faith, faithlessness and judgmentalism

by pepheuga 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pepheuga
    pepheuga

it's a shame that nobody ever looked good in responding to the question, "do you have faith in god?", by answering "no". it makes one seem.....well, a bit of an onion. but why? i imagine that this is a product of the associating of faith only with objects worthy of our approval - when was the last time that anybody asked you if you had faith in the devil? - and the misappropriation of those *happy* vibes to the unfortunate subject, of whom the question is demanded. if one has the faith in the good thing, then somehow it is likely to be the case that one is a good person. if one doesn't have faith in the good thing, then one is seen to be deficient not only in faith but also in the goodness that is thought by the questioner to attend the object of this faith. one could try to deal with this, assuming it's a dub asking the question, by simply rubbishing their god - there's plenty of scope for that as we know - but it would be more interesting and honest to examine faith itself. unfortunately, this tends not to happen since the pondlife with whom one is talking has already started packing his bags. faith's very own self protection mechanism!

pepheuga

• Dustin
    Dustin

I can honestly say I have no faith in God. What has he done lately for the world, oh let's see, how about absolutely nothing. If he is out there it's obvious to me that he doesn't care. And that's fine with me, I'm still going to live my life as a good person. I believe there is probably something out there, but I'm not sure just how good it really is. The God of the Bible was fairly cruel and injust, and definitely not a God I want to serve. I may be wrong, I really don't know. Faith is something that requires us to put trust in somone or something. How can I put trust in a God who allows millions upon millions of innocent people to die. The answer is I can't. It's obvious he wasn't there for the people who died in the tsunami, who died in the hollucaust, or any other disaster we can think of. If he wasn't there to save them, why would he be there for me? The answer in my mind is God doesn't care anymore. Does that make me a bad person because I believe that? I don't think so. I try and treat others how I want to be treated. But I have no faith in a God of good and rightousness. I believe it doesn't exist.

Dustin

• El blanko
    El blanko

Hi there

You make some good points, but your post is hard to read due to it's formatting. I personally can't stand reading one huge block of text on screen.

Try breaking up the key points by using a new paragraph for instance.

Sorry for being picky and going off subject.

Cheers

El blanko

• El blanko
    El blanko
    What has he done lately for the world, oh let's see, how about absolutely nothing.

It depends whether you seperate God from all that we are I suppose. If you view God as being ' we happy few ' - all of the matter and energy combined, then what God has done for us is simple:

Without God we would not exist to enjoy and sometimes endure this life we share.

I usually believe that God runs through all and is all, thus, God is life.

That has become my major stumbling block with the JWs ... they create a remote God that I can no longer associate with the reality I feel.

• Dustin
    Dustin

El Blanko, you bring up some good points.

It just bothers me that I have been taught about this all powerful creator, who supposedly loves mankind and the world he/she/it created.

Yet look around, our life quality is all due to where we were born. Some countries offer much better quality of life than others. I just believe if there is a God like I was taught he should do something about mankinds' problems. He should help mankind restore the Earth.

Maybe you are right though. Maybe God is something inside each and everyone of us. I just wish I had the answers. All I really know is I've come to have no faith in God. That makes me sad, because I see no real hope for the future.

Dustin

• El blanko
    El blanko
    Maybe you are right though. Maybe God is something inside each and everyone of us. I just wish I had the answers. All I really know is I've come to have no faith in God. That makes me sad, because I see no real hope for the future.

All I can tell you, is that I know how you feel.

I exist within each day and try to make the best of each day and basically, I'm waiting to see what happens in the future.

I read a little, think a little, sleep a little and eat a little.

It's all we can do really.

I also know that virtue is always worth pursuing regardless of our belief system.

Personally, I'm tired of the debating and have been for a few months.

• Dustin
    Dustin

Debating about answers to questions that have no attainable answers does get tiring.

I'm sure we'll both find out someday when this life is over.

In the meantime I think it's important to try and be happy and make each day count.

Dustin

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

what is faith?

seems to me faith is a gamble on an option which appears unreal and without evidence....

there are times when you may trust a friend and make such gambles... but it seems to me that the use of faith arose mainly in con artistry... a con artist must make the mark be convinc ed that he has something of value to sell or give in exchange when he does not.

The history of all religions show nothing but evidence for this in my view... not one of them can produce more than STORIES about their god's mighty acts and deeds, but all of them want something from you with the only promise that you will be rewarded somehow and mostly after you are dead.

as I was leaving the JWs it occurred to me that it did not seem right that a real god would be a god of con artistry instead of simple hoensty.... faith is rooted in excuse making for a complete lack of reality...

but then the bible god is called the shepherd, and what more fitting symbol of a con artist as shepherds are predators who fleece and slaughter their flocks while seeming better than wolves because they care of the sheep, but not with regard to the sheep, but to their own long term benefit.

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I have to say I must stand up for my belief in God. For me I believe - why I asked if He was there and got an answer that was stunning. I've been a missionary and I've seen some well freaky stuff but I've also had some very special experiences that convince me of God's existence much more than bible stories do. The arguement that you can't prove God is just so much smoke and mirrors - why does everything have to be proved - what on earth does proof mean. You can give me any proof you want and I can use reason to disprove it. What I'm far more interested in than proof is experience . I feel the world is very like the zen concept of the stream - forever in flux and totally interconnected. Faith is doing something about that interconnectedness. If its good it will feel / result in good. To continue the zen analogy don't sit on the river bank whinging about the inability to define the river - it doesn't need defining you just have to step in and experince it. Life has things that make us happy - that is truth - life also has things that make us unhappy - that's not truth. What I'm trying to say is stop worrying whether God exists or not, look for things that are true and make you ahppy - if God does exist that will become self evident - if He doesn't then whatever is true will manifest itself. God's in my stream:) Ewwww I sound so born again....

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Sorry 'bout the formatting - mozilla just ignores it! Maybe I should use IE.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit