rove about

by peacefulpete 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I just did some further research on this verse. There are two versions of the LXX because Theodotion's version of Daniel was adopted in place of the Old Greek (LXX) version of Daniel, which was thought to have been poorly translated. The two are contrasted below:

OG LXX: ...heós an apomanósin ho polloi kai plésthé hé gé adikias "until the many rage furiously and the earth will be filled with unrighteousness".
    Theodotion: ...heós didakhthósin polloi kai pléthunthé hé gnósis "until many are taught and knowledge is increased".

The MT hd't "knowledge" is commonly thought to be a scribal error for hr'h "evil", as תעדה superficially resembles הערה. Theodotion's rendering reflects the MT and one commentary suggests that didakhthósin, which agrees thematically with gnósis "knowledge", was an error for diakhthósin (sorry, I can't get the gloss on this word). Regarding the OG version, there is a parallel in 1 Maccabees 1:9: "there were evils increased in the earth (epléthunan kaka en té gé)", which itself recalls Genesis 6:5: "the wichedness of man was great on the earth" (epléthunthésan hai kakiai tón anthropón epi tés gés).

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I read a funny thing about the old Witness interpretation of this verse in the bookshop today!!!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

And? Is that it? Did you have anything to contribute to this thread?

Considering that this is your 50th message of the day so far, I have a distinct impression you are trolling.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It was very funny, I laughed out loud, but I don't have the book, so I cannot quote it.

I should have gone to bed hours ago.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Thanks leolaia. I seemt o remember this conversation taking place a while back. Anyway I'm not sure where that takes us in determining if the author of matt was alluding to this verse when he said lawlessness would increase. The idea that terrible times would precede the return of the messiah was current in many works. The love cooling off part? Maybe that was the author/redactors response to poor attendance.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Ooops, I misread the last part of LXX (that's for responding too fast); diakhthôsin might mean "to melt down", "be broken down" or perhaps "spread" (diakheô) (?)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit