The Iraqi Problem - an Overview and Solution

by Village Idiot 24 Replies latest social current

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

@LUHE: "Boots on the ground? I'm not so sure."

The Kurds are few in number and don't have the manpower to do everything that is necessary to choke of ISIS including guarding those oil fields which give them 1-3 million dollars a day worth of funding. A relatively large number of troops would also be needed, temporarily, to guard the borders through which ISIS smuggle supplies in and sell oil out. 

We would only have to be there for less than a year as they mop up the last remnants of ISIS.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

A relatively large number of troops would also be needed, temporarily, to guard the borders - that sounds like a good idea, I agree with that.

The OP mentioned three groups - Sunni, Shia and Kurd. What about the Iraqi Christians and Yezidi? 

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

@LUHE: "What about the Iraqi Christians and Yezidi?"

Christians number about 1.5 million in Iraq. Yazidis number about 500,000 - 700,000. Arming and guiding them with backup support should be helpful in reclaiming their own territory. I don't think that a sovereign state would be necessary for either one. The Yazidi are ethnic Kurds.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    I don't think that a sovereign state would be necessary for either one - so, where would they live? Who would have them?
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

@LUHE:  "...so, where would they live? Who would have them?"

They would basically live where they were until their dislocation. The Yazidis, as I mentioned, are ethnic Kurds so they would live in 'Kurdistan'. The Christians, to my knowledge live mostly in northern Iraq In, I believe, in mostly Kurdish territory. I don't think, though I'm not sure, that the Kurds would persecute them. Christians and Yazidis were mostly left alone until ISIS came along.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit