Juxtaposition and Bible understanding

by Narkissos 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

LittleToe,

You make a valid point about soaps. I once banned them in our house because they were causing my wife to get depressed. I could tell with absolute certainty when she'd been watching them for a few weeks.

How do you ban your wife from doing something? If I tried that with my wife she would play soccer with my head, after she had stir-fried my brain of course.

Bear in mind we have been married sixteen years and she informs me that we are a very happy together.

Best regards - HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Narkissos,

A very interesting post.

It was not until I studied the Arab poets that the Bible made much sense to me in any real historical context and framework. The Western mind in may ways lacks the dimensions neccessary to grasp the more fluid nature of Middle Eastern writings.

Though written much later, the concept of recurring themes in Arabian poetry was tantamount to its survival. These themes would and are juxtaposed in a curious deja-vu of time and space that is often foreign to our minds. Just as the time is measured differently in the Middle East, so is history.

William Burroughs, a C20th American writer, once wrote a book in which the first and last word on each page could carry on progressively with the first and last word of every other sheet. This gave the reader the ability to shuffle the sheets and carry on reading without losing the continuity ( if Burroughs ever followed a continuity in his writing! ) of the story. This reminds me very much of the way Middle Eastern literature is written and used. Many parts of the Bible make a little more sense when looked at from such a perspective.

Best regards - HS

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

HS:At the time I was a worthy "head" and she was a "dutiful wife"
    That went out the window as soon as I DA'ed.
    Quite the irony, since I had stopped being a jerk...

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Great posts.

And thanks to Euripides and HS for those valuable insights into other sections of the library of Babel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit