Yoga vs Pilates....................

by HEAVENS DESTINY 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• HEAVENS DESTINY
    HEAVENS DESTINY

Does anybody know if Pilates is another form of Yoga?

• Odrade
    Odrade

Pilates is a lot closer to the "original" Swedish Gymnastics developed by Per Henrik Ling in the early 19th century. Ling is considered one of the fathers of Swedish massage. He believed that certain systems of passive and active movements provided health and could cure certain chronic conditions.

Pilates was developed into a specific protocol by Joseph Pilates for much the same purpose. His focus was on stretching, strengthening and balancing, as well as breathing, for much the same purpose as Ling's Swedish Gymnastics.

Yoga, on the other hand, encompasses a pretty wide range of health habits, meditation, spiritual practices, etc. You can do it for just the stretches, or it can become a way of life. The closer equivalent, in my opinion, would be qi-gong.

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

Although they seem similar yoga and pilates have totally seperate roots and very different philosophies. Yoga has its roots in Hindu ideals and tends to be very mystical in nature. Hence the reason a lot of Christians shy away from it. Pilates was developed by a German guy who adapted it from rehabilitive techniques during wartime. It is more of a body-mind approach with an emphasis on breathing techniques rather than yogas mind-body-spirit approach. Yoga gets more into daily life philosophies, acheiving balance and wholeness etc.

In my opinion they're both great. But if youre looking for toning your muscles and getting more flexibility go for pilates. Yoga would be a better choice for flexibility, stress relief and personal reflection.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I went to pick out a Pilates DVD yesterday.......so many to choose from.

I wound up getting one by Jennifer Kries.

Is anyone person better than another?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Qi gong and Tai Chi can be a little easier on the body, IMHO.

Their philosophical roots are in Chinese Taoism.

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

I've done some Tai Chi- I love it. Very low impact and great for those stress filled days. With three kids I have more than my share of those!

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

I always wanted to try Yoga! I need someone to go with.

Brooke

• Dustin
    Dustin

Is it socially correct for guys to do pilates?

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Dustin you should do the Yoga thing but do it like the show Jackass! Did you ever see that episode?

Brooke

• Dustin
    Dustin

I didn't see that one, but I can just imagine. Steve-O is the shit!!! Can I wear my leather speedo while doing it?

Dustin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit