Happy St David's Day:)

by TheEdge 4 Replies latest jw friends

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

A very happy St David's day to everyone

• FMZ
    FMZ

Not sure what that is... but I am assuming it is a good excuse to drink.

Mmmm.... St. Beer day.

FMZ

• TheEdge
    TheEdge

lol FMZ - yep, that's the one - excuse to drink! Patron Saint of Wales...wear your daffodil with pride!

• FMZ
    FMZ

I am Welsh on my father's side. Guess that means I have to drink a few more out of respect and all.

I think I'm going to like today. Yep.. I am.

FMZ

• rebel8
    rebel8

Hmmm, never heard of St. David's Day. Interesting. What do you do to celebrate it? Been to several Saint days...all very different.

In NYC and in my city we have St. Gennaro festival, which is fun. The local one has great food, music, etc. The one in NYC is somewhat disappointing....it's many blocks of food and games....it includes Mexican and Oriental foods, which is strange for an Italian festival. After a block, you've seen it all...the subsequent blocks just repeat the 1st...same games, same vendors.

Here in upstate NY we make a big whoop out of St. Patrick's Day....supposedly because we have Irish immigrants here...the real reason is it's an excuse to drink. A bunch of drunken hicks dressed in cheesy outfits, standing out in the freezing cold for hours, acting like frat boys. Many of the people who march in the parade aren't even Irish. Very commercialized too. There's nothing cultural about it at all....as a person with a smidge of Irish heritage, I find it embarassing and degrading....if you're going to make a festival to celebrate your culture, at least put up some effort to show the good things about it besides alcohol....ok, rant over.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit