JW's campaign of intimidation

by IT Support 12 Replies latest jw friends

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

See, I'm so eager I double-posted.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Well, Ken, I hope they publish yours, because it's better. :-)

Here's the one I sent:

I am writing in response to the article "Rights essential to our heritage," which appeared in the Toronto Star on February 22, 2005. I read the article with interest, and I found it especially ironic that Mr. Axworthy cited the work of John Diefenbaker in fighting for the rights of Jehovah's Witnesses. This religious group has campaigned long and hard for freedom of religious expression in the United States and Canada, and it often portrays itself as a key establisher and defender of related rights. The irony is that this same group has long worked to supress freedom of expression when the thoughts being expressed do not suit them. One historic way they have done this is to prohibit members from communicating to former members, under pain of excommunication and subsequent shunning from friends and family. Recently, however, the Watchtower Society (their legal embodiment) has been directing a concentrated effort to shut down web sites that present valuable information to people interested in researching the group. For example, quotes.watchtower.ca is a web site that presents quotations, in context, from the publications of the Watchtower Society over the years, arranged by theme. This is an important site because the Watchtower Society tries very hard to obscure changes in doctrine and failed predictions that have occurred over the years. The Quotes web site is one of many that have received Cease and Desist letters from the Watchtower Society based on flimsy grounds. The purpose of this campaign is to supress the ability of members and the public to access non-authorized views and material on the religious group. For a religion that has often trumpeted their achievements for the cause of freedom of expression, the irony - some would say hypocrisy - in the situation is extreme.
    I tried to keep it simple and avoid repeating the details that you wrote about. Also, I was trying to keep it under their 300-word limit. This letter squeeks under at 294. SNG
  • IT Support
    IT Support

SNG,

Great letter.

This is an important site because the Watchtower Society tries very hard to obscure changes in doctrine and failed predictions that have occurred over the years.

Good point.

I was trying to keep it under their 300-word limit.

Damn, I missed that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit