Comments You Will Not Hear At the 2-20-05 WT Study (Late Posting)

by blondie 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• El blanko
    El blanko

Hi Sheri & welcome

Just keep on researching with an open mind and heart. The society do not have all the answers and eventually demand a pact of loyalty based around their reasoning that they are God's one and only channel upon the earth.

I also used to have a problem with the date for the destruction of Jerusalem, but out of sheer desperation during my study (many moons ago now) I chose to ignore the inconsistences and got baptized regardless.

It is only now, several years later, that I have come to my senses and allow myself to examine all available evidence without prejudice.

All the best!

• Sheri
    Sheri

Thanks for the reply. I have been a witness for over 20 years, I was not very clear in my post, but I am the bible study teacher, not the student. I feel like I am seeing the light for the first time and I know that my relationship with Jehovah and Jesus is the between me and them, not the GB. This will not be easy but I do feel at peace and happy with myself. Yes I will miss some who I know will shun me but at least I am being true to my God.

Sheri

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Did you notice again that the theme scripture talks about Christians being "witnesses of Jesus" not JWs?

This is just their semi-annual "See, we preach about Jesus, too" boilerplate article. That way the dubs have something they can cite whenever it is pointed out (as you do almost every week) that they are clearly uncomfortable with the whole "Jesus Christ is Lord" thing.

JWs want to stand out as different from other religions, so they painted themselves into this anti-Christ corner decades ago and can't get out.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Blondie, thanks for finding the time to post this.. I always feel happy to just be able to be a part of the study somehow.. its just a habit even though I know its all bullshit.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Are JWs getting primed for a lesson in broken expectations? Yes.

In paragraph 10 the article says:

"Jesus promised some of them the very thing he denied the faithless Jews - a sign from heaven. 'Trully I say to you,' Jesus says, 'there are some of those standing here that will not taste death at all until first they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.'" (Matthew 6:28)

Sounds pretty definite to me, but wrong, no kingdom, and all die. Peter, James, and John instead get the "transformation."

Then failed expectation #2 (paragraph 14):

"After his resurrection, Jesus appears to his disciples by the Sea of Galilee. There he tells Peter: 'If it is my will for [John] to remain until I come, of what concern is it to you?' (John 21:1, 20-22, 24) Do these words indicate that the apostle John would outlive the other apostles? Apparently so, for he serves Jehovah faithfully for almost another 70 years. However, there is more to Jesus' statement."

Disregarding that the paragraph is stuffed with assumption, it sounds as if John get's to see Christ's return. Wrong, no kingdom, John does die, replete with another hallucination that happens to preserve a shread of hope in Christ for 2 millennia.

Paragraph 15 ends with this:

"John is so deeply moved by these spectacular visions that when Jesus says: 'Yes; I am coming quickly,' John exclaims: 'Amen! Come, Lord Jesus.'"

At least that sucker died happy. Amost 2,000 years later, JWs can point to Jesus' vague promises as proof of divine backing. See no one got what they expected, so we can be proud to be dissapointed.

Next week we learn how true that is.

• El blanko
    El blanko

Sheri:

Oh I see. No problem at all. It must be very difficult for you, but as you say:

This will not be easy but I do feel at peace and happy with myself.

... and that is the main thing I believe. Why live what you believe to be lie? I'd rather be free mentally, than chained to lies.

All the best.

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Blondie:

Excellent work as usual. I especially enjoyed the "blast from the past" article about Jesus wearing a beard; I was a child of eight when this "new light" dawned, and I remember the ruckus. There was quite a bit of the "aren't we glad that things keep getting clearer" talk in my congregation.

I was quite confused by the whole thing and annoyed the older folks in the congregation to no end with my questions about WHY we didn't know Jesus had a beard until now, and how were we going to apologize to all the people who we'd told he didn't? In particular, I'd made quite a fuss about my "worldly" great aunt's picture of Jesus--the traditional blonde, blue-eyed, bearded Christ--and was concerned about how I was going to apologize.

I was more disturbed than relieved at being told I didn't have to apologize; I can't really remember the logic used, but my mother said, "Just don't mention it again." The beginning of the end of my trust in the WTBS, that's for sure. And now I recognize that my great aunt, with all her patience, love and generosity, was one of the truest Christians I ever knew, bless her heart.

Jankyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit