New York Cities legendary PLAZA HOTEL will close its doors.....

by franklin J 14 Replies latest social current

• pc
    pc

Hey Franklin, I would met you guys too for a cocktail in the City!!!PC

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I've never been to the Plaza or visited New York but I think it's a shame such a beautiful building will be changed for the worse. The building has character which is sadly lacking in a lot of modern buildings even with all their innovations.

I've signed up to save it.

• franklin J
    franklin J

latest update....

All the fighting is beginning to have an effect....I have been one of the more vocal "activists" concerning the interior landmarking of this great New York icon. Yesterday I was interviewed by German TV; broadcasting tomorrow in Germany with an interperter, about my experiences with the Hotel and why am I fighting to prerserve it.

" because it is one of the great landmarks of NYC, so soon after losing the WTC and 9/11"

It seems the politicians of NYC are linking arms and not cooperating with the new owners of The Plaza ( an Israeli real estate conglomerate) as to obtaining approvals. The new owners application to the Landmarks commission of NYC to make alterations has been withdrawn.

Alas, the doors are closing to the public on April 30th. A long standing bar tender in the Oak Bar at the Hotel has invited my wife and I to a closing party ....I feel like I am losing an old friend.....

anyone interesting in joining the fight www.savetheplaza.com www.friendsoftheplaza.com

ITS NOT OVER TIL ITS OVER.....

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Hey, Frank! Wasn't Ivana Trump the owner of the Plaza?

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

Thanks for the update Frank. In the UK we have 'listed buildings' that are graded according to historical importance and architectural splendour. Even if you buy them you can't knock them down or make alterations unless you want a massive ass-kicking from English Heritage. Doesn't the US have any sort of scheme like that? Or would it be possible for the New York authorities to start one and put the Plaza on it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit