may make mistakes' ?A. We have never claimed infallibility.Q. But you don't make any such statement, that you are subject to correction, in your Watch Tower papers do you ?A. Not that I recall.Q. In fact, it is set forth directly as God's Word, isn't it ?A. Yes, as His Word.Q. Without any qualification whatsoever ?A. That is right.'.

Fred W. Franz later became the President of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. So, according to two Presidents, we see the claim that Jehovah God is the editor of the Watch Tower. IN CONCLUSION

The only conclusion can be that the leaders of the Watchtower Society are seeking to deceive it's followers.

The Watchtower of July 1st, 1973, page 402, claims,

'Consider too, the fact that Jehovah's organization alone in all the earth is directed by God's holy spirit or active force.'

But obviously GOD does not prompt these false prophecies! So exactly how, or when, does he do this 'directing' of His only organization? Is the Holy Spirit being turned on and off? Questions for the leaders!

The Bible give us a simple test for prophets, which we considered at the beginning of this study, namely that their predictions will fail. The definition of prophecy is quite clear. It is foretelling something that will happen in the future. False prophecy, according to God's word, is when that which is foretold, fails to come to pass, rendering that false prophet liable to death. It is a very serious matter, especially if such 'prophecy' is claimed to be based on God's Word - the Bible.Words such as 'prophecy, prediction, eagerness, caution and erroneous view' can be played around with as much as the leaders like. But it does not alter Gods Word. The 1995 Awake! rightly says that 'God's promises will not fail - it is often men's promises and prophecies that fail'. But the Awake! fails to extend the argument through to it's logical and undeniable conclusion - that the men calling themselves the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society, who, according to their own heady claim, are the sole ones 'entrusted with feeding Gods people with food in due season, ' fully meet the criteria (as set forth in the Bible) for false prophets. What would be The Watchtower's view if the 1925 or 1975 prophecies has been made by another religion? I am sure that they would be 'ridiculing' and 'raking it all over' on a regular basis (..more evidence proving they are from Babylon the Great etc...) and absolutely no reluctance to make the obvious connection to Deut 18:20-22 etc.Any individual, or organisation that tells people not to listen to, or read, anything critical of him or the organisation, must be viewed with great suspicion. There can be no justification whatsoever for such a 'rule'. Why is information being restricted in this way? The only possible reason is that something needs covering up or cannot be satisfactorily explained. Ridicule the questioner by all means, if that's what you want to do, - but not before you've dealt with (and proved wrong) his allegations.Real TRUTH does not change and can take any amount of probing - that is what makes it the truth! On the other hand, false allegations, lies or even maybe just opinions, can be proved to be just that. Acceptance or rejection can then be based on the evidence, and persons can make up their own mind, surely that is why God has given them the power of reason. (1 Thes 5:21)

Ezekiel, chapter 13, verses 8, 9. The New Jerusalem Bible:

'Very well, the Lord Yahweh says this: Because of your futile words and false predictions, I am now against you - declares Lord Yahweh. My hand will be against the prophets who have futile visions and give false predictions.'The evidence is plain and in abundance for anyone who wants to look. So why and how is it all accepted? The blame rests not with the individual Witness. He or she is being misled. The true state of affairs is hidden from him. The member witnesses' supply of information is strictly (and unreasonably) controlled. The means to make any critical analysis is effectively denied him or her. But 'how it's done' is a subject on it's own. The effect is: He (or she) must simply follow the organisation. The organisation tells him to. If he wants to please God and live forever. Alternatively he will die. The organisation tells him that God has a single organisation and this is it. The organisation tells him how God want's him to act, think, and what to do. The organisation tells him that this is the only way he can be happy. The organisation tells him that they alone are prophetic, chosen, able to understand the Bible. The organisation tells him about their glorious history and the proof of God's blessing. The organisation picks the selective bits of 'proof' it wants to give him in support of these claims. The organisation tells him not to make friends outside the organisation. The organisation tells him not to read or consider anything contrary to the organisations views and interpretations. The organisation tells him that that would be from Satan. And Satan is out to get him . The organisation can change those views though. And back again if they want to. The organisation tells him that if he holds contrary views he must keep quiet, leave or be disfellowshipped. The organisation then tells everyone else, including his family, not to even talk to him - to hate him. The thought of that scares him. Friends - his entire social circle - are all conditional. The organisation controls him. The organisation has a lot to answer for. And in time it will have to.

WTBTS said,[ of others]

"If after making an honest investigation, you are less than pleased with what you see, do more than just complain. A journalist, commenting on Karl Barth's statement that a church IS it's members, logically concluded: 'Church members are responsible for what the church says and does.' So ask yourself: Am I willing to share responsibility for everything my church says and does? You may sincerely believe that your church is no part of false religion that God says he will soon destroy. But your life depends on being 100 percent sure. Are you?"

Awake! September 8th, 1987

But, in response to any sincere questioning of their prophecies etc, the WBTS will just resort to attacking the source of the questioning - rather than simply using the Bible and disproving the allegations. Shoot the messenger! Any organisation (or individual) that tells followers not to listen to, or read, anything critical of that organisation, must be viewed with great suspicion. Why? There can be no justification whatsoever for such rules. Real TRUTH can take any amount of probing - that is what makes it the truth! False allegations, lies or even opinions, can be proved to be just that. Persons can then make up their own mind. As God intended!

Finally, a few last quotes:

"When persons are in great danger from a source that they do not suspect or are being misled by those they consider their friends, is it an unkindness to warn them? They may prefer not to believe the warning. They may even resent it. But does that free one from the moral responsibility to give that warning?" The Watchtower, Jan 15th, 1974)

William Brown, an English M.P. 1887 - 1960 had some interesting things to say about 'organisations' of any sorts."Whether the organisation be political, religious or social is immaterial to my present argument. The point is that, the idea having embodied itself in organisation, the organisation then proceeds gradually to slay the idea which gave it birth... In the case of a religious organisation, it's message will crystallise into a creed. Before long, the principal concern of the church will be to sustain itself as an organisation. To this end, any departure from the creed must be controverted and, if necessary suppressed as heresy. In a few score or few hundred years what was conceived as a vehicle of a new and higher truth has become a prison for the souls of men....The organisation develops a self interest which has no connection with, and becomes inimical to the idea with which it began. Now the thing which permits this process of diversion to take place, so that the organisation comes to stand for the opposite of the idea which originally inspired it, is the tendency of men and women to become Prisoners of the Organisation, instead of being Servants of the Spirit... the organisation becomes ..a channel through which particular interests must be served."

And Ironically:

"Beware of "organisation." It is wholly unnecessary. The Bible rules will be the only rules you will need. Do not seek to bind others' consciences, and do not permit others to bind yours. Believe and obey so far as you can understand God's Word to-day.."

Charles Taze Russell - Watchtower 1895 p 216

Unfortunately Russell was to change. And the rest, as they say, is history."Test everything. Hold on to the good." 1 Thess 5:21 (New International Version)

• garybuss
    garybuss
    Based upon the argument heretofore set forth, then, that the old order of things, the old world, is ending and is therefore passing away, and that the new order is coming in, and that 1925 shall mark the resurrection of the faithful worthies of old and the beginning of reconstruction, it is reasonable to conclude that millions of people now on the earth will be still on the earth in 1925. Then, based upon the promises set forth in the divine Word, we must reach the positive and indisputable conclusion that millions now living will never die.

MILLIONS NOW LIVING WILL NEVER DIE
    http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/millions/millions.html

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

It just boggles my mind how anyone can read that stuff and still think that the borg has the "truth". Now if they were to say, well we have what we think are some good beliefs and we aren't so sure about some things blah, blah, blah I could almost stomach it. But to still claim divine direction, and to (and this as has been pointed out countless times but I just need to vent) say if you don't believe every utterance of the borg you will be disfellowshipped is just insane. To me that is the greatest difference between the borg and other religions, the other groups allow a fair amount of latitude among their ranks which I can deal with.

I need to break something.

• Liberty II
    Liberty II

All of the information above is just more evidence that the entire JW/Watchtower religion is founded on absolute fantasy. Another JW belief which is also pure fiction concerns the WT Society claim that their "Good News will be preached to the entire inhabited World, and then the End will come". The fact that the population is growing faster everyday means that it is literally not possible to contact every person in the world even once with the relative handfull of active JWs who would find a whole new group of uncontacted adults appearing in the lag time of their ministry rotations. This doesn't even take into account the political and cultural barriers impentatrable to Western Philosophies like Watchtowerism. At this rate the big "A" would always be postponed to infinity, making the whole reason for being a JW (warning of the people of the World about the End ) irrelivant. If there was really a Jehover who had any fairness He could never bring the big "A" because there are now and always will be millions of people who have never had a chance to repent even if they wanted to.

• AlanF
  • GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I feel kind of bad but I was laughing while reading that entire article about the history of the Watchtowers predictions and Beth Sarim. You gotta hand it to em, they are AWESOME covering things up, twisting facts and demonizing dissenters.

More than anything I would have loved to be at that convention when Fred Franz said that "the princes had finally arrived, they are here today, at last!" and just as the audience is getting all worked up thinking that freaking David and Moses are in the stadium he drops the bomb that its only the congregation elders. LOL.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

Wonderful - thanks. I've printed (and am printing these pages) for here and the links.

Those of you who research and put together such information are doing a good thing.

How many has it saved from a cult?

Thanks again

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit