Rent question

by NoLongerAjw 14 Replies latest jw friends

• the_classicist
  • Purza
    Purza

Well. . . . I am a landlord and in California all you need to give is 30 days notice. Unless the tenant is a section 8 tenant -- then it is 60 days notice.

We just bought some property and my fiancee told all the renters that the rent was going up $25 and he gave them about a 7 day notice. I told him that 7 days wasn't legal and he said "lets see what they do". Sure enough the tenants paid the extra $25 on the first. So maybe if you tell the landlord that he has to give you at least 30 days --- you would be calling his bluff.

Just a thought.

Purza

PS -- is there rent control in the county where you live?

• fairchild
    fairchild

As far as I know, your landlord did nothing wrong in terms of time. If you rent month by month, then the landlord does not have to tell you too long in advance that the rent is going up. However, what would worry me more is the amount your rent went up with. $70 seems like a lot all at once. You might want to check and see if there are any laws against that. If you have been living there for 8 years, then you also might want to insist upon a lease.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Here in South Dakota the notice period is spelled out in the terms of the lease. Mine says one calendar month.

• NoLongerAjw
    NoLongerAjw

HI, thanks for the replys... :)

We do not have rent control where we live.. So he can raise it as much as he wants to... I am not complaning about that.. even though the 70 bucks doesnt seem much to some of you .. it is a 40% increase to me.. I live in a very small rural town in Indiana so homes and rent are not much... actually it is only the property that is rented I own the mobile home.. before you laugh... i bought it new.. on what i made making min. wage while being a witness so that was good for me.. .. lol anyway i was just curious if there was a teneat/landlord law that he had to give me more the 7 days notice.

thank you for the replys..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit