Traumatic memories never grow up, neither does the person

by wanderlustguy 22 Replies latest jw friends

• MissFit
    MissFit

((((LOIS)))) I feel for you. I am glad you have found some understanding and answers. Maybe it helps so we can stop blaming ourselves or wondering what was wrong with us.

My sister was molested by several different men at different times when she was very young. She once told me she thought something was wrong with her to make them target her. She asked why her?

Maybe understanding why can take a burden off our shoulders so we can heal.

Sometimes the only answers we get are sometimes: monsters do exist and evil happens.

• MissFit
    MissFit

Bttt. For the newer crop of posters.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

We can't mentally revisit the time when we were taken advantage of by an older stronger person, revisiting with our current knowledge and strength and fortitude. We are eternally at that stage in our lives in that memory.

Isn't this condition called "Arrested Development" ? It happens to drug addicts, alcoholics and trauma victims. Their emotional development or maturity stays at the same level they were at when they first starting "using" or were first "abused" and doesn't progress beyond that point until they face up to whatever reality they are numbing themselves to.

I suppose a religion could do the same thing if you were using it as a means to hide from or delude yourself the realities of life. That's one of the reasons JW's have such a rough go of things when they leave. They suddenly have to get used to the idea of growing old and dying and have to rid theselves of the magical thinking they've been engaging in for so long.

"Die Religion ... ist das Opium des Volkes".... ("Religion is the Opium of the People" -Karl Marx)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit